Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I am talking Uber and Lyft.

Who wants to rely on Uber and Lyft all of the time? The prices aren't better than taking a cab. In some instances, you're better off taking a cab.

Who wants to rely on Uber and Lyft all of the time? The prices aren't better than taking a cab. In some instances, you're better off taking a cab.
A lot of people want to do that. I have not seen their prices more than a cab. In any case, they are extremely convenient and easier to request than a cab...and usually more prompt.

The overall point of the article is that technology will change the way most - if not all - people use transportation at some point in the near future. This nebulous future combined with the general higher property value in dense areas (e.g., college campuses with defined boundaries), makes it a smart idea to plan on fewer campus parking spaces (which generally sit unused for a not insignificant amount of the day). Parking lots are a poor use of valuable property.

Some people won't be happy until the dome is renovated to look exactly the same with wider concourses and seats (which magically stay the same view for the same price) and more parking lots to tailgate in combined with a new 8-lane freeway with ample on and off exits allowing for minimal traffic to a small neighborhood university.

I didn't realize that was the only salient point in the article ...
i didn't realize that making fun of a stupid study referenced in an article implies that was the only salient point in the article

citing such a goofy study does make a lot more skeptical of the author's other claims

The overall point of the article is that technology will change the way most - if not all - people use transportation at some point in the near future. This nebulous future combined with the general higher property value in dense areas (e.g., college campuses with defined boundaries), makes it a smart idea to plan on fewer campus parking spaces (which generally sit unused for a not insignificant amount of the day). Parking lots are a poor use of valuable property.

Some people won't be happy until the dome is renovated to look exactly the same with wider concourses and seats (which magically stay the same view for the same price) and more parking lots to tailgate in combined with a new 8-lane freeway with ample on and off exits allowing for minimal traffic to a small neighborhood university.

It will never be "all". There is more in this country than big cities.

A lot of people want to do that. I have not seen their prices more than a cab. In any case, they are extremely convenient and easier to request than a cab...and usually more prompt.

A lot is relative. It's still a very small minority of the population.

Or we could re-open the Erie Canal:

Canal-Outside-Middleport-1907.jpg

It would be faster than some options...

People that believe this are out of their minds. They think every place is San Francisco or NY. I can't imagine ride sharing in 1000s of places. Am I going to take it from Fulton to see my great aunt in Canton? Or in some Deep South locales? Give me a break. I have a new car with updated gps take me through upstate Ny and half the time it didn't even have me on a road.

To further your point, once you get west of Ohio, the distances grow greater between locales. Here in Houston, sure, the idea may work within the city, or possibly the county or metro area, but what about the people needing to get to San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Baton Rouge/NOLA, Galveston, or Corpus Christi? The range of these vehicles may be sufficient but the owner/operator is not going to want to let a person leave town without a formal, specific rental agreement (there goes convenience).

CENTRO isn't the only way to be car-free nowadays.

Such as? Bicycles? Horses? Segway?

Oh, remember Segway, when the creators stated it would transform cities. Roads would be obsolete in downtowns. Everyone would be using them? Yeah, how did that work out for them?

From a 2001 Good Morning America segment:

Mr Kamen has predicted that Segway will replace cars for short journeys, particularly in traffic-ridden urban areas, thus changing the urban landscape by introducing a smaller and more environmentally friendly alternative. Segway runs on electricity, with Mr Kamen claiming that six hours of charging time from a wall socket will power the scooter for 15 miles.

He told Time magazine: "Cars are great for going long distances, but it makes no sense at all for people in cities to use a 4,000-pound piece of metal to haul their 150-pound asses around town."

LMAO

To be fair to Uber/Lyft in the cities I use them they're usually about a third of the price of a cab. That said they're business doesn't make money so I don't know their viability long term. Disruptive technology is fine but is it AMazon or Juicero?

To further your point, once you get west of Ohio, the distances grow greater between locales. Here in Houston, sure, the idea may work within the city, or possibly the county or metro area, but what about the people needing to get to San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Baton Rouge/NOLA, Galveston, or Corpus Christi? The range of these vehicles may be sufficient but the owner/operator is not going to want to let a person leave town without a formal, specific rental agreement (there goes convenience).
If rideshare tech takes 25 percent of the market it will have done well.

Such as? Bicycles? Horses? Segway?

Oh, remember Segway, when the creators stated it would transform cities. Roads would be obsolete in downtowns. Everyone would be using them? Yeah, how did that work out for them?

From a 2001 Good Morning America segment:

LMAO

I think he meant owner-operated cars, not cards themselves. Also, walking and cycling are awfully popular options in cities.

Is anyone surprised that someone whose livelihood revolved around Segway made overly optimistic predictions about its potential?

I think he meant owner-operated cars, not cards themselves. Also, walking and cycling are awfully popular options in cities.

Is anyone surprised that someone whose livelihood revolved around Segway made overly optimistic predictions about its potential?
The Economist had a front cover story last month predicting the demise of the internal combustion engine, to be replaced by electric propulsion. Which is different from the end of the personal automobile.

Yeah...my first thought on that was the same. Of course he said that. He sells Segways! My second thought was, I never heard of him or his statement. There's a reason.

Yeah...my first thought on that was the same. Of course he said that. He sells Segways! My second thought was, I never heard of him or his statement. There's a reason.

I saw him once or twice

upload_2017-9-8_16-31-3.jpeg

Otto, c'mon be realistic. You may see folks walking and cycling, but it's still a very, very small population that does it as an every day mode of transportation. It just doesn't happen and never will.

Is your office paperless yet? Think that was predicted many decades ago!

Is everyone simply bored waiting for tomorrow's game?

I'll repeat - nothing is going to happen, if anything, until after the mayoral election...

our office tried to push paperless and you ended up with people not taking good notes because they had to be typed, and you cant look at stuff nearly as well on screens as on paper much of the time.

15 years is a long time in tech. 15 years ago no one carried pocket computers that allowed us to talk to each other over video or get any info we'd want by searching.

15 years is a short time in advancement in cars/transportation. Disruption here is pretty rare.

Something has to give. A lot hinges on energy creation and storage... a few more 500 year storms in a weeks span and who knows what we'll be willing to do.

15 years is a long time in tech. 15 years ago no one carried pocket computers that allowed us to talk to each other over video or get any info we'd want by searching.

15 years is a short time in advancement in cars/transportation. Disruption here is pretty rare.

Something has to give. A lot hinges on energy creation and storage... a few more 500 year storms in a weeks span and who knows what we'll be willing to do.

Worldwide food shortages will be the big issue in years to come...hydroponics is the answer!

Otto, c'mon be realistic. You may see folks walking and cycling, but it's still a very, very small population that does it as an every day mode of transportation. It just doesn't happen and never will.
I suppose we're talking about different places. Combined mode share is above a quarter in a couple places I've lived and I believe it's around 10% even in a pretty backward place like Syracuse.

I suppose we're talking about different places. Combined mode share is above a quarter in a couple places I've lived and I believe it's around 10% even in a pretty backward place like Syracuse.
Welcome to rural America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom