Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 140 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I recall a mother's day in the middle 90's where we had measurable snow. I had just bought a boat, it was in the water and measurable snow was on the canvas cover. All I thought was it was all my fault for buying a boat.

Mother's Day May 12, 1996. 2.1 inches of snow. I remember it like it was yesterday. Tully and parts of the Tug Hill got 5". SU had to delay the start of commencement that morning. If I remember correctly, I believe we hit 90 degrees a week or so later.

Mother's Day May 12, 1996. 2.1 inches of snow. I remember it like it was yesterday. Tully and parts of the Tug Hill got 5". SU had to delay the start of commencement that morning. If I remember correctly, I believe we hit 90 degrees a week or so later.

That was my 4th year (architecture is 5) and my two roommates were graduating. None of us could believe it.

The next year, while preparing to make the drive from NJ, my mother called and asked what she should wear/expect from the weather at my own graduation. I replied, "I have no idea". When she and my father said they'd bring an umbrella, but just wanted to know if it was 50 degrees or 80 degrees in the forecast, I told them "It was 60 degrees Saturday and then it snowed 3"-4" on Sunday last year". Silence on the other end.

That was my 4th year (architecture is 5) and my two roommates were graduating. None of us could believe it.

The next year, while preparing to make the drive from NJ, my mother called and asked what she should wear/expect from the weather at my own graduation. I replied, "I have no idea". When she and my father said they'd bring an umbrella, but just wanted to know if it was 50 degrees or 80 degrees in the forecast, I told them "It was 60 degrees Saturday and then it snowed 3"-4" on Sunday last year". Silence on the other end.
This is a story people who have spent some time in CNY can truly appreciate.

I should start telling people I was an architecture major.

1611754907747.png

I'm sure Panda West and the halal place a block away on Marshall Street really appreciate this programming by their tax-exempt neighbor.

In design news, workers have been installing vertical louvers on the south facade of the re-clad portion of Schine in the last few days. Not sure if this is intended to cover the whole building face, but it'd go a long way in improving its appearance, I think.

Any news on the status of lighting up the Dome's roller coaster and exterior with those Musco LED's? I thought I read here somewhere (perhaps the crane thread) that that was going to be done, and sooner than later.

Any news on the status of lighting up the Dome's roller coaster and exterior with those Musco LED's? I thought I read here somewhere (perhaps the crane thread) that that was going to be done, and sooner than later.

I thought that it was just "under consideration: for Phase 2.

After the financial hit the university and the athletic dept took this year, who knows.

This is a story people who have spent some time in CNY can truly appreciate.
"Weather changes hour to hour, get used to it" - Russian in Rocky IV

Share some memories? Don't mind if I do!!

(the names have been changed to protect the guilty)

So, the Schine student center opens, and my Lawrinson floormates (and possibly I - plausible deniability) decide to go over and check it out.
This particular day, 2 things happened to add to the aura:
1 - we did a ton of shrooms
2 - it snowed, and there were a bunch of students out on the Lawrinson "beach" having a massive snowball fight.

So, we partook in the snowball shenanigans for quite a while, none of us wearing coats because - tripping balls. And speaking of balls, the snowballs all had tracer lines, so it made for an amazing visual.

We get to Schine, and we're hanging out, making jokes, and they had these little paper pyramid thingies EVERYWHERE, representing the pyramid glass thingie on top of the Schine itself.
We start grabbing them, messing around, and eventually we had rounded up pretty much all of them.

We started having a Deep Thoughts conversation, wondering where they all came from?
Are they kept in a closet someplace? Do they shovel them out at night?
How did they get there?
How do they reproduce?

I go over and grab what looks like that last pyramid in sight , pick it up, when - PLOOP! -
another pyramid falls out of the bottom of it!
We had just witnessed the miracle and beauty of birth!!! :p

The expression - ROTFL - applied literally to all of us in this moment.
Just laughing and crying hysterically over this stupidity.
Ah, college! Best seven years of my life...

I have another story from a year later, which involves getting chased by Campus Security...

So, the Schine student center opens, and my Lawrinson floormates (and possibly I - plausible deniability) decide to go over and check it out.
2 - it snowed, and there were a bunch of students out on the Lawrinson "beach" having a massive snowball fight.

So, we partook in the snowball shenanigans for quite a while, none of us wearing coats because - tripping balls. And speaking of balls, the snowballs all had tracer lines, so it made for an amazing visual.

We get to Schine, and we're hanging out, making jokes, and they had these little paper pyramid thingies EVERYWHERE, representing the pyramid glass thingie on top of the Schine itself.
We start grabbing them, messing around, and eventually we had rounded up pretty much all of them.

We started having a Deep Thoughts conversation, wondering where they all came from?
How did they get there?
How do they reproduce?

I go over and grab what looks like that last pyramid in sight , pick it up, when - PLOOP! -

I have another story from a year later, which involves getting chased by Campus Security...
I thank god everyday there was no internet when we were in school

How did they get there?
How do they reproduce?

The “Lawrinson beach“ was always very small on my way out to Euclid but so big when I came home. I always hoped I hooked up with a girl on Mount Olympus so I could avoid that part of the walk. The wind was Intense!

I thought that it was just "under consideration: for Phase 2.

After the financial hit the university and the athletic dept took this year, who knows.
There was a news story on one of the local TV stations this week. I think it was on the likelihood that the dome was going to start allowing crowds in February (students only). At the end of the story, the reporter, who was reporting what the university had said, mentioned that new lighting on the exterior of the stadium and the crown truss was going to be installed before the next football season.

Confirmation that lighting is still going to happen. Yay!

Last edited:
There was a news story on one of the local TV stations this week. I think it was on the likelihood that the dome was going to start allowing crowds in February (students only). At the end of the story, the reporter, who was reporting what the university had said, mentioned that new lighting on the exterior of the stadium and the crown truss was going to be installed before the next football season.

Confirmation that lighting is still going to happen. Yay!
Do you remember what channel and day? I'd like to watch the video.

I know it well. I worked at the firm that designed it. They also designed the Ensley Center. I am more accepting of it there, as it is an athletic facility and remote from campus. The Reitz Center is MUCH larger, in a totally different campus setting and even at that a bit more classy than the Schine reno (just my opinion).

the pic above looks like an airport

I believe it was channel 5 but I can’t swear to that. Believe it was a female reporter. Maybe Mary Kielar?

The more I think about it, I believe the focus of the story was on the release of the 2021 football schedule for SU. After going over the schedule, just before she finished, she added that there was something else for Syracuse fans to look forward to in the 2021 season: new lighting in and on top of the dome.

I think she her story included footage of Pete Sala talking about how the new lighting and sound systems and the center hung scoreboard were going to enhance the fan experience in a big way and were a reason for fans to come to the games. I think the interview was filmed that day. Pete looked really cold and had a mask on. I assume Pete told her this in passing while she was interviewing him and she decided to throw it into the end of her report.

Anyway, I am sure the story aired on the 6 pm newscast, right near the end (where sports is aired) and the date was Thursday night.

I believe it was channel 5 but I can’t swear to that. Believe it was a female reporter. Maybe Mary Kielar?

The more I think about it, I believe the focus of the story was on the release of the 2021 football schedule for SU. After going over the schedule, just before she finished, she added that there was something else for Syracuse fans to look forward to in the 2021 season: new lighting in and on top of the dome.

I think she her story included footage of Pete Sala talking about how the new lighting and sound systems and the center hung scoreboard were going to enhance the fan experience in a big way and were a reason for fans to come to the games. I think the interview was filmed that day. Pete looked really cold and had a mask on. I assume Pete told her this in passing while she was interviewing him and she decided to throw it into the end of her report.

Anyway, I am sure the story aired on the 6 pm newscast, right near the end (where sports is aired) and the date was Thursday night.
He might have been referring to the different colors the roof can be changed to, not the actual outside of the Dome. You can see the different colors from the outside too. Just a thought.

I believe it snowed on Columbus Day the prior year, bookending the “season.”

Here is Niko’s story on letting fans back. No mention of dome lighting.

He might have been referring to the different colors the roof can be changed to, not the actual outside of the Dome. You can see the different colors from the outside too. Just a thought.
She definitely said they were adding lights for next season. I think the exact words she used were ‘outside and on top of the Dome’ but whatever the phrasing, she was talking about new lighting and it was not inside the dome.

She definitely said they were adding lights for next season. I think the exact words she used were ‘outside and on top of the Dome’ but whatever the phrasing, she was talking about new lighting and it was not inside the dome.
I would think that adding LED, state of the art lighting to the outside of the dome and the roof structures would help make the Dome even more iconic and "big time." Whatever the cost, I think that investment would pay easily pay for itself over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom