Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

what is the design without the fabric roof and supports? An oval arena? I don't get the point of copying the design, but not using the fabric roof and roof supports.

what is the design without the fabric roof and supports? An oval arena? I don't get the point of copying the design, but not using the fabric roof and roof supports.
Who said they were copying the design. There are probably elements of that design that could be included in a Dome renovation...like letting more light into the Dome. I was trying to address the fact that with no fabric roof those supports above the roof line would not be necessary.

with the light weight materials they may be able to use cabling to support glass in some way?

Who said they were copying the design. There are probably elements of that design that could be included in a Dome renovation...like letting more light into the Dome. I was trying to address the fact that with no fabric roof those supports above the roof line would not be necessary.
Then it will be nothing like BC Place. The whole BC Place design is based on the tall supporting masts that support cables that hold up a fabric roof.

Last page. Is it just me or are these two quotes contradictory?
There may be some similar elements but another fabric roof isn't the plan.
Wasn't told the material that would be used, just the design.
The distinguishing feature/design of the BC place is the roof supports and the fabric roof. If they're not using the fabric roof and no roof supports are needed, then it's really not much like BC Place, is it?

Then it will be nothing like BC Place. The whole BC Place design is based on the tall supporting masts that support cables that hold up a fabric roof.
There are always elements of a design that can be incorporated into a plan. I look at that upper ring and it makes me think of support for trusses. I look at the sides and I see ways to let light into the Dome.

with the light weight materials they may be able to use cabling to support glass in some way?
I think they already said that ETFE will be used which is more transparent than glass but can easily be made translucent and is resistant to deterioration from UV rays.

There are always elements of a design that can be incorporated into a plan. I look at that upper ring and it makes me think of support for trusses. I look at the sides and I see ways to let light into the Dome.
Light will come in via ETFE roof. If the roof is supported by trusses (which I think it will be), then it is totally different than BC Place which is supported from above by masts.

All I can say is they plan on doing something similar to BC place from what I was told and people involved with the project will be taking a trip there in the near future. Maybe I should have shut my mouth instead of giving some of you information.

AS I SAID BEFORE I WAS NOT TOLD WHAT MATERIAL WILL BE USED. This will be the last time I will say anything I know because some of you just like to be miserable.
OKAY THANKS FOR RELAYING INFORMATION.

Jeez.

Just take the damn roof off. Done.

Not like you won’t still have home field/court advantage.

With Canada being the largest supplier of steel and aluminum to the U.S., it will be interesting to see what the impact may be on this project as a result of the Trump steel tariff's? If SU still plans on using the Canadian steel fabricator, Walter's Group, this will probably increase their costs, which would most likely adversely affect the Dome's cost of renovation.

With Canada being the largest supplier of steel and aluminum to the U.S., it will be interesting to see what the impact may be on this project as a result of the Trump steel tariff's? If SU still plans on using the Canadian steel fabricator, Walter's Group, this will probably increase their costs, which would most likely adversely affect the Dome's cost of renovation.
I'm hoping they'll carve out some exceptions ... so far they aren't budging on tariffs. Maybe we should do what the military (Navy) does ... make a "long lead time" materials purchase while the price is favorable.

They also made the mistake of making it retractable which has caused all sorts of complications including leaks.
Moving parts are seemingly designed to fail

I was told by someone extremely close to the project that BC place is the plan.
I have been told they are well aware of it, and have studied it, but don’t think the direction will look or act anything like BC Place

Skytop is my guess...down come the Soviet Style Student Apartments...up goes a new Multi-Purpose stadium.

The Dome footprint then becomes the most valuable piece of redevelopment real estate in the city.

H/T: to he knows who he is.
I had heard years ago SU wanted the Dome space for an academic building, and that TGD had a mock up/drawings of a stadium on South campus, but then the crash hit.

upload_2018-3-7_9-41-10.png

I mean really where could an arena even fit up there... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom