Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 136 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

This went up about three weeks ago and I've been dying to ask around about who's responsible.

Not to be that guy, but I thought it looks ridiculous, doesn't fit the design at all.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

I didn't really want to post such a drive-by negative take, but I feel like Elaine Benes yelling about The English Patient: I hate it!

It's better suited for an athletic building (and even that's a stretch), but it's totally tacked on without any contextual relationship to the rest of the design. Really, though, if any logo belongs on there it would be SU's academic seal.

The whole building is over-signed. They've got the NVRC name in one spot, the large new (wordy) D'Aniello name signs on the front and west sides, and then above a couple of the doors I guess SU insisted on tacking on "At Syracuse University," which looks extra absurd...no other building has that - they're all at Syracuse University, we know this.

Seems to be a trend. SUCOL's new building has a few extraneous words, the football warehouse that should've just been named "Ensley Hall" has a huge mess of a sign, and we know my opinions on the Archbold situation. I shudder to think what Schine's going to look like in a few months.

Otto...I take it as a branding touch.

I have to see it in person first before criticizing...but I generally agree it looks off. The OCD in me was triggered too.

Yup, that's really what it boils down to. Something hard-wired in me just can't accept it.

There's nothing better then reading your rants on local matters and campus issues. We gotta get you your own column. IPAs and Framework Discussion with OM.

And these are just the rants that I'm comfortable putting into print!

(Happy birthday, BTW.)

And these are just the rants that I'm comfortable putting into print!

(Happy birthday, BTW.)

LOL, the other rants have to be narrated by your wife but thats a special session your readers have to pay extra for. Includes a Heady Topper or Focal Banger. Thanks!

I didn't really want to post such a drive-by negative take, but I feel like Elaine Benes yelling about The English Patient: I hate it!

It's better suited for an athletic building (and even that's a stretch), but it's totally tacked on without any contextual relationship to the rest of the design. Really, though, if any logo belongs on there it would be SU's academic seal.

The whole building is over-signed. They've got the NVRC name in one spot, the large new (wordy) D'Aniello name signs on the front and west sides, and then above a couple of the doors I guess SU insisted on tacking on "At Syracuse University," which looks extra absurd...no other building has that - they're all at Syracuse University, we know this.

Seems to be a trend. SUCOL's new building has a few extraneous words, the football warehouse that should've just been named "Ensley Hall" has a huge mess of a sign, and we know my opinions on the Archbold situation. I shudder to think what Schine's going to look like in a few months.
I assure you at least in most cases that the architect has little control over signage, annoying as it usually is. We had no say over the “warehouse” you mention. In fact, Ensley has more say and delayed the installation IIRC. I did a large science building at Kean University and they waited a year after occupying to ruin it with logos and seals.

I assure you at least in most cases that the architect has little control over signage, annoying as it usually is. We had no say over the “warehouse” you mention. In fact, Ensley has more say and delayed the installation IIRC. I did a large science building at Kean University and they waited a year after occupying to ruin it with logos and seals.

I was going to mention this but couldn't think of a way to do it that wasn't in poor taste: the donors (generous as they are - certainly more generous than I would be even if I had their money) often force some borderline self-aggrandizing and aesthetically questionable choices into the contract language. It's kind of a new phenomenon and it doesn't seem to get much attention.

Imagine if John Archbold or any of those Crouses had demanded that their names be slapped onto their buildings on the scale that we've seen recently.

I remember the days of the Regatta on Onondaga Lake. Referred to by Sports Illustrated as the world's largest outdoors cocktail party.
Gotta Regatta. Love those kegs.

I feel like everything should have a giant Orange Block-S as a decorative feature.

I still like the the SU seal, but I am probably a few years older than you. The Block "S" is a good symbol, just not my favorite.

1594856972765.png

1594857006456.png

1594857056236.png

Last edited:
One time I was hanging out at Schine after class and I was approached by a random recruiter of some kind to consider trying out for the SU Crew team... 6’4 is like a honing device or something, haha. My sister rowed at Hamilton though!

There's nothing better then reading your rants on local matters and campus issues. We gotta get you your own column. IPAs and Framework Discussion with OM.
Ben's Blog. Make it happen. :cool:

Yup, that's really what it boils down to. Something hard-wired in me just can't accept it.
I make sure to report Otto’s perspective to everyone I can ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom