Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 105 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

From today's D.O.: "The design for the new Carrier Dome roof is complete, and the university is working with the city to get a permit for construction, Sala said. He said steel installation for the roof is scheduled to begin in fall 2019. The actual roof replacement is expected to begin in March 2020 and be completed by September of that year. "
Fall 2019? That already suggests a slip in the schedule. Didn’t they say originally that roof prep work was going to begin right after commencement?

Fall 2019? That already suggests a slip in the schedule. Didn’t they say originally that roof prep work was going to begin right after commencement?
I don't think so...still on track for September 2020

I thought that as well. Perhaps site work will start after commencement but steel won't be ready to be put in place until the Fall?

Looks like Carrier...that is a package unit. Condenser and evaporator in one box
They still didnt call out and say, "air conditioning provided by Carrier our long standing partner."

I think it's interesting.

They still didnt call out and say, "air conditioning provided by Carrier our long standing partner."

I think it's interesting.
Meh. It was a tweet by someone at Hendricks who probably doesn't have a clue who manufactured the unit..

Meh. It was a tweet by someone at Hendricks who probably doesn't have a clue who manufactured the unit..
I'm just guessing too... I've seen them use different colors on package rooftop units

Got home and looking at it on a real computer screen (vs a smart phone)...I think it is for a chiller. Similar to AC systems you know but it uses water vs freon as the catalyst to remove warm air. I don't think it is a Carrier System either.

Got home and looking at it on a real computer screen (vs a smart phone)...I think it is for a chiller. Similar to AC systems you know but it uses water vs freon as the catalyst to remove warm air. I don't think it is a Carrier System either.
I disagree that unit in the pic is a commercial Air Handler.

And I know so because I read it in one of those campus update articles that I can't find right now. ;)
OK found it.
February Construction Update - Campus Framework – Syracuse University
Hendricks Chapel: The contractor is preparing for the final step of the project to install the air handlers during spring break. These HVAC improvements include the addition of air conditioning to the chapel and are scheduled for completion by May for Commencement events in the chapel.

Last edited:
Nice.

Is the plan to use this chiller system to cool the building formerly known as the Carrier Dome when it gets AC?
That is the plan. Hopefully the engineers do their homework and it can handle the volume of space.

Nice.

Is the plan to use this chiller system to cool the building formerly known as the Carrier Dome when it gets AC?
From what I was told that is the plan but it requires an upgrade to the Chilled Water Plant to handle the load.

From what I was told that is the plan but it requires an upgrade to the Chiller System to handle the load.
You think they will try to cool the whole dome or focus on the concourses?

You think they will try to cool the whole dome or focus on the concourses?
I don't know. The Dome is currently heated with air handlers. Those could just be modified to add AC. The issue would be the upgrading of the Chilled Water plant to carry the load and there are other buildings under construction, such as the Vet Center, that are ahead of the Dome renovation.

Lets hope they dont forget to include bodies in the equation. Kinda like the library engineering team forgot the weight of the books.
And the extra gas and heat created after eating the fine Dome food

My understanding the inside volume of conditioned air required is larger than what we have now. You have to factor in that increase too.

Last edited:
Lets hope they dont forget to include bodies in the equation. Kinda like the library engineering team forgot the weight of the books.
Rumor was that they did the same thing with the dome. Happy to report opening night went off without a hitch and the dome supported the SRO crowd. Only problem encountered was the orange painted railings were still a little tacky as the the finishing crew was working right up to game time.

Didn't we already know this? The roof was coming down March 1, 2020. No chance lacrosses or graduation were happening in the Dome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom