Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 139 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

They might have but an orange tree costs like $100.

I think it is more likely that they got rid of that semi opaque roof above where the tree was that let enough natural light in to allow the tree to survive living indoors.

What a shame.
I've got some grow lights (for my "tomato" plants) I can donate, if light is the problem.

They might have but an orange tree costs like $100.

I think it is more likely that they got rid of that semi opaque roof above where the tree was that let enough natural light in to allow the tree to survive living indoors.

What a shame.
Yeah, I'm not even an alumnus, but the idea of having an orange tree growing in CNY when you're "The Orange" is pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm not even an alumnus, but the idea of having an orange tree growing in CNY when you're "The Orange" is pretty cool.
I know SU does research on trees and genetics. There is certainly the expertise to make this happen.

BTW, I had read about this tree but didn't realize it was right on the Quad. Check it out the next time you are on campus and the weather is decent.

Last edited:
I know SU does research on trees and genetics. There is certainly the expertise to make this happen.
BTW, I had read about this tree but didn't realize it was right on the Quad. Check it out the next time you are on campus and the weather is decent.

Yeah, it's near the corner of Hinds, across from the Ben Shahn mural, and I think the tree has some cousins down in front of the Everson on Harrison Street. Pretty neat up close.

Yeah, it's near the corner of Hinds, across from the Ben Shahn mural, and I think the tree has some cousins down in front of the Everson on Harrison Street. Pretty neat up close.

The one on campus shows up right on google maps.

They caught the perfect window for that photo: several types of blossoms at peak, but not covered with a May snowfall.
Syracuse only averages one tenth of an inch of snow in the month of May. Measurable snow, or more than a trace, has occurred in Syracuse only 13 times since records have been kept the last almost 120 years! ... The latest measurable May snowfall occurred on May 17th in 1973. (May 5, 2020)

Syracuse only averages one tenth of an inch of snow in the month of May. Measurable snow, or more than a trace, has occurred in Syracuse only 13 times since records have been kept the last almost 120 years! ... The latest measurable May snowfall occurred on May 17th in 1973. (May 5, 2020)

I know, I usually scoff at the weather hyperbole too, but this is fresh on my mind because last night my wife was showing me a bunch of photos of me and our kid spreading mulch and then playing in the snow on consecutive days last spring. That memory of bright green leaves on the larch tree/strong sunshine/and a heavy coat of snow on the no-longer-dormant grass is a funny one. It was a striking sight.

I recall a mother's day in the middle 90's where we had measurable snow. I had just bought a boat, it was in the water and measurable snow was on the canvas cover. All I thought was it was all my fault for buying a boat.

I recall a mother's day in the middle 90's where we had measurable snow. I had just bought a boat, it was in the water and measurable snow was on the canvas cover. All I thought was it was all my fault for buying a boat.
They have to take the measurement somewhere. I'm guessing you don't live at the airport.

Yeah, I remember a Mother's Day when my parents had just returned from their winter in Florida. We took my Mom out for brunch and there was at least an inch in the parking lot of the restaurant. I forgot was restaurant, I think it's closed now. I think that was in Cicero.

I know, I usually scoff at the weather hyperbole too, but this is fresh on my mind because last night my wife was showing me a bunch of photos of me and our kid spreading mulch and then playing in the snow on consecutive days last spring. That memory of bright green leaves on the larch tree/strong sunshine/and a heavy coat of snow on the no-longer-dormant grass is a funny one. It was a striking sight.
Your snow comment about May made you good buds with all the Yukon fans who think Syracuse is the Tundra.

Yeah, I remember a Mother's Day when my parents had just returned from their winter in Florida. We took my Mom out for brunch and there was at least an inch in the parking lot of the restaurant. I forgot was restaurant, I think it's closed now. I think that was in Cicero.
Plainville Turkey Farm...that is my guess

Ouch!

It's ironic, because Storrs actually is the tundra. The most desolate, lifeless place in the Northeast, nothing compares.
It is a plucky place...even a bit gritty

I hear the Mac n Cheese is worth going to jail for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom