Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 156 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Fair comment, but I couldn't find an HOL pic from the same vantage as the one with the sign (a before to the after I guess).

I don't love, but ultimately don't mind the wall and the sign, I just don't like the way it's lit. I think its a bit too night-clubby or as I mentioned, "Vegas". I agree that Waverly is not University Place, but that is literally as far as most everybody can take a car and it's right outside the Sheraton, the closest hotel to campus. I think it's odd that the University wants to "clean up" M Street, and then does this, which seems to be in line with the M Street of old. I like M Street. I like this kind of stuff at the athletic facilities. I don't love it for the primary vista and front door of the campus. Just my taste.
Fair enough. Personally I think the lighting is better than a straight up neon sign, which is what some people were mistakenly comparing it to upthread.

Fair comment, but I couldn't find an HOL pic from the same vantage as the one with the sign (a before to the after I guess).

I don't love, but ultimately don't mind the wall and the sign, I just don't like the way it's lit. I think its a bit too night-clubby or as I mentioned, "Vegas". I agree that Waverly is not University Place, but that is literally as far as most everybody can take a car and it's right outside the Sheraton, the closest hotel to campus. I think it's odd that the University wants to "clean up" M Street, and then does this, which seems to be in line with the M Street of old. I like M Street. I like this kind of stuff at the athletic facilities. I don't love it for the primary vista and front door of the campus. Just my taste.
Look at google and put in University ave, Syracuse, ny and Waverly Ave, Syracuse, ny and you can get a view - however it is a day time view.

Fair enough. Personally I think the lighting is better than a straight up neon sign, which is what some people were mistakenly comparing it to upthread.

Yeah that’s definitely not neon, right? Appears to be backlit by a white light and then the logo and letters are lit up but not neon. I don’t have any problem with the sign. It looks fine.

It’s basically the same as this sign, just with more color:

1661219727033.jpeg

If it scrolled they could've sold advertising.
Varsity lunch special, 2 slices and a coke... or maybe time and temperature..
Hopefully it looks better in person.

You’ll be an old man, someday too!

It’s not just here, obviously. The constant negativity gets really tiresome and I just don’t understand what someone hopes to accomplish by making comments with no productive purpose.

And, by the way, What was that Betsy Ross thinking?! Red, white and blue? Let’s just copy France’s color scheme. Can’t we be a little bit original? And stars AND stripes? Pick a lane! Looks like shapes that fell out of some second graders pencil box!

Hey, I can old man with the best of them!

What raises my distain for the sign is the backdrop. An iconic19th Century building that epitomizes Syracuse University. This sign looks like it fronts a science building or a dormitory, big difference.

That and the scale - too large for a sidewalk along a city street. Better suited for an arterial. It'd look normal outside of Marist or OCC or Oswego (actually it looks a bit like the Oswego sign, IIRC).

The aesthetic actually has a lot to like about it (again, way nicer than that Penn sign). But context is everything.

That and the scale - too large for a sidewalk along a city street. Better suited for an arterial. It'd look normal outside of Marist or OCC or Oswego (actually it looks a bit like the Oswego sign, IIRC).

The aesthetic actually has a lot to like about it (again, way nicer than that Penn sign). But context is everything.
Well they did spell Syracuse correctly

What raises my distain for the sign is the backdrop. An iconic19th Century building that epitomizes Syracuse University. This sign looks like it fronts a science building or a dormitory, big difference.
But HL is wayyyyyy far away. I mean, HL is the "backdrop" from the crummy side stairs at Schine too. You can see that building from all over.

no one liked my brick joke (ipf joke) but I really like the sign. I don’t get the neon aspect at all. I think it’s classy.
It went right over my head. I went back and gave it one. Where is SU2NASA now a days anyway?

That stoplight completely ruins the aesthetic of the area. WAY TO GO SU!!1!!!1!

In truth it does, but that’s not voluntary. Law requires those. I’m a realist.

ACKshually...

That style of stoplight is rare in Syracuse. Wouldn't shock me if there are fewer than half a dozen intersections with that style, everything else is on a mast arm or a cable. There's no doubt that this isn't a coincidence here, someone wanted to preserve the view of HL at a gateway to campus.

ACKshually...

That style of stoplight is rare in Syracuse. Wouldn't shock me if there are fewer than half a dozen intersections with that style, everything else is on a mast arm or a cable. There's no doubt that this isn't a coincidence here, someone wanted to preserve the view of HL at a gateway to campus.
Agree and I think it was a good move on someone's part. Somebody should get a gold star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom