Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

How cool would a stadium be in the old quarry (bottom right).
Archbold was built on the site of a natural oval. It makes sense to use a site like that; you can save a lot of money on cooling and heating and much of the walls doesn't have to be pretty. You might even get some money for recovering a site that was an environmental blight.

If it is good enough for the US Open, it is good enough for me.

Archbold was built on the site of a natural oval. It makes sense to use a site like that; you can save a lot of money on cooling and heating and much of the walls doesn't have to be pretty. You might even get some money for recovering a site that was an environmental blight.

If it is good enough for the US Open, it is good enough for me.
Forget to add that my concern about the quarry is whether there is enough space there to fit a stadium, some surrounding add-on structures (hotel, conference center, restaurants, etc.) and a vast, tailgate friendly parking area.

Even though it is an intriguing place, I think the original place the developer was looking to build, on top of a drumlin on the Drumlins public golf course, would be a better place. The vistas from the top of the stadium would be breathtaking (Ibet you could see Lake Ontario on a clear day) and the setup for tailgating and follow-on development would be ideal.

Forget to add that my concern about the quarry is whether there is enough space there to fit a stadium, some surrounding add-on structures (hotel, conference center, restaurants, etc.) and a vast, tailgate friendly parking area.

Even though it is an intriguing place, I think the original place the developer was looking to build, on top of a drumlin on the Drumlins public golf course, would be a better place. The vistas from the top of the stadium would be breathtaking (I bet you could see Lake Ontario on a clear day) and the setup for tailgating and follow-on development would be ideal.
Although I am very much in the camp of constructing the arena/stadium off the main the campus, I would however very much miss seeing the Dome as I come around the corner on I-81N approaching the city. That image is iconic in my mind (more than the pee troughs). I'm not sure I would be able to see it if it were on south campus somewhere.

The plus side to a south campus location is that is also tailor made for new set of on- and off-ramps of 481.

Even though it is an intriguing place, I think the original place the developer was looking to build, on top of a drumlin on the Drumlins public golf course, would be a better place. The vistas from the top of the stadium would be breathtaking (Ibet you could see Lake Ontario on a clear day) and the setup for tailgating and follow-on development would be ideal.
I wonder if the existing residence buildings at Skytop could be converted into micro-hotel spaces. There's a pressing need for accommodations and I count more than 75 buildings up there from Googlemaps.

Last edited:
I wonder if the existing residence buildings at Skytop could be converted into micro-hotel spaces. There's a pressing need for accommodations and I count more than 75 buildings up there from Googlemaps.

The hotel market seems pretty saturated in Syracuse right now. Not sure how helpful that would be.

The hotel market seems pretty saturated in Syracuse right now. Not sure how helpful that would be.
Not only helpful, essential. One of the main reasons SU can't host bigger NCAA games is hotel capacity - there's huge demand for big tournament games. I don't know if it would be feasible to convert student residence buildings to micro-hotels. But if it's possible, these units would add capacity without being in competition with Hotel Syracuse.

Not only helpful, essential. One of the main reasons SU can't host bigger NCAA games is hotel capacity - there's huge demand for big tournament games. I don't know if it would be feasible to convert student residence buildings to micro-hotels. But if it's possible, these units would add capacity without being in competition with Hotel Syracuse.

Not a worthwhile investment, IMO. Syracuse is never going to host an NCAA event bigger than the Sweet 16/Elite 8, which it already capably hosted, and there have been hundreds of hotel rooms added within a 2 mile radius of the university since the last time it was held here.

Maybe NJCuse97 can chime in. If they build new at Skytop, it'll probably be on the Drumlins side (East). But looking at Googlemaps, I count roughly 75 buildings at that location. Some of these might be utility. But most are probably up/down apartments. Just wondering if some other use for those structures is possible or would some or all of them be demolished given the CMP's movement of student residences back to main campus?

NJCuse97

Last edited:
A complex up on skytop would be so perfect. Even if you could renovate the Dome and get everything in the building you want ... parking still sucks and tailgaiting is so spread out.

Imagine it all being at manley and skytop? They could create exits for 481N/S. Oh it could be so awesome up there.

Maybe NJCuse97 can chime in. If they build new at Skytop, it'll probably be on the Drumlins side (East). But looking at Googlemaps, I count roughly 75 buildings at that location. Some of these might be utility. But most are probably up/down apartments. Just wondering if some other use for those structures is possible or would some or all of them be demolished given the CMP's movement of student residences back to main campus?

NJCuse97

I like Skytop for the parking and automobile access potential, as well as the clean sheet it represents, but a new facility will not be what we all dream about as a professional grade facility. It is being paid for by the school. That’s the way they want it. They cannot and will not afford bells and whistles for anybody but students and alumni, high roller alums in particular. Like it or not, the school wants to see the student population engage with the athletic events and putting the arena on Skytop, something that will also be a fight with the local community, while they try to move all the student housing to main campus is counterintuitive. It is not their goal to make it easier for the local population. Yes that could bite them, but I do believe they want to improve the full game day experience, just not at the expense of the valuable and unique college atmosphere or experience. The athletics are a part of the school’s identity and a draw for prospective students. They will not damage that by making it more professional feeling.

That said, I think they feel they have a better, full time and student oriented use for that land then hoteling that the school would have to operate/manage for what, 20 days a year? You won’t get a Marriott or Sheraton to operate 70 individual buildings at what is probably 5% annual occupancy. It’s a financial loss for sure.

Just my thoughts. I’m sure the structures could be used, but I seriously doubt anyone would want to. They’re not exactly charming. I love the out of the box thinking though.

Forgive my ignorance but if they built on skytop, could it still be considered an “on campus” facility? I don’t know enough about the lay of the land up there to know.

Forgive my ignorance but if they built on skytop, could it still be considered an “on campus” facility? I don’t know enough about the lay of the land up there to know.

Yes. Skytop is South Campus.

I like Skytop for the parking and automobile access potential, as well as the clean sheet it represents, but a new facility will not be what we all dream about as a professional grade facility. It is being paid for by the school. That’s the way they want it. They cannot and will not afford bells and whistles for anybody but students and alumni, high roller alums in particular. Like it or not, the school wants to see the student population engage with the athletic events and putting the arena on Skytop, something that will also be a fight with the local community, while they try to move all the student housing to main campus is counterintuitive. It is not their goal to make it easier for the local population. Yes that could bite them, but I do believe they want to improve the full game day experience, just not at the expense of the valuable and unique college atmosphere or experience. The athletics are a part of the school’s identity and a draw for prospective students. They will not damage that by making it more professional feeling.

That said, I think they feel they have a better, full time and student oriented use for that land then hoteling that the school would have to operate/manage for what, 20 days a year? You won’t get a Marriott or Sheraton to operate 70 individual buildings at what is probably 5% annual occupancy. It’s a financial loss for sure.

Just my thoughts. I’m sure the structures could be used, but I seriously doubt anyone would want to. They’re not exactly charming. I love the out of the box thinking though.
Ok, thanks, 97. As far as my "idea", looks like it's not practical. Good thing I'm not in the design field. ;)

In terms of your comments about the facility location (to add to my previous post), student engagement and in-game experience, I have some counterpoints. SU needs to consider that:

1. Community support is economically essential for SU's FB and BB programs. The AD knows this. I can't tell you the exact percentage of community members versus alumns/students at every game. But most of the fans are community members. And these days there is television coverage and many other competing interests. Therefore IMO, ignoring the community, either in terms of ingress/egress or other factors, is unwise. SU would do so at its peril;

2. Many alums are out-of-towners (yours truly included). If they make it too much more difficult for me to get in and out of games, that'll change the equation. I'm sure it's like that for many alums from the areas SU is courting - Rochester, Albany, Binghamton and beyond ... it's a big expense, long trip, hard to find parking, difficult to clear post-game traffic, and in our case we've even had to pay a babysitter ($80-$90). So ingress/egress is not just about convenience for locals;

3. Student attendance is on the decline (nationally as well). We've got some creative initiatives going to slow that trend, but engagement remains an issue. I don't think it's proximity or money (esp. at $55-60k T/R/B per year). More likely it's about team performance and "atmosphere". The fact is, while the Dome may be closer to the Quad than Skytop, for many students it's no longer an attractive venue. It's dark and cavernous outside the bowl. The seats are uncomfortable. It's hot. Wi-fi is sketchy. Concession lines impede traffic. Tail-gaiting is scattered and decentralized (precluding large-scale entertainment options), and the in-game experience (now 3.5 hours +) needs a makeover. Winning will mask some of these deficiencies over the short term. But a new facility is the only long-term solution to recapture student interest and provide the open spaces, freedom of movement and light that people are accustomed to in contemporary buildings.

4. Lastly, there's the futility of dumping $200 - $250M into a 40 year old arena that's well past its prime and structurally resistant to affordable modernization and expansion, to say nothing of the nightmare of a 10 year construction mess (necessary to avoid interrupting BB/FB).

Those are some off-the-cuff reactions to the items you brought up. Thanks, as always, for your insights.

Last edited:

Syracuse has added, and is currently adding, a lot of hotel rooms. Embassy Suites just completed at Destiny, as well as a new Hilton concept, I think it is, Tru, in the Inner Harbor. Another new Tru hotel at Township 5 in Camillus is going up, and then you have the COR Development project moving forward, too. Maplewood Suites in Liverpool is only a few years old, and I'm pretty sure didn't exist the last time we hosted a Final Four. I think there is also a newer extended stay place in Clay, another on Fayette St at Armory Square. Plus the renovated Hotel Syracuse. There have been quite a few new projects in the area.

Syracuse has added, and is currently adding, a lot of hotel rooms. Embassy Suites just completed at Destiny, as well as a new Hilton concept, I think it is, Tru, in the Inner Harbor. Another new Tru hotel at Township 5 in Camillus is going up, and then you have the COR Development project moving forward, too. Maplewood Suites in Liverpool is only a few years old, and I'm pretty sure didn't exist the last time we hosted a Final Four. I think there is also a newer extended stay place in Clay, another on Fayette St at Armory Square. Plus the renovated Hotel Syracuse. There have been quite a few new projects in the area.

The current COR project under development at the inner harbor is apartments and office space. Also, Maplewood Suites has been around for a long time. It was just recently renovated, but not new rooms.

The current COR project under development at the inner harbor is apartments and office space. Also, Maplewood Suites has been around for a long time. It was just recently renovated, but not new rooms.

Ah, I thought Maplewood expanded. There's also another extended stay out that way on 7th North that is fairly new.

Are you sure about COR Inner Harbor? Yes, they are doing office space, some retail and residential, but wasn't the Tru Hotel part of those COR parcels?

In any event, I think we are less squeezed for hotel space than we used to be around here.

Ok, thanks, 97. As far as my "idea", looks like it's not practical. Good thing I'm not in the design field. ;)

In terms of your comments about the facility location (to add to my previous post), student engagement and in-game experience, I have some concerns. They may well reflect the administration's outlook. But:

1. Community support is economically essential for SU's FB and BB programs. I'm sure the AD knows this. I can't tell you the exact percentage of community members versus alumns/students at every game. But most of the fans are community members. And these days there is usually television coverage and many other competing interests. IMO, ignoring the community, either in terms of ingress/egress or other factors, is unwise. SU would do that at its peril;

2. Many alums are out-of-towners (yours truly included). If they make it too much more difficult for me to get in and out of games, that'll change the equation. I'm sure it's like that for many alums from the areas SU is courting - Rochester, Albany, Binghamton and beyond ... it's a big expense, long trip, hard to find parking, difficult to clear post-game traffic, and in our case we've even had to pay a babysitter (usually almost $100). So ingress/egress is not just just a matter of convenience for locals;

3. Student attendance is on the decline (nationally as well). We've got some creative initiatives going to slow that trend, but the participation rate is a challenge. I don't think it's money (esp. at $55-60k T/R/B per year). It's team performance and the "atmosphere". The Dome is dark almost everywhere outside the bowl. The seats are uncomfortable. It's hot. The concessions impede traffic, tail-gaiting is decentralized (precluding large-scale entertainment options), and the in-game experience needs a makeover. Winning will mask some of these deficiencies over the short term. But a new facility would be a better long-term solution to attract students and provide the open spaces, freedom of movement and light that they are accustomed to at other SU (leisure/residence) buildings.

4. Lastly, there's the futility of dumping $200 - $250M into a 40 year old arena that's well past its prime and structurally resistant to affordable modernization and expansion, to say nothing of the nightmare of a 10 year construction mess (necessary to avoid interrupting BB/FB).

So those are some off-the-cuff reactions to the items you brought up. Thanks, as always, for your insights.
I agree with many if not most of your thoughts and points, but I just feel the University has made its mind up, and student engagement is a big reason why.

Ah, I thought Maplewood expanded. There's also another extended stay out that way on 7th North that is fairly new.

Are you sure about COR Inner Harbor? Yes, they are doing office space, some retail and residential, but wasn't the Tru Hotel part of those COR parcels?

In any event, I think we are less squeezed for hotel space than we used to be around here.
There is a relatively new (about 2 year old) Aloft Hotel built on the inner harbor. Maybe that is the property you're thinking of?

It is a very nice property: Hotels in Syracuse NY | Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor

Yeah, there's a Tru or Element or something like that being built as a mirror image to the new Aloft. But really, these are drops in the bucket in a region with one-fourth of the hotel rooms needed to host a Final Four and occupancy rates hovering a little below 60%.

Regarding Skytop from others' earlier posts, those apartments weren't built with permanence in mind (this was Congel's first Pyramid project in his pre-mall days - it was a financial windfall for that company, which delivered cheap prefab buildings a semester late). They aren't ADA compliant, they don't meet current codes, and if it weren't for pretty substantial ongoing maintenance by SU they'd be past the end of their functional lives. I don't know what SU will do with that land if it's able to move students north, but demolishing those concrete prefab apartments is likely part of it.

You're right, there are plans for an Element hotel on the site as well.

sorry that is not right. The Hotel Syracuse is not changing the hotel world here it's mainly shifting hotel business, and the key on all of this is full service hotels and air carriage. The new buildings are mostly limited in services and the flight numbers don't add up. Quite frankly the Dome wouldn't hold up to the Final Four which is the only bigger NCAA event we can host.

sorry that is not right. The Hotel Syracuse is not changing the hotel world here it's mainly shifting hotel business, and the key on all of this is full service hotels and air carriage. The new buildings are mostly limited in services and the flight numbers don't add up. Quite frankly the Dome wouldn't hold up to the Final Four which is the only bigger NCAA event we can host.

Hotel Syracuse did add another full service hotel to the area, but yeah, I agree with your points.

I said "bigger" games (events), not FF. That was never an option in Syracuse (major city). However, there has been an ongoing concern about hotel capacity for large scale events (later round NCAA's, women's events, etc).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom