G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college 1-and-done route

The best guys, or the guys that believe they are better, or the guys that just aren't academically able to hack college will go. The ones that aren't - at the age of 18 - determined to be good enough for at least the G League will opt for college.

I'm thinking its great for the high school kid who's a borderline college player. Now there will be more spots for those kids. the college game will be what it should be, more amateur-like.

The key is how the recruits react to this new path. The decision on the select few will not take place until after their senior year. There are no guarantees before that. If I were a recruit, I would have to assume that I have to go to college - and commit to a college. Then IF I were one of those select few, I could decide to go to the G League.

From a college's perspective, there is no hard criteria to help determine if a player will selected. Can a college refuse to accept a commitment from a recruit who is ranked 15th? How about 10th? 8th? This may prevent a single college from cornering the top ranked recruits, because if they were to gamble on two or three top recruits, they may find all their best recruits going to the G league. Case in point Duke this year or Kentucky - they have to much more cautious.

Not good for the game and what is elite? Top 10? Top 25? Top 50?

Except plummers and electricians go through a more structured and lengthy apprentice process that still requires them to take classes that they pay for and pass tests before they are journeymen. These website state it is recommended people attend a trade school before apprenticing and they don't make that much while apprenticing.

Eager for a Great Job? This Is How to Become an Electrician

Explore The Trades | Plumbers - Apprenticeship, Journeyman, and Master Plumbers: Understanding the Difference

That scholly that includes classes, room & board, and a cash stipend doesn't look too bad comoared to that.

Oh I agree with you sufandu and my point is that these players will be getting real life NBA training and not have to pretend in some cases of going to school. College hoop is quite different than the G league much like going to college or being an apprentice.

With the hype of college basketball season getting closer and stronger, and the great prospects for our team, I can’t help but think about Bazley and what he must be thinking now.

Took himself out of media hype and spotlight. Will get no development through competition. Basically, fell off the map regarding exposure and now seems like a footnote as everyone moves forward. Got to be devastating. If we were to win NC can’t imagine his regrets. Sad.

I think this is a good thing for the overall concept of College basketball although it may mean that some of the top programs, who have in the past signed these "one and done" phenoms, may miss out of some of them.

These are kids who seem to have no interest in a college education. They might be:

1. Academically deficient and not want to sit through hours of classroom time being mystified by stuff they have zero interest in. Giving these kids an alternative means we can all feel a little better about what we are watching (actual college students competing)

2. They may feel any college is really unnecessary since they will soon be making more money in a year than the top 30 members of their class combined. They aren't wrong, IMO.

3. They might think they can get the college they want later and that they should take the money NOW. Getting to the NBA sooner most likely means a longer NBA career and that means more money.

Now I recognize many will view this through the prism of what's good and bad for SU. But, this sounds to me like it will make college basketball more generally competitive and more exciting.

I think this is a good thing for the overall concept of College basketball although it may mean that some of the top programs, who have in the past signed these "one and done" phenoms, may miss out of some of them.

These are kids who seem to have no interest in a college education. They might be:

1. Academically deficient and not want to sit through hours of classroom time being mystified by stuff they have zero interest in. Giving these kids an alternative means we can all feel a little better about what we are watching (actual college students competing)

2. They may feel any college is really unnecessary since they will soon be making more money in a year than the top 30 members of their class combined. They aren't wrong, IMO.

3. They might think they can get the college they want later and that they should take the money NOW. Getting to the NBA sooner most likely means a longer NBA career and that means more money.

Now I recognize many will view this through the prism of what's good and bad for SU. But, this sounds to me like it will make college basketball more generally competitive and more exciting.

Good post.
The 2 interesting things to me. 18, and offered the incredible sum of $125,000
You think you are set for life.
The major reason for attending college is not the NBA salary, but the potential for earning more marketing dollars. I could see big stars for top college teams earning a comparable amount if the get a share of marketing dollars eventually.
Plus long-term marketing due to name recognition is still much better in college than G-League.

It's a good change. This will help attract fans to G League games and grow the league. Controversial decisions will be made that help and hurt players, but that's no different than the decisions players make in baseball and hockey. I like it.

Will be interesting to see if the really top kids take advantage of this rule change. Bazley missed out on this by one year. The opportunity to play at a top school like Duke or Kentucky might still be more attractive than a one year salary in the G League playing in front of 500 fans.

Just to add one thought to your discussion: The $125k would probably be the base salary for these prospects. If what we're seeing, or hearing, from the trial the past few weeks is true, then the various shoe companies are quite willing to spend significant sums, illicitly, to do little more than establish a relationship with these players It is mere speculation, too. Witness Ayton's signing with Puma after attending an Adidas school. Also, presumably there are untold complications in their accounting procedures. I have no idea how they record these expenditures in their ledgers. So, how much more would Adidas be willing to spend on a legitimate contract with one of these kids. I would think it's a considerable sum. With a decent shoe contract and the odd local endorsement deal, I imagine one of these players could easily double that original salary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom