FWIW...Student mask compliance... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

FWIW...Student mask compliance...

You can’t expect 18-21 years on a campus to just stay in the rooms.
It’s pointless and selfish to have the kids on campus if they have to live in their rooms like it’s a minimum security prison.
Send them home or don’t be shocked with this stuff.

Yup. Colleges have tried to have it both ways -- there was no way to safely incorporate the social aspects of college with the current demands of the pandemic. They tried and students did what students do. I'd hope the kids would be smarter but it was an unrealistic ask. Maybe a college bubble would have worked better but that only works if you dont have staff coming and going into the campus everyday. Colleges need the money and naturally did what they did so they could welcome kids back...and then promptly blame the kids for having to send them home (which in effect, is worse during a pandemic as you'll now be spreading the virus but I digress).

SU can scold the undergrads all they want, this should be looked at as institutional failure. It’s not a plan to rely on 18 year olds to respect what’s good for those around them.

Aren't they adults? Haven't they been educated on the consequences?
This is after one week; What will it be like in a month?

Aren't they adults? Haven't they been educated on the consequences?
This is after one week; What will it be like in a month?
No they’re not adults. The human sense of consequence isn’t considered in adult state until the age of 25. May as well get scientific with it.

Educating them, and affirming the consequences falls on Syracuse University.

Not one person here should be surprised this happened. Im only surprised more precautions by campus security and administrators weren’t taken to stop and avoid it.

Hey, it's not like this happened right next to DPS's offices in Sims Hall, in the middle of a huge public space ringed by dozens of high-quality security cameras.

It's almost as if certain employees aren't trying to do their jobs...

No they’re not adults. The human sense of consequence isn’t considered in adult state until the age of 25. May as well get scientific with it.

The students at my college always champion the idea that they are adults and want to be treated as such.

The students at my college always champion the idea that they are adults and want to be treated as such.
Is your college a perennial top party school that charges families an arm and a leg for tuition/etc.?

The eyes of the city/state were on the school, they’re down 0-2 in the count by the looks of it.

done in spades

Don't know about quarantined kids but kids returning to campus from non-quarantined locations need to have a negative test no more than ten days prior to their return to campus and then will have to have another test once they are back on campus.

I think Syracuse is being very diligent with these requirements.

I wonder what the requirements were at some of these other schools where you now have large outbreaks.

Did they force their returning students to get tested and provide proof of a negative test before returning?
Was there any quarantining of students returning from problem states/areas?
Was there mandatory testing once they returned to campus?
Everyone at ND was tested.

You can’t expect 18-21 years on a campus to just stay in the rooms.
It’s pointless and selfish to have the kids on campus if they have to live in their rooms like it’s a minimum security prison.
Send them home or don’t be shocked with this stuff.

Is Syracuse preventing fraternities from having kids live in them? I mean this whole thing is a farce if so. Syracuse, if they want to prevent this, should shut the campus down, shut down sports and wait for the pandemic to cool off before they allow students back on campus.

Otherwise, it's a farce

done in spades

Who cares how much education SU has tried to shove down their throats about the topic? I bet their HS and parents, too, educated them over the last five months.

It's borderline criminal to think kids who are newly independent, in a setting like a college campus, would not want to explore their new territory.

Sorry, this BS is on SU equally, if not more, than on the kids. (And, yes, they are kids.)

SU gets to sleep in the bed its made at this point.

This is a major embarrassment. Syverud needs to come down on these kids. Lock down Flint and Day and make them all get tested. They all signed the stay safe pledge. It's not fair to all the kids who have done the right thing, who paid to stay in a hotel for the last two weeks, got tested on their own dime in order to return to SU. I'm pissed off by this reckless disregard for the SU community.
I wouldn't want to be in the Chancellor's shoes this morning. There is a lot riding on his response to this.

Has already happened on campuses across the US. Reports of it happening at Iowa State this last weekend (that report was from my stepdaughter and I wasnt impressed) as well as at Okie State where a bunch of sorority girls tested positive after parties.

is it ok...I dont think so...is it am embarrassment to Su...only because it might be to us...but it isnt just SU having this issue.

Who cares how much education SU has tried to shove down their throats about the topic? I bet their HS and parents, too, educated them over the last five months.

It's borderline criminal to think kids who are newly independent, in a setting like a college campus, would not want to explore their new territory.

Sorry, this BS is on SU equally, if not more, than on the kids. (And, yes, they are kids.)

SU gets to sleep in the bed its made at this point.

I was responding to a posters statement.

Oh my god, that is so sad. THIS is what we are worried about.

Myocarditis can happen with any virus.

Edgerrin James missed the game vs SU in 1997 because he had an irregular heartbeat related to a virus he had.

Is Syracuse preventing fraternities from having kids live in them? I mean this whole thing is a farce if so. Syracuse, if they want to prevent this, should shut the campus down, shut down sports and wait for the pandemic to cool off before they allow students back on campus.

Otherwise, it's a farce

This virus is a fact of life. There's a wide range of things that people do at that age that are riskier than potentially getting this virus.

I get that there are staff involved and they need to consider how to protect them. Temperature scans, testing, and masks in those settings are reasonable, as is remote teaching if a professor is particularly at risk for example.

IMO its unreasonable to ask a population that isn't at any significant risk of bad outcomes to not get on with life.

This appears to be the covid thread of the day - for good reason - so I think this fits here to some extent.

how do they know this was a result of covid and not pre-existing?

IMO its unreasonable to ask a population that isn't at any significant risk of bad outcomes to not get on with life.

Then they should go do that at home. Shameful that a school would embrace such a "keep on livin'" philosophy given its characteristics.

Oh please stop it with the drama. They were all tested around others who were tested. It's not ideal during these times but better outside in the quad then in some freshmen door floor or other indoor place.

I'm not going to scold them cause I did the same thing when I was in college and y'all did too. We all had the same mentality.

Will you scold them if the school shuts down and does on-line learning like Michigan State and UNC are doing? What if this shuts down football and basketball?

We’re in a pandemic. What they did was irresponsible.

This is not a normal freshman class as all. Most have already been affected by Covid in one way or another directly. From missed graduations, to virtual learning, from early school shutdowns to missed proms and balls missing out on spring sports, i mean you name it. Im not going to give this group of freshman the same benefit of the doubt i would give a normal freshman, These people know whats going on and have already had some important events in a young persons life tabled. They are not oblivious to what is going on and the consequences. Maybe they have just grown weary of having there lives changed so much already i dont know. It is for certain freshman all over the country are not unaware of what Covid is and how it can quickly change your education and life status.
Having said that they are still young people and young people do dumb things to I hope they are not expelled if they are caught but perhaps just sent home for a semester to virtual learn.