Class of 2019 - G Dyaisha Fair (NY) Transferring from Buffalo to Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 G Dyaisha Fair (NY) Transferring from Buffalo to Syracuse

Wow. If you don't have endorsements that's as pedestrian as it gets.
$60k entry level position? Sign me up.

Just because it isn’t millions of dollars doesn’t mean it isn’t a livable wage. It took me 10 years out of college to make that, and I lived in NYC for all of them.

Additionally - Do you know how “profitable” the WNBA is?

Just because it isn’t millions of dollars doesn’t mean it isn’t a livable wage. It took me 10 years out of college to make that, and I lived in NYC for all of them.

I started in the DC market nearly 18 yrs ago at 30k a year. So 60k today as a professional ain't that much in many markets especially for the entertainment industry. After 15 yrs working in and around analytics including main street finances and budgeting- I promise you pedestrian is a fair descriptor. For instance you can go work the line at a Proctor and Gamble plant now with zero experience or college education for 65k a year and get bumped to 75k in a year. And that is in a low cost area.

Last edited:
I started in the DC market nearly 18 yrs ago at 30k a year. So 60k today as a professional ain't that much in many markets especially for the entertainment industry. After 15 yrs working in and around analytics including main street finances and budgeting- I promise you pedestrian is a fair descriptor. For instance you can go work the line at a Proctor and Gamble plant now with zero experience or college education for 65k a year and get bumped to 75k in a year. And that is in a low cost area.
I’m in the wrong line of work.

WNBA is not profitable.

"In terms of raw numbers, the WNBA generates roughly $60 million in revenue every season. That may sound like a lot, but when matched up against the $70 million the league costs to run, it actually loses roughly $10 million with each passing year."

Fair's window at So Carolina might be shrinking.
1650248195574.png

And pay to play in an adult rec bball league. Or, you can play a game you love for that amount and always go take that job at P&G if it doesn't work out.
You want a pedestrian wage? Minor league baseball fits that bill and there's no shortage of guys going that route for multiple years trying to catch a lucky break. My opinion, you're only young once, so go take your chances on your dream while you have the opportunity. There's plenty of time to make money doing something you don't love, if money is your main motivator.

And pay to play in an adult rec bball league. Or, you can play a game you love for that amount and always go take that job at P&G if it doesn't work out.
You want a pedestrian wage? Minor league baseball fits that bill and there's no shortage of guys going that route for multiple years trying to catch a lucky break. My opinion, you're only young once, so go take your chances on your dream while you have the opportunity. There's plenty of time to make money doing something you don't love, if money is your main motivator.

Couple things- I never said don't go play based on the wages. Wasn't my point at all. It was just pointing out that for a professional league in one of the most popular sports in the country, the wage is pedestrian( which if the league is bleeding money isn’t changing anytime soon then). Way too much reading into what I'm saying here. Minor league baseball is chasing a bigger paycheck and a dream. The WNBA is the highest league in this country. You could play for 14 years at these modest wages and then hopefully transition to a good job barring your degree or network provides that opportunity. Nothing wrong with a labor of love- just for the women's game when they walk away they don't have a giant capital buffer to just do whatever they want unless they have endorsements( to my OP).

Couple things- I never said don't go play based on the wages. Wasn't my point at all. It was just pointing out that for a professional league in one of the most popular sports in the country, the wage is pedestrian( which if the league is bleeding money isn’t changing anytime soon then). Way too much reading into what I'm saying here. Minor league baseball is chasing a bigger paycheck and a dream. The WNBA is the highest league in this country. You could play for 14 years at these modest wages and then hopefully transition to a good job barring your degree or network provides that opportunity. Nothing wrong with a labor of love- just for the women's game when they walk away they don't have a giant capital buffer to just do whatever they want unless they have endorsements( to my OP).
That's why players like Stewie went to Russia. She was paid 7 figures, and gets 228,094 max salary here.
I doubt anymore players will go there even if the war ends. But they make more money in Europe, and Australia then here.

From her instagram story it looks like she is visiting Miami today.

Just a couple of comments...

From reading the Boneyard, South Carolina is involved with a number of the top portal transfer players. Including Angel Reese. I do not think Fair is going to have the option of going there unless she is willing to walk on.

Makes sense she is dropping her sights to more realistic options like Miami. Of course, there is no way she is ever going to win a NC there (Miami will be fortunate to make the NCAA tournament) but she is from Rochester, has been going to college in Buffalo, probably the worst climate for a school in the US, and if she can't win a NC, maybe her next priority is to enjoy some nice weather.

Looks like HCFLJ is going to load up with the best of upstate NY and see if we can win with a regional approach. Very marked change from Q, who recruited all over the US, Canada and the rest of the world.

Hope we expand recruiting more as the staff settles in. I like getting the best players from upstate NY but I don't think we can win the ACC without augmenting them with some great players in other places. Really hoping we focus a lot of attention on Canada. There are a lot of great players coming out of there and Syracuse is positioned well geographically to get a lot of them.

From reading the Boneyard, South Carolina is involved with a number of the top portal transfer players. Including Angel Reese. I do not think Fair is going to have the option of going there unless she is willing to walk on.

Makes sense she is dropping her sights to more realistic options like Miami. Of course, there is no way she is ever going to win a NC there (Miami will be fortunate to make the NCAA tournament) but she is from Rochester, has been going to college in Buffalo, probably the worst climate for a school in the US, and if she can't win a NC, maybe her next priority is to enjoy some nice weather.

Looks like HCFLJ is going to load up with the best of upstate NY and see if we can win with a regional approach. Very marked change from Q, who recruited all over the US, Canada and the rest of the world.

Hope we expand recruiting more as the staff settles in. I like getting the best players from upstate NY but I don't think we can win the ACC without augmenting them with some great players in other places. Really hoping we focus a lot of attention on Canada. There are a lot of great players coming out of there and Syracuse is positioned well geographically to get a lot of them.
I think getting the best players from NY is a temporary fix. FLJ needs players and getting girls to come back home may be an easier sell at this point. Long term she will be expand the recruiting reach.

I think getting the best players from NY is a temporary fix. FLJ needs players and getting girls to come back home may be an easier sell at this point. Long term she will be expand the recruiting reach.
Agree. I think this is the strategy she is using.

Agree. I think this is the strategy she is using.

Agreed 144%.

She desperately needed to restock the shelves here, and rapidly.
Getting kids who already know her and her playing style is a no-brainer, at least for this initial push to fill all those holes.

I’d be shocked if she didn’t cast a much wider net in future recruiting efforts, especially once she has a system in place to recruit to.

Agreed 144%.

She desperately needed to restock the shelves here, and rapidly.
Getting kids who already know her and her playing style is a no-brainer, at least for this initial push to fill all those holes.

I’d be shocked if she didn’t cast a much wider net in future recruiting efforts, especially once she has a system in place to recruit to.
If weirdo Q could get highly ranked players to Syracuse, surely FLJ can.

Dawn wasn't the GOAT as a player, and certainly isn't the GOAT as a coach. Possible candidates for GOAT as a player.
Laureen Jackson, DT, Candace, Maya, Swopes, and others. As far as coaches, Geno, and Pat are way ahead of her.

Dawn wasn't the GOAT as a player, and certainly isn't the GOAT as a coach. Possible candidates for GOAT as a player.
Laureen Jackson, DT, Candace, Maya, Swopes, and others. As far as coaches, Geno, and Pat are way ahead of her.
Dawn Staley was a very very good player. She was national player of the year twice. She’s also won two titles as a coach and is only 51. You’re severely underselling her.

Dawn Staley was a very very good player. She was national player of the year twice. She’s also won two titles as a coach and is only 51. You’re severely underselling her.

And she might be the GOAT women's lead guard.

I can tell you that Felicia and Sue were in Virginia yesterday doin some selling.

Some of the players I mentioned have been 2 or 3 times MVP in the WNBA a much higher level of play. Maya was 4 times player of the year in college, and has been MVP in the WNBA.
Dawn was a good player, but no where near the level of the all time greats.
Geno has 11 championships, Pat has 8.
Dawn needs to win a few more to be in the conversation. She is among the best of all time because she has won 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom