Future of SU Football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Future of SU Football

There will be a thread like this after every loss this season. :(
You might be right. That said, it probably depends on how quickly those losses occur (if we have any). I do think most here are still in Dino's camp and would love for him to re-establish things. I'm one of those people but at the same time, my patience is a bit thin.

You might be right. That said, it probably depends on how quickly those losses occur (if we have any). I do think most here are still in Dino's camp and would love for him to re-establish things. I'm one of those people but at the same time, my patience is a bit thin.
I think its remarkable how much support Babers still has, given the results of the past couple seasons. I used to joke that Marrone better be sending Ryan Nassib a big fruit cake every Christmas, and I think Dino needs to do the same thing for Dungey.

I think its remarkable how much support Babers still has, given the results of the past couple seasons. I used to joke that Marrone better be sending Ryan Nassib a big fruit cake every Christmas, and I think Dino needs to do the same thing for Dungey.
given the other thread's takes, i dont think anyone cares to give Dino any credit for that year, it was all Dungey.

With that contract extension, think he owes Dungey more than a Fruit Cake. Maybe a 7-layer?

With that contract extension, think he owes Dungey more than a Fruit Cake. Maybe a 7-layer?
g-money-cake-elegant-temptations-bakery-261711.jpg

Fans want hope and the 18 season was HOPE in a big way. We were discussed on College Game Day again, we played ND at Yankee Stadium ranked with hopes of bigger things. it proves that the program in the right hands and a consistent bowl appearance we'll be very patient with a HC. I think 19 was on Dino. He did not have the team ready to go. It was a bad coaching job. 2020 i give him a mulligan and i suspect the fan base does too.

2021 is where we find out who Dino is and what this program's trajectory is. Our peers are in decent shape right now so we need to keep pace.

Fans want hope and the 18 season was HOPE in a big way. We were discussed on College Game Day again, we played ND at Yankee Stadium ranked with hopes of bigger things. it proves that the program in the right hands and a consistent bowl appearance we'll be very patient with a HC. I think 19 was on Dino. He did not have the team ready to go. It was a bad coaching job. 2020 i give him a mulligan and i suspect the fan base does too.

2021 is where we find out who Dino is and what this program's trajectory is. Our peers are in decent shape right now so we need to keep pace.
Agreed. The buzz around the football program in '18 was so much fun. Unfortunately '19 was a disaster, and Dino owns it. I'm all for giving him a mulligan for last season as well, but I won't accept that it resets the floor. Going from 1 win to 4 is not some mark of vast improvement.

He hated recruiting with the resources he was given.

Indeed! Compared to what Babers has been given/made available in comparison to what Marrone had, not to mention pleaded for in order to be competitive, is night and day like. Marrone likely was hey, if the admin isn't 'all-in' relative to what it takes, commitment, investment, infrastructure, etc., than don't expect me to be either in that regard.

Indeed! Compared to what Babers has been given/made available in comparison to what Marrone had, not to mention pleaded for in order to be competitive, is night and day like. Marrone likely was hey, if the admin isn't 'all-in' relative to what it takes, commitment, investment, infrastructure, etc., than don't expect me to be either in that regard.
So, like TD, he wanted a clean pocket to operate in.

The blueprint is simple-It's finding the right coach to actually carry it out. I think Marrone was on his way until he left. Clawson has done a great job at Wake, a school with less history and resources than us. There's no one who we can hire that's bringing in top 20 classes (at least without cheating, if that's even possible anymore). Mike Locksley was supposed to be a great recruiter, particularly in the MD/DC area. How's Maryland been doing with him at the helm?
I think our recruiting on Defense has been good enough the last few years, particularly in the back 7. The DL recruiting has picked up since White joined the staff. Surprisingly with Dino, the weakness in recruiting has been on Offense, particularly at QB and OL.

If Marrone had Babers' level of support ...

Who are we kidding? Marrone didn't like recruiting, and was always in search of an NFL job. If he had Dino's facilities, it wouldn't have mattered. He still would have left for an NFL job.

The general lack of appreciation (understanding?) for what Marrone was able to accomplish here - following the abyss of the Robinson Era, the lack of resources and financial commitment, and the actions of the AD - still makes me shake my head.

What argument are you talking about? Im not aware of this push for clawson on this board. Please enlightnen me

The general lack of appreciation (understanding?) for what Marrone was able to accomplish here - following the abyss of the Robinson Era, the lack of resources and financial commitment, and the actions of the AD - still makes me shake my head.
Like P, there's a bit of a mixed bag of things surrounding his time here. Generally, I think both of them were really, really good with enough meh mixed in to make it a touch more complicated.

I think the timing of his leaving (yes, when the NFL calls, you go) was rough. New conference, new QB. I wonder if 2013 would have been his 2019.

Like P, there's a bit of a mixed bag of things surrounding his time here. Generally, I think both of them were really, really good with enough meh mixed in to make it a touch more complicated.

I think the timing of his leaving (yes, when the NFL calls, you go) was rough. New conference, new QB. I wonder if 2013 would have been his 2019.
Arguably 2011 was Marrone's 2019.

If Marrone had Babers' level of support ...

Who are we kidding? Marrone didn't like recruiting, and was always in search of an NFL job. If he had Dino's facilities, it wouldn't have mattered. He still would have left for an NFL job.

A lot of guys want NFL jobs. But if it doesn't work out, they come back.

Spurrier
Saban
Chip Kelly
Petrino
Schiano
Mike Riley
Butch Davis

Doug is spending a year back at college now, working for the best of the best. Perhaps for a college head coach return?

I didn’t say he was a great coach. I said good coach. Just like you did. No one is pleading for him to replace Dino. I would not want Clausen at Cuse. He can’t recruit .lol. His classes are bad despite his mild success. His blueprint is just like any other struggling program. The same way Coach Mac did it and everyone else. That’s why he was named. Is it ok to mention another coach on here without people getting sensitive?

Agreed. The buzz around the football program in '18 was so much fun. Unfortunately '19 was a disaster, and Dino owns it. I'm all for giving him a mulligan for last season as well, but I won't accept that it resets the floor. Going from 1 win to 4 is not some mark of vast improvement.

We NEED to bowl this year. And when I say Bowl, I mean ANY bowl.
I feel like anything less than a bowl appearance and we're suddenly in a situation where the body of work is something that needs to be scrutinized and tough decisions have to be made.

I do think if Dino fails to convert this year the AD is going to be in a major pickle because turning over a football program is expensive. Not sure the AD wants to be taking on this project with the potential for a basketball hire on the horizon too at any point.

A lot of guys want NFL jobs. But if it doesn't work out, they come back.

Spurrier
Saban
Chip Kelly
Petrino
Schiano
Mike Riley
Butch Davis

Doug is spending a year back at college now, working for the best of the best. Perhaps for a college head coach return?

You intimating he'd come back to Syracuse post Dino? I'd be shocked if this were to occur but stranger things have happened. Was Marrone considered a difficult person to manage due to the lack of funds in football ops or is he a difficult person no matter what. I suspect Wildhack won't want to fire a decent man who doesn't seem to be a problem to manage (usually u find these things out after a firing) to hire the former coach who seemed to burn down the building when he left but who knows really

I didn’t say he was a great coach. I said good coach. Just like you did. No one is pleading for him to replace Dino. I would not want Clausen at Cuse. He can’t recruit .lol. His classes are bad despite his mild success. His blueprint is just like any other struggling program. The same way Coach Mac did it and everyone else. That’s why he was named. Is it ok to mention another coach on here without people getting sensitive?
We could do a lot worse than Clawson. If he wins and brings us to 5 bowl games in a row like he's done at Wake, I don't care what his recruiting rankings are.

He didn’t enjoy but does it mean he was bad at it? You still have to identify players that you can develop and maximize their abilities.

We NEED to bowl this year. And when I say Bowl, I mean ANY bowl.
I feel like anything less than a bowl appearance and we're suddenly in a situation where the body of work is something that needs to be scrutinized and tough decisions have to be made.

I do think if Dino fails to convert this year the AD is going to be in a major pickle because turning over a football program is expensive. Not sure the AD wants to be taking on this project with the potential for a basketball hire on the horizon too at any point.
Agree completely. I don't know what's going to happen if we don't scratch-and-claw our way to a bowl. But one thing I won't entertain is some vague notion that "we're improving" because we got 4 or 5 wins and "we looked competitive" in a few losses. Missing a bowl this season is a failure, period, IMHO.

Agree completely. I don't know what's going to happen if we don't scratch-and-claw our way to a bowl. But one thing I won't entertain is some vague notion that "we're improving" because we got 4 or 5 wins and "we looked competitive" in a few losses. Missing a bowl this season is a failure, period, IMHO.
agree

6 years of grobbycakes and SS = 24 wins & 1 bowl win.

5 years of dino = 24 wins & 1 bowl win.

he needs a shlit load of separation from those 2 this year.