Geno Gone | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Gillon is about 5'9". Howard Washington is 6'1" or 6'2".
Seeing him out there...I can't imagine he is more than 6'0"

He appeared much smaller than Battle.

Battle is close to 6'7".
I was just making an observation...sigh

I know how to read rosters.

Was it Captain Obvious? probably
But it was the first time seeing both out there in person. The height disparity was obvious and I wondered how it effects the Zone's ability to deny passing lanes and lobs?

I was just making an observation...sigh

I know how to read rosters.

Was it Captain Obvious? probably
But it was the first time seeing both out there in person. The height disparity was obvious and I wondered how it effects the Zone's ability to deny passing lanes and lobs?

Ha. I'm well away you know how to read a roster. I brought up Battle's height to say that HW could look much smaller than Battle and still be 6'2".

Battle is a very big guard and he's also much more stoutly built than he looks on tv. Washington's hair gives him a few inches on the Hoops Fake Height Meter. :(

Where would Thompson play on the defensive end? He was absolutely horrible on defense and played with ZERO effort. He’d be ok at the four on offense, but he was one of the reasons we were a terrible rebounding and defensive team last year. I don’t miss him even a little bit. You can’t win with guys like him. There’s a reason why schools were not knocking the door down to recruit him.
I don't really want to admit it, but I think we would be better with Thompson. He'd start in place of Moyer, hasn't really been amazing on defense. And I think with the threat of pine, with Moyer and Dolemite ready to take minutes, he'd have to be more inspired to defend. With Chukwu's improvement and Sidibe, we wouldn't have seen him at center from which I can imagine some of his poor attitude may have sprung.

I don't really want to admit it, but I think we would be better with Thompson. He'd start in place of Moyer, hasn't really been amazing on defense. And I think with the threat of pine, with Moyer and Dolemite ready to take minutes, he'd have to be more inspired to defend. With Chukwu's improvement and Sidibe, we wouldn't have seen him at center from which I can imagine some of his poor attitude may have sprung.

Can't say what TT's defensive acumen may have been on this team but we sure could use his offensive game this year. Having said that, I do think the team will learn what works for the team offensively. I was impressed with FW's responses in the PC, he seems ready to understand mistakes and learn from them. Its a good sign.

Hmm. Oops. Guess he was ready enough, huh? Guess your close friend JB decided not to play OB or Marek at the top of the zone? I'm sure that scenario would be done in an emergency but it is farcical to think that Howard Washington wasn't going to be the backup guard with Thorpe gone.

Oh, and I realize he wasn't very productive but Howard Washington played fine yesterday, considering he was thrown to the wolves. He was cool under fire, took the ball up against pressure and did not turn the ball over. His defense was fine (nothing that would stand out but more than serviceable). If one of his 3's fell, he'd be really getting kudos. Those shots showed self-confidence and none of them were bad shots. Once he plays 7-8 minutes or so a game on a consistent basis, he will be exactly what we need.

I firmly believe JB should not wait until Frank or Tyus are in foul trouble to bring Washington in. Get him up at some point in the first half and put him in for either guard. Make him feel like he's part of the rotation. Washington will be fine off the ball.

On a side note, does anyone else think HW might be closer to 6'1"? He's never looked 6'3" to me.
I went back and read his posts. They were really not all that bad.

And HW looks barely 6 imho

I went back and read his posts. They were really not all that bad.

And HW looks barely 6 imho

Never said they were bad. I quoted them above in full so people can judge but it’s ludicrous to think JB was going to use a forward at guard over HW. I was polite when he first said that because I’d rather let it play out on the court. It did.

And saying no one on the board is closer to JB than he is?

Last edited:
Never said they were bad. I quoted them above in full so people can judge but it’s ludicrous to think JB was going to use a forward at guard over HW. I was polite when he first said that because I’d rather let it play out on the court. It did.

And saying no one on the board is closer to JB than he is?
I do agree with the strangeness of the opinion. That’s never going to happen, especially given last year. Move Oshae up and lose his rebounding? Lol

Sounds like his dad is disappointed in his decision too. Really a shame. I get that he wanted to play immediately, but if he knows this disease causes injuries to heal slower than normal, he really should have sat out the first few games to get healthy. This article makes his departure sound even worse now. Doesn't sound like a return is possible.

Didn't know about the disease he has. That's really tough. He would have been helpful eventually, that's for sure. Heck, he would have been helpful for Kansas.

I don't want to kick a kid while he is down. That disease has got to be frustrating. It's discouraging to read though that he did the same thing at Penn State regarding playing time. A little adversity and he jumps ship? There's still a lot of season left. Seems like there could have been an option to shut it down for a few weeks and still have a chance to return and be a spark for the team in conference play versus just quitting? The 'one class that meets one day a week' comment at the end is also telling that he was doing the bare minimum to just hoop. Plenty of extra time to rehab and get the injury to heal right even if it's a slower process for him.

Serious question. How does he (or anyone for that matter) qualify to play, taking only one course?

Because he’s probably earning a CAS, not a full Masters Degree. I believe for a CAS (certificate of advanced study) you only need 9 credits. 3 credits in the fall, 3 in the spring, and 3 in the summer.

Serious question. How does he (or anyone for that matter) qualify to play, taking only one course?

The graduate transfer thing is such a sham. Let me guess - Geno was taking the same "instructional design" degree program that all SU's grad transfers and fifth-year players have been steered into?

The graduate transfer thing is such a sham. Let me guess - Geno was taking the same "instructional design" degree program that all SU's grad transfers and fifth-year players have been steered into?
What's wrong with that?

- ME

It's things like this that don't make UNCs violations serious. It's a joke.

I don't get it. He's unhappy with his playing time so now he's not going to play at all ?

Yeah, this is the thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around either. Limited play with the potential (likely potential) to play a lot more vs. no playing time. How could any logical person think that he deserved to start? That said, man, he could have worked himself into a nice rotation where the minutes would have been there for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom