Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 160 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Looks nice. The colors kind of clash but it is a better look than we we have today.

I wish we could see more of what the interface is between the dome concourses and the new building.

Is this just street level (so it will be connected to the 300 level concourse)?

Or is there a lower level that connects to the 100 level concourse? I assume there is.

The more open the design, the better.

Miron.png

Andy Leahy is scooping professional journalists like none other lately.

I had the privilege of seeing these awhile ago. Good stuff; very thoughtful plan from SU and the design team.

Any idea on a timeline for this? The fact that they sought approval for a trimmed down version in case they change plans leads me to believe that we're still a ways of from this coming to fruition.

Any idea on a timeline for this? The fact that they sought approval for a trimmed down version in case they change plans leads me to believe that we're still a ways of from this coming to fruition.

They were pretty ambitious. Last I knew they were planning to do this in parallel with the seating bowl with completion by the fall 2024 semester.

Looks nice. The colors kind of clash but it is a better look than we we have today.

I wish we could see more of what the interface is between the dome concourses and the new building.

Is this just street level (so it will be connected to the 300 level concourse)?

Or is there a lower level that connects to the 100 level concourse? I assume there is.

The more open the design, the better.

View attachment 224704

Agree about the aesthetic design; rarely do I like that cladding, the white Manley complex look manages to clash with both the Dome and Archbold, and in a perfect world they'd pull the building face south about 15 feet to respect Archbold's prominence.

But from a utility perspective it's pretty cool. No 100-level IIRC (though I'm not 100% certain on that point), but there will be a partial 400 level in the new wing with some classrooms, gathering areas, and amenities.

They were pretty ambitious. Last I knew they were planning to do this in parallel with the seating bowl with completion by the fall 2024 semester.

Agree about the aesthetic design; rarely do I like that cladding, the white Manley complex look manages to clash with both the Dome and Archbold, and in a perfect world they'd pull the building face south about 15 feet to respect Archbold's prominence.

But from a utility perspective it's pretty cool. No 100-level IIRC (though I'm not 100% certain on that point), but there will be a partial 400 level in the new wing with some classrooms, gathering areas, and amenities.
Cool. Thought I saw something about a penthouse flying through the pages the first time.

I will be sad if they don't do expand the 100 level concourse as part of this. I thought the walls that would need to break through were not load bearing and there would not be much risk. If they don't do it now, we will forever lose that option.

Kind of ironic given that Archbold Gym had access to Archbold Stadium (the locker rooms and showers were actually in Archbold Gym). Was hoping we could get that back. I bet the tunnel is still there, filled with debris.

Cool. Thought I saw something about a penthouse flying through the pages the first time.

I will be sad if they don't do expand the 100 level concourse as part of this. I thought the walls that would need to break through were not load bearing and there would not be much risk. If they don't do it now, we will forever lose that option.

Kind of ironic given that Archbold Gym had access to Archbold Stadium (the locker rooms and showers were actually in Archbold Gym). Was hoping we could get that back. I bet the tunnel is still there, filled with debris.

The 100 level is underground there, no? I'd assume that would make expansion more complicated there (read: costly).

The 100 level is underground there, no? I'd assume that would make expansion more complicated there (read: costly).
Yes. at that part of the dome, where the ground level is highest, the 300 level concourse is at ground level and the 100 level concourse is probably 50 feet below it.

Digging out a foundation for a basement level and outfitting it would absolutely cost more.

I would guess if money were no object, this would be part of the plans.

Just opining that this is one of those times it would be better to wait and raise another $5 million, or whatever the cost might be, and do the eastern addition the best way.

Easy to say when you aren't the one who has to raise the money.

If they aren’t going to expand the eastern concourse then why even bother? If it doesn’t feel like it’s part of the Dome it’s a shortsighted idea. Those walls aren’t load bearing except for the big columns.

If they aren’t going to expand the eastern concourse then why even bother? If it doesn’t feel like it’s part of the Dome it’s a shortsighted idea. Those walls aren’t load bearing except for the big columns.
I think they are with the 300 level. I was discussing the 100 level….

So I walk thru that alley all the time to my gate - now I have to walk around or enter where all the students are going in?

At this time, based upon the renderings provided, I completed agree. Now, perhaps, just as the actual pic vs. the rendering, maybe the out of place "whiteness" of the facade isn't what the final shade/color will actually look like. No different than how the roller coaster roof is much whiter in the rendering than the actual photo.

Again, I'm purely coming from an architectural/aesthetic view, and IMO, it's not very attractive. Per the rendering, this (new) addition looks like an afterthought "add-on" vs. a seamless integration and appearing that it had been there all along with the existing structure. Again, just my opinion, from what has only been provided.

I've never been a fan of the architectural design that the university chose to go with in roller coaster style roof vs. that original Walter's Group rendering. No doubt, the engineering of it was quite an impressive feat, however, IMO, left a lot to be desired visually. That Walter's Group rendering that leaked back in May '16 was a thing of beauty and so aesthetically pleasing, architecturally speaking.

So I walk thru that alley all the time to my gate - now I have to walk around or enter where all the students are going in?
Yeah I liked the alley too...but I don't see an alternative

At this time, based upon the renderings provided, I completed agree. Now, perhaps, just as the actual pic vs. the rendering, maybe the out of place "whiteness" of the facade isn't what the final shade/color will actually look like. No different than how the roller coaster roof is much whiter in the rendering than the actual photo.

Again, I'm purely coming from an architectural/aesthetic view, and IMO, it's not very attractive. Per the rendering, this (new) addition looks like an afterthought "add-on" vs. a seamless integration and appearing that it had been there all along with the existing structure. Again, just my opinion, from what has only been provided.

I've never been a fan of the architectural design that the university chose to go with in roller coaster style roof vs. that original Walter's Group rendering. No doubt, the engineering of it was quite an impressive feat, however, IMO, left a lot to be desired visually. That Walter's Group rendering that leaked back in May '16 was a thing of beauty and so aesthetically pleasing, architecturally speaking.

I've come to like the crown truss a lot more than I did initially. Less so the interior. I think the hyphen building could work if it went all-in on a consistent contemporary look. Here it looks like a hodgepodge of other aesthetics from around campus - a little biotech building with a little Melo Center with a little law school.

I always assumed the lounging and eating areas between the new restrooms on the 100 level of the east end would be the point of access for the new addition. Instead of an entire “basement” they could build stairs or escalators down to the lower level. It would also deal with some of their handicap issues.

Yeah I liked the alley too...but I don't see an alternative
That was a pretty heavily used entrance. With the alley closed you have to down the alley on the other side of barnes.. Doesnt the band march down that alley now too? Its a large amount of space they can turn into something.. its like what 50-75' wide?

That was a pretty heavily used entrance. With the alley closed you have to down the alley on the other side of barnes.. Doesnt the band march down that alley now too? Its a large amount of space they can turn into something.. its like what 50-75' wide?

I think the center corridor through Archbold (coming down Euclid/Sims from the east) is just going to be opened up on gamedays to allow ingress from this side.

Andy Leahy is scooping professional journalists like none other lately.

I had the privilege of seeing these awhile ago. Good stuff; very thoughtful plan from SU and the design team.
Any insight on the interior design? Outside looks nice.

I always assumed the lounging and eating areas between the new restrooms on the 100 level of the east end would be the point of access for the new addition. Instead of an entire “basement” they could build stairs or escalators down to the lower level. It would also deal with some of their handicap issues.
That would be logical. At very least, if they're not digging into ground to completely open up the 100 level, they need some kind of access area to reduce congestion in that whole 100 level corner.

And for the love of god, can they please introduce some congestion measures for the concourses? Letting people line up straight vs. a snaked structure causes massive issues near 117/118.

how would you even get to a roof top area in this new section? Add more stairs ?

I've come to like the crown truss a lot more than I did initially. Less so the interior. I think the hyphen building could work if it went all-in on a consistent contemporary look. Here it looks like a hodgepodge of other aesthetics from around campus - a little biotech building with a little Melo Center with a little law school.

You have to admit, the Dome's light show is pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom