Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 182 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

It would but I suspect the cost of building into the side of the Dome, as originally contemplated, is cost prohibitive compared to the South campus plan. I agree that walking to the Dome is preferred for a hotel
I'd hope location is a big driver in this. Plenty of buildings are built into hills. I don't think connecting to the dome is any harder than what they're doing with MVC. And I hope they understand that this would kill 2 birds because the dome footprint needs to expand and this would get us 50% of the way there.

Is the land so bad they cant go down to build parking? some of those city parking things are 2-3-4 levels down. EXPENSIVE I know
If you are talking about under a proposed hotel directly adjacent to the western side of the dome, I wold think digging that deep that close to the foundation of the dome would be deemed too dangerous to seriously consider.

It would be cool to park there and take an elevator up to the 300 level concourse.

One of the biggest issues putting a hotel there would be limiting access to the dome.

I don't know the numbers but I would guess somewhere around 50% of the crowd for football and basketball accesses the dome from the west.

If you put a hotel there, what do the people do that park west of the dome do? You could almost have to leave the ground floor of the hotel open, with only supporting columns for that floor, so people could continue to access the giant western stairwell/walk to their gate (and then leave the dome the reverse way).

It would be very awkward. I am sure if a building is ever built just west of the dome, one of the goals will be to extend the lower and upper concourses. How do you do that with a hotel?

It would be better to make the western annex a building designed as an extension to the dome.
You could have what I will call a basement concourse, at ground level for the western side of the dome. There could be elevators there to take people to the 100, or 300 level conconcouse, and I would think if we ever do this, we would add private boxes at the top of the 300 level (kind of like MSG does, but closer to the field/court and more intimate) and create a 400 level concouse for that. That is where you would build a club setting (like they have at Yankee Stadium or Allegiant Stadium in Vegas), featuring an all glass western wall with breathtaking views of the Onondaga Valley. This is where you could do the premium experience for monied fans, with high end food and drink, lots of bars, tables, chairs and TVs. And private swanky bathrooms.

You might do club experiences on the outer side of the expanded 100 and 300 level concourses as well. Club 44 on steroids.

You can't have a hotel and properly expand the footprint of the dome. At least I don't see how it could be done well. Better to build a hotel on university owned land on South Campus and make the focus of the western annex a vast improvement of the fan experience.

Not just for the high rollers. There would finally be room on the western side of the dome for bathrooms and concessions. And maybe even a place to sit and eat your food.

And gasp, maybe even some escalators.

Again with your high horse.
I'm not looking for a fight. I thought it was obvious that it was tongue-in-cheek, and was only done in response to bnoro 's comment. Entirely possible that it wasn't necessary, but I don't know how you see this as "high horse". I guess I am the only one here (I'm not) who cares to respect the contributions of the students and the alumni rather than knock them down so I can stand on my own pedestal.

I'm not looking for a fight. I thought it was obvious that it was tongue-in-cheek, and was only done in response to bnoro 's comment. Entirely possible that it wasn't necessary, but I don't know how you see this as "high horse". I guess I am the only one here (I'm not) who cares to respect the contributions of the students and the alumni rather than knock them down so I can stand on my own pedestal.
Kidding man lol.
Calm Down Champions League GIF by Liverpool FC

Not connected as most on here but I have heard SU wants know part of owning another hotel. Also, the market doesn't generate the traffic for a massive hotel on the hill. In fact I'm not sure the market can support massive hotels downtown (Crowne had the most rooms and stories on the MSD's finances are plentiful).

Not connected as most on here but I have heard SU wants know part of owning another hotel. Also, the market doesn't generate the traffic for a massive hotel on the hill. In fact I'm not sure the market can support massive hotels downtown (Crowne had the most rooms and stories on the MSD's finances are plentiful).
Crowne was fully booked when they closed. Do more research. " know part " ??

If you are talking about under a proposed hotel directly adjacent to the western side of the dome, I wold think digging that deep that close to the foundation of the dome would be deemed too dangerous to seriously consider.

It would be cool to park there and take an elevator up to the 300 level concourse.

One of the biggest issues putting a hotel there would be limiting access to the dome.

I don't know the numbers but I would guess somewhere around 50% of the crowd for football and basketball accesses the dome from the west.

If you put a hotel there, what do the people do that park west of the dome do? You could almost have to leave the ground floor of the hotel open, with only supporting columns for that floor, so people could continue to access the giant western stairwell/walk to their gate (and then leave the dome the reverse way).

It would be very awkward. I am sure if a building is ever built just west of the dome, one of the goals will be to extend the lower and upper concourses. How do you do that with a hotel?

It would be better to make the western annex a building designed as an extension to the dome.
You could have what I will call a basement concourse, at ground level for the western side of the dome. There could be elevators there to take people to the 100, or 300 level conconcouse, and I would think if we ever do this, we would add private boxes at the top of the 300 level (kind of like MSG does, but closer to the field/court and more intimate) and create a 400 level concouse for that. That is where you would build a club setting (like they have at Yankee Stadium or Allegiant Stadium in Vegas), featuring an all glass western wall with breathtaking views of the Onondaga Valley. This is where you could do the premium experience for monied fans, with high end food and drink, lots of bars, tables, chairs and TVs. And private swanky bathrooms.

You might do club experiences on the outer side of the expanded 100 and 300 level concourses as well. Club 44 on steroids.

You can't have a hotel and properly expand the footprint of the dome. At least I don't see how it could be done well. Better to build a hotel on university owned land on South Campus and make the focus of the western annex a vast improvement of the fan experience.

Not just for the high rollers. There would finally be room on the western side of the dome for bathrooms and concessions. And maybe even a place to sit and eat your food.

Yeah I’ve always envisioned that they would be a big grand glass entrance and extension onto the hill on the western side of the Dome, similar to what you’re describing here and that would help expand the concourse on that side of the Dome and add club seating, more food options, a Hall of Fame area for fans, etc.

Ive always thought the University should expand the Dome on the V.A. side and put a hotel with rooms looking into the stadium like the SkyDome in Toronto. Always thought about that. It's possible if they wanted it to happen. Imagine being a recruit staying in that hotel looking onto your potential field from your hotel window?

Crowne was fully booked when they closed. Do more research. " know part " ??
Ha good catch on word choice - hope you feel macho now.

As for my research - don't need to explain sh-- to you, but I stand by what I said and they were not going to survive the 81 project.

I have been hoping for a Western Annex for years. A much better fit than a hotel, it would enhance all the functions of the existing space: additional ingress/egress to and from the Dome, potentially including elevators for disabled access; more space in the concourses; the benefits of the added amenities that would go in there; etc. Great idea ... hope someone is listening.

Last edited:
Ha good catch on word choice - hope you feel macho now.

As for my research - don't need to explain sh-- to you, but I stand by what I said and they were not going to survive the 81 project.
Are you an 81 project denier? You don't like progress? Taking down 81 will do so many positive things for the city and the businesses around it that it's beyond a discussion. Not sure where you are going with this.

I know quite a few people in commercial lending, and hotels in Syracuse are a no brainer for funding. Believe it or not even before Micron coming to town occupancy rates are extremely high and we do not have enough capacity.

I know quite a few people in commercial lending, and hotels in Syracuse are a no brainer for funding. Believe it or not even before Micron coming to town occupancy rates are extremely high and we do not have enough capacity.
Meh I would say it’s luke warm at best coming from a commercial lender in Syracuse

I have been hoping for a Western Annex for years. A much better fit than a hotel, it would enhance all the functions of the existing space: additional ingress/egress to and from the Dome, potentially including elevators for disabled access; more space in the concourses; the benefits of the added amenities that would go in there; etc. Great idea ... hope someone is listening.
Miron on the east end and the Micron expansion on the west end. What could be better?

Post Standard did a fine piece a few weeks back on the traffic situation and the lack of brain power or resolve to help alleviate the traffic flow during major events.

"The wisdom of dome traffic management in Syracuse has been passed along for more than four decades by word of mouth among city police, the state transportation department, Syracuse University and the Centro bus service.

Somehow, the community has reached 2024 with no written traffic plan and no one person in charge of moving tens of thousands of vehicles in and out of football and basketball games and big concerts."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom