Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Could be. Just knew it was smaller.
I know we talked about this and my opinion's not important. But I just don't understand how they settled on that look. It has a couple short (non-standard) lanes that aren't going to attract serious lap swimmers. And it has a low ceiling and weird science-lab lighting ... nothing like what you'd expect for a "leisure pool". It's the worst of both - like a Bill Lumbergh design ... just "greeeeaaaate". Here's what a leisure pool looks like:

Banner-CollegePools.jpg

Last edited:
I know we talked about this and my opinion's not important. But I just don't understand how they settled on that look. It has a couple short (non-standard) lanes that aren't going to attract serious lap swimmers. And it has a low ceiling and weird science-lab lighting that are nothing like what you'd expect for a "leisure pool". It's the worst of both - like a Bill Lumbergh design ... just "greeeeaaaate". Here's what a leisure pool looks like:

Banner-CollegePools.jpg
If you look at the rendering, and that is all it is, you can see at the far end it is disability accessible with a walk-in end with railing.

If you look at the rendering, and that is all it is, you can see at the far end it is disability accessible with a walk-in end with railing.

Yes, everything in the building, including the pool will be handicap accessible. There are professors and employees not happy with this thing but they need to remember, this is for the students. The whole remodeled building is student centric. The women’s building will House the larger lap pool for those who desire this. But the arch is with the students only in mind.

Yes, everything in the building, including the pool will be handicap accessible. There are professors and employees not happy with this thing but they need to remember, this is for the students. The whole remodeled building is student centric. The women’s building will House the larger lap pool for those who desire this. But the arch is with the students only in mind.
It's the nature of change... you are never going to make everyone happy.

Yea I remember that article. But it is vague on how long businesses would need to be closed. I just can’t fathom the varsity remaining open while a 10 story building is built above them. Seems as challenging as the dome roof. Lol.

Yeah the buildings housing Varsity, Faegan's, etc. are being demolished. They are likely going to be closed for as long as the new building takes to complete. I took the tweet from Brendan Tierney to mean that at some point this summer, Varsity & Faegan's will be closing as this construction project gets going. The way he worded it is confusing, making it seem like they are only going to be closed over the Summer. There is no way that's the case. They will be almost certainly closing indefinitely.

Yeah the buildings housing Varsity, Faegan's, etc. are being demolished. They are likely going to be closed for as long as the new building takes to complete. I took the tweet from Brendan Tierney to mean that at some point this summer, Varsity & Faegan's will be closing as this construction project gets going. The way he worded it is confusing, making it seem like they are only going to be closed over the Summer. There is no way that's the case. They will be almost certainly closing indefinitely.
I checked the planning commissions agendas for the past year and didn't see anything for that address. You don't start demolition without plan approval and permits.

I checked the planning commissions agendas for the past year and didn't see anything for that address. You don't start demolition without plan approval and permits.

I don't know. The only one tweeting anything about this is the kid from CitrusTV. I'm just going off of the old article which said that those buildings were going to be torn down.

On a sidenote, I'm not sure that replacing those buildings will really help improve the image of Marshall Street. Those are well-taken-care-of, appealing buildings that are fully occupied by mostly long-time tenants. Too bad there isn't a better location for this project.

I don't know. The only one tweeting anything about this is the kid from CitrusTV. I'm just going off of the old article which said that those buildings were going to be torn down.

On a sidenote, I'm not sure that replacing those buildings will really help improve the image of Marshall Street. Those are well-taken-care-of, appealing buildings that are fully occupied by mostly long-time tenants. Too bad there isn't a better location for this project.

They’ve already torn down part of the real ugly area to put up The Marshall.

Any vacancies on Marshall that we know of? Hopefully Varsity can find a temporary home for all those banners we are going to flip this year!

Yea I remember that article. But it is vague on how long businesses would need to be closed. I just can’t fathom the varsity remaining open while a 10 story building is built above them. Seems as challenging as the dome roof. Lol.

Any business that's forced to close for 2 years is essentially going out of business. New leases will have to be prepared. Partners in companies may leave or retire. There's probably no guarantee that either store will reopen under current management when all the work is done. Just look at Clark's Ale House downtown.

Any vacancies on Marshall that we know of? Hopefully Varsity can find a temporary home for all those banners we are going to flip this year!

Beware! Dave Jacobs owns a few of those buildings, and there's a particular older attorney in the University Building who I know represents a couple other owners, and they are freaking pirates, all of them. I hope somebody buys these buildings and we take out those existing landlords. It will be way better for business up there, and there will be far less turnover of stores.

Any business that's forced to close for 2 years is essentially going out of business. New leases will have to be prepared. Partners in companies may leave or retire. There's probably no guarantee that either store will reopen under current management when all the work is done. Just look at Clark's Ale House downtown.

Except the building owners own the restaurants as well, if I recall correctly.

Probably long overdue. But we're talking about Iconic places. Many of us that went to SU have fond memories, some blurrier than others, of Faegans and Varsity. Back in the day, on Monday nights at Faegans you could get a double G/T for .25 cents! And I still haven't found Pizza that tastes as good as the Varsity's.

It feels weird that they're being demolished.

Probably long overdue. But we're talking about Iconic places. Many of us that went to SU have fond memories, some blurrier than others, of Faegans and Varsity. Back in the day, on Monday nights at Faegans you could get a double G/T for .25 cents! And I still haven't found Pizza that tastes as good as the Varsity's.

It feels weird that they're being demolished.

Agreed. They will unfortunately probably be replaced with some boring, nondescript, soulless building that won't have the same feel.

Agreed. They will unfortunately probably be replaced with some boring, nondescript, soulless building that won't have the same feel.

Sadly, no doubt about it.

Maybe someone will recreate the Varsity's facade. It's iconic.

I'm sure the interior won't be replicated. I'll miss that, too, though the building really is a filthy dump - just the remnants of a converted residence that lost its top two floors decades ago. Love the walls and older photos, though, along with the simple layout.

Faegan's I can do without. The Hill has such terrible (and few) bars that it seems good by comparison, but it's not that good. There's money to be made with a terrific beer bar in that neighborhood, but between SU's obstruction and the local landlord monopoly situation it's not happening.

I'm sure the interior won't be replicated. I'll miss that, too, though the building really is a filthy dump - just the remnants of a converted residence that lost its top two floors decades ago. Love the walls and older photos, though, along with the simple layout.

Faegan's I can do without. The Hill has such terrible (and few) bars that it seems good by comparison, but it's not that good. There's money to be made with a terrific beer bar in that neighborhood, but between SU's obstruction and the local landlord monopoly situation it's not happening.

Here is my guess, and my guess only. The Varsity will return, Faegans probably won’t.

I like that idea of recreating the Varsity’s facade. Yeah, even a World of Beer or something would kill it up there. But, yeah, in general up on the Hill is pretty terrible for libations/food and appearance. Really dumpy. I don’t blame Syverud for wanting to clean that up. It looks bad compared to most major schools.

A good architect would have a field day with the Varsity Sign and its history. I'm sure @NJCuse97 would agree -- so much could be done with that. Preserve the interior history but do a new (retro?) layout that's cleaner and more modern. It could be done very tastefully.

Faegans ... sorry. Have to disagree with you there. Yes it's been a while. But it has the same paneled feel as Clydes (DC) ... just needs updating. I've been in enough microbrews to know that there's still room for a good pub near campus.

A good architect would have a field day with the Varsity Sign and its history. I'm sure @NJCuse97 would agree -- so much could be done with that. Preserve the interior history but do a new (retro?) layout that's cleaner and more modern. It could be done very tastefully.

Faegans ... sorry. Have to disagree with you there. Yes it's been a while. But it has the same paneled feel as Clydes (DC) ... just needs updating. I've been in enough microbrews to know that there's still room for a good pub near campus.
Agreed...you need a mix.

Agreed...you need a mix.
Yes, and they're not FRANCHISES ... part of local history. I haven't been in Faegans in years and it probably needs a facelift/re-do (like the Dome). But there's nothing wrong with the concept IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom