Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Whatever it is doesn’t appear for me.
Syracuse.com Facebook page has the full press conference posted. It may be because I could only post the mobile link. Hopefully someone can post a link that works cross platform.

Populous is known for its work on stadiums, including Camden Yards and various European football stadiums.. HKS is known for...many things (airports, convention centers, residential structures and corporate buildings). When I think arenas and stadiums I think Populous. I hope they are still involved.

Populous is known for its work on stadiums, including Camden Yards and various European football stadiums.. HKS is known for...many things (airports, convention centers, residential structures and corporate buildings). When I think arenas and stadiums I think Populous. I hope they are still involved.
HKS does Sports...
HKS Architects - Sports & Entertainment

just looking at future schedule in 2020 id expect us to open the season away the first 2 weeks( wk 2 we are at rutgers, so either at mac school or a conference game away bc and clemson are open with 4 ooc games already scheduled) like we do in 19 with our yearly body bag fcs game in week 3

Pretty much everything I was told about the renovation was the stuff they decided.
I was told they wanted new video boards in the corners but the middle makes more sense.
It appears this AD is smartly only spending what the school has fundraised and not taking loans and spending more than we have. We have the TV money to spend more but have decided to be more fiscally responsible.

We need NJCuse97's input on this. I get that they've released only a digital sketch. But the more I look at it I can't figure out how the inward- facing hoop concept works (weight in the center supported by cables) without an equal or greater force pulling outward.
It will be a mostly downward force and if the roof sheds snow as it should, it will only need to support its own weight. The top of the steel structure (RandomGuy is right, this isn’t an architectural rendering) will be a compression ring the will take most of the roof’s downward force. The rest of the ring thickness will help disperse that load evenly. The key is to minimize the lateral forces pushing out. The ring will be wrapped or infilled with an architectural treatment that will need to let wind through so it doesn’t pick up a lateral wind load (the louvers RandomGuy mentions). The point of the ring structurally is almost exactly the same as the masts that are part of BC Place, the Millennium Dome, Denver International Airport, or the Olympic Stadium in Munich. A firm I worked at right out of school did one of the first fabric structures in the US for the NJ pavilion at the ‘64 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows (long before my time there) and a later firm I worked for was part of the BC Place team. What’s funny to me is there was a lot of joking about the Duomo in Florence, and there are some very real structural similarities.
Google Image Result for https://data.epo.org/publication-server/image?imageName=imgaf001&docId=14420054
Google Image Result for http://www.civilengineeringx.com/building/structural/FIGURE-8.32-Cable-roofs.-a-Cable-stayed-cantilever-roof.jpg

It will be a mostly downward force and if the roof sheds snow as it should, it will only need to support its own weight. The top of the steel structure (RandomGuy is right, this isn’t an architectural rendering) will be a compression ring the will take most of the roof’s downward force. The rest of the ring thickness will help disperse that load evenly. The key is to minimize the lateral forces pushing out. The ring will be wrapped or infilled with an architectural treatment that will need to let wind through so it doesn’t pick up a lateral wind load (the louvers RandomGuy mentions). The point of the ring structurally is almost exactly the same as the masts that are part of BC Place, the Millennium Dome, Denver International Airport, or the Olympic Stadium in Munich. A firm I worked at right out of school did one of the first fabric structures in the US for the NJ pavilion at the ‘64 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows (long before my time there) and a later firm I worked for was part of the BC Place team. What’s funny to me is there was a lot of joking about the Duomo in Florence, and there are some very real structural similarities.
Google Image Result for https://data.epo.org/publication-server/image?imageName=imgaf001&docId=14420054
Google Image Result for http://www.civilengineeringx.com/building/structural/FIGURE-8.32-Cable-roofs.-a-Cable-stayed-cantilever-roof.jpg
That would have been my guess.

Pretty easy to cover up the supports.. Dunno if I'd go with orange..
Guessing a billboard on the exterior roof would be feasible.

ndome13.jpg

119215979.jpg

Are you calling me psychic. ;)

removing the pee troughs is a major mistake. they are the most efficient system in the dome. and they are economical and low tech. urinals in stadiums constantly break and are expensive in the long run. we need to start a petition on the board to keep the pee troughs and add additional womens bathrooms.

removing the pee troughs is a major mistake. they are the most efficient system in the dome. and they are economical and low tech. urinals in stadiums constantly break and are expensive in the long run. we need to start a petition on the board to keep the pee troughs and add additional womens bathrooms.

No reason they couldn't add pee troughs to the women's rooms as well. Share the wealth.

Very happy with the announcement. There are always going to be some complaints because everyone is an expert on everything, but just glad they are moving forward with something more than just a roof. Very excited for those of you who live locally and can attend games there.

As far as what the roof will look like, I realize the Dome has been a big part of the Syracuse skyline for years, but I guess I have no problem giving that up for progress. Saying that, as I said, I don't live locally. But I've never been in a stadium/arena before and cared what it looked like from the outside.

That being said, my annual donation to SU athletics to support the effort will be going in this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom