Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I'll miss Faegans more than the Varsity. As a local I've gone to Faegan's more to grab food or a beer than I have Varsity to grab a slice. I always thought the Varsity was overrated outside of it's history.

Good article and good timing. So it appears this project is not set to begin this summer. Still what isn’t addressed is what happens to the varsity and Faegan’s when this project does take place?

A good architect would have a field day with the Varsity Sign and its history. I'm sure @NJCuse97 would agree -- so much could be done with that. Preserve the interior history but do a new (retro?) layout that's cleaner and more modern. It could be done very tastefully.

Faegans ... sorry. Have to disagree with you there. Yes it's been a while. But it has the same paneled feel as Clydes (DC) ... just needs updating. I've been in enough microbrews to know that there's still room for a good pub near campus.

I dig the poor man's Clyde's feel of Faegan's. That kind of aesthetic is a dime a dozen, though - anybody could recreate that in another bar in the neighborhood. It's a shame nobody has, because it's a good look.

just in time. We can all simmer down now ...at least for a few mos.
belushi_snl_samurai_tailor9.jpg

I dig the poor man's Clyde's feel of Faegan's. That kind of aesthetic is a dime a dozen, though - anybody could recreate that in another bar in the neighborhood. It's a shame nobody has, because it's a good look.
Well, at least it was a good look in the mid '80's! Lots of time has passed. So if they recreate it in another location I doubt anyone will be contacting the National Landmark Society. But I'll hold onto my memories (if slightly blurry) of Monday night Faegan's happy hour (after the L-Library of course).

Last edited:
Probably long overdue. But we're talking about Iconic places. Many of us that went to SU have fond memories, some blurrier than others, of Faegans and Varsity. Back in the day, on Monday nights at Faegans you could get a double G/T for .25 cents! And I still haven't found Pizza that tastes as good as the Varsity's.

It feels weird that they're being demolished.

You must not have eaten much pizza. Varsity is gross. I'd rather go to Acropolis for a slice or off the Hill. I loved the aesthetic and variety the restaurant offered; the former will especially be missed.

If it is being demolished with Faegan's Marshall Street will officially be closed. There's nothing that stands out about the strip. By design, they are forcing students to go Downtown and Armory Square to get a drink. The bar scene for students doesn't exist at SU. How did they ever get a top party school ranking?

You must not have eaten much pizza. Varsity is gross. I'd rather go to Acropolis for a slice or off the Hill. I loved the aesthetic and variety the restaurant offered; the former will especially be missed.

If it is being demolished with Faegan's Marshall Street will officially be closed. There's nothing that stands out about the strip. By design, they are forcing students to go Downtown and Armory Square to get a drink. The bar scene for students doesn't exist at SU. How did they ever get a top party school ranking?
I am not a pizza connoisseur, for sure. Any recommendations for pizza in Rochester? I need to research this more carefully.

As far as the bar scene for students, most of them aren't even 21. So if that's a huge consideration, I would invite them to go elsewhere. My Faegan's stories were from grad school.

I am not a pizza connoisseur, for sure. Any recommendations for pizza in Rochester? I need to research this more carefully.

As far as the bar scene for students, most of them aren't even 21. So if that's a huge consideration, I would invite them to go elsewhere. My Faegan's stories were from grad school.

Fair.

Re: Pizza. I'm from Brooklyn, so I know a good pizza when I taste it. Any fellow Rochester posters want to point reedny in the right direction?

Tk's pizza in Fairport

Picraft in Henrietta and Victor is good IMO. Also the Green Front in Canandaigua has great pizza and wings.

Except the building owners own the restaurants as well, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they hold on to the staff. Most will find new jobs.

roughly where are you?
bay goodman is my go to
tony pepperoni in henrietta is good but i am rarely down there
guidas is pretty good too

roughly where are you?
bay goodman is my go to
tony pepperoni in henrietta is good but i am rarely down there
guidas is pretty good too
I've had Guidas... not bad. Not bad at all. Webster. I grew up in Fairport, so I have to try TK's (heard it's good about 4x), and I'll give Tony P's a try also. As a family, we try to avoid pizza ... but once in a while, like McD's, it's good.

I've had Guidas... not bad. Not bad at all. Webster. I grew up in Fairport, so I have to try TK's (heard it's good about 4x), and I'll give Tony P's a try also. As a family, we try to avoid pizza ... but once in a while, like McD's, it's good.
As a family you try to avoid pizza? Say what?!?

As a family you try to avoid pizza? Say what?!?
I said, "try". lol. We eat it once or twice a month. My kids tell me that their school serves greasy pizza 3 times per week. They get away with calling this a "healthy" lunch because someone in government defines pizza as a "vegetable" - probably to appease the food service conglomerates. So the kids normally don't want it at home. Maybe they would if I went to Tony P's or TK's.

The state-of-the-art complex at the transformed Archbold Gymnasium is designed as a vibrant hub for student services that will provide holistic support with comprehensive medical care, wellness resources and mental health support. The fully accessible complex will bring together the Counseling Center, the Office of Health Promotion, Health Services, Recreation Services and the Office of Student Assistance in one central location, helping to ensure a seamless approach to coordinating student services and promoting collaboration among student offices.

The most vital of services are being consolidated in one place to assist students with access to high-quality health care and comprehensive and holistic mental health, substance abuse, and sexual assault and relationship violence-related services.

“The new Barnes Center at The Arch will be a welcoming, engaging space for all students to find assistance, whether they need a health checkup, mental health counseling, assistance in times of crisis or a place to work out,” says Rob Hradsky, senior associate vice president of the student experience and dean of students. “These new facilities put the focus on the whole student and helping them achieve success inside and outside the classroom through a balanced experience during their time here.”

But some people will have to wait for laps or walk further, because there is less pool lap lanes. This is a travishamockery! Stop the progress!

The state-of-the-art complex at the transformed Archbold Gymnasium is designed as a vibrant hub for student services that will provide holistic support with comprehensive medical care, wellness resources and mental health support. The fully accessible complex will bring together the Counseling Center, the Office of Health Promotion, Health Services, Recreation Services and the Office of Student Assistance in one central location, helping to ensure a seamless approach to coordinating student services and promoting collaboration among student offices.

The most vital of services are being consolidated in one place to assist students with access to high-quality health care and comprehensive and holistic mental health, substance abuse, and s e xual assault and relationship violence-related services.

“The new Barnes Center at The Arch will be a welcoming, engaging space for all students to find assistance, whether they need a health checkup, mental health counseling, assistance in times of crisis or a place to work out,” says Rob Hradsky, senior associate vice president of the student experience and dean of students. “These new facilities put the focus on the whole student and helping them achieve success inside and outside the classroom through a balanced experience during their time here.”

But some people will have to wait for laps or walk further, because there is less pool lap lanes. This is a travishamockery! Stop the progress!

But... "waiting" and "further" and "less" aren't progress.

I'm not claiming that the whole project doesn't represent progress, but that particular aspect of the whole is obviously a diminishment of facilities rather than a progression or improvement.

But... "waiting" and "further" and "less" aren't progress.

I'm not claiming that the whole project doesn't represent progress, but that particular aspect of the whole is obviously a diminishment of facilities rather than a progression or improvement.
Yes on a technicality, but its such a small segment of the facility and the population it serves that its akin to complaining about the entirety of a restaurant because they offer kettle chips instead of fries on their lunch menu. You can still get the mediocre fries (lets face it, they really weren't that good) but they're a side now.

webster is the worst, it's the end of the earth, i avoid it at all costs, and i have no idea what to tell you

webster is the worst, it's the end of the earth, i avoid it at all costs, and i have no idea what to tell you
Henrietta's a commercial dump. That doesn't mean I'm too good to buy a slice of Pizza there. Anyway, thanks for the unsolicited opinion, Pat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom