Geno Gone | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Over the years JB has been very consistent with PT. He doesn't play favorites. He consistently plays the very best players. I have never seen in all the year's I've watch Orange basketball a kid come in do good things and not earn more playing time.

I think Gino is a good player. But just because he transfers here doesn't mean he's guaranteed to play. I am sure JB and the coaching staff made this very clear to Gino that his PT would be based on the quality of his play compared to the other players. It's too bad about his ankle.

What has made Orange basketball so much fun and interesting to watch is when a kid you've followed puts in tons of hard work and gets past injuries to finally get a time to shine in big game and then actualizes his potentials. I want to see Gino successful. But he has to have faith in his own game and the coaches decisions. I hope he cools down, changes his mind, and joins the team again.

Hmm. Oops. Guess he was ready enough, huh? Guess your close friend JB decided not to play OB or Marek at the top of the zone? I'm sure that scenario would be done in an emergency but it is farcical to think that Howard Washington wasn't going to be the backup guard with Thorpe.

Oh, and I realize he wasn't very productive but Howard Washington played fine yesterday, considering he was thrown to the wolves. He was cool under fire, took the ball up against pressure and did not turn the ball over. His defense was fine (nothing that would stand out but more than serviceable). If one of his 3's fell, he'd be really getting kudos. Those shots showed self-confidence and none of them were bad shots. Once he plays 7-8 minutes or so a game on a consistent basis, he will be exactly what we need.

I firmly believe JB should not wait until Frank or Tyus are in foul trouble to bring Washington in. Get him up at some point in the first half and put him in for either guard. Make him feel like he's part of the rotation. Washington will be fine off the ball.

On a side note, does anyone else think HW might be closer to 6'1"? He's never looked 6'3" to me.

Washington did a lot of good things yesterday, especially for a guy who had not been doing more than play garbage minutes to have to jump right in and be solid. He has PG instincts and you could see him probing but doing so tepidly. Get him some more action and comfort with his teammates and that can turn into production when it is needed.

I was hoping cooler heads would prevail after he had a day or two to think about it. this is exactly why you can't go into the season with only 3 guards. In the short term I think this is a pretty big setback but it could be a good thing long-term as far as the development of Washington. Gino is obviously looking for a bigger role and quite frankly I thought he would have a bigger role coming into the season 20 25 minutes a game. Frank has just been so good that would Geno coming in late and then spraining his ankle and struggling it just wasn't going to happen.

It's hard to have competitive practices with only 3 scholarship guards. That's where this is going to hurt the most.

It's hard to have competitive practices with only 3 scholarship guards. That's where this is going to hurt the most.

I do think this is where Bayer helps. He is a shooter ( yes in the scrimmage mostly) but also has good size. This can only help defensively in practice given this is always the biggest concern a la huerter and now Graham.

Hmm. Oops. Guess he was ready enough, huh? Guess your close friend JB decided not to play OB or Marek at the top of the zone? I'm sure that scenario would be done in an emergency but it is farcical to think that Howard Washington wasn't going to be the backup guard with Thorpe.

Oh, and I realize he wasn't very productive but Howard Washington played fine yesterday, considering he was thrown to the wolves. He was cool under fire, took the ball up against pressure and did not turn the ball over. His defense was fine (nothing that would stand out but more than serviceable). If one of his 3's fell, he'd be really getting kudos. Those shots showed self-confidence and none of them were bad shots. Once he plays 7-8 minutes or so a game on a consistent basis, he will be exactly what we need.

I firmly believe JB should not wait until Frank or Tyus are in foul trouble to bring Washington in. Get him up at some point in the first half and put him in for either guard. Make him feel like he's part of the rotation. Washington will be fine off the ball.

On a side note, does anyone else think HW might be closer to 6'1"? He's never looked 6'3" to me.

My one disagreement is defensively. I thought there was a noticeable drop off with Washington out there on that end.

I liked how he looked offensively.

Washington did a lot of good things yesterday, especially for a guy who had not been doing more than play garbage minutes to have to jump right in and be solid. He has PG instincts and you could see him probing but doing so tepidly. Get him some more action and comfort with his teammates and that can turn into production when it is needed.

Exactly. Kid is experienced, level-headed and yes, talented. No one ever said he's going to step in and be sensational. I think he can be solid, smart and sufficient and he would've been all along.

Geno would've been fine too and he will be missed (unless GT's attitude was going to be an issue. If so, good riddance).

I do think this is where Bayer helps. He is a shooter ( yes in the scrimmage mostly) but also has good size. This can only help defensively in practice given this is always the biggest concern a la huerter and now Graham.

There's a chance that Bayer is the emergency 4th guard in games too, not one of the forwards.

My one disagreement is defensively. I thought there was a noticeable drop off with Washington out there on that end.

I liked how he looked offensively.

He moved fine. KU did get off better shots up top with Washington is the game especially Graham but two of those were on Tyus's side. I think Howard Washington's help and recovery defense is not where it needs to be and maybe that led to the open looks on Tyus's side. His defense will get better when he's used to playing defense with the other guards in games. You need game action to build cohesion and confidence. I will say HW's defense was better than Gillon's was (that's not saying much). To me, HW looked better on defense than he did in his earlier limited action. As I said, I also don't think he's 6'3". Maybe if you count his hair. So that hurts too.

His offense reminds people of Ennis. He might be a similar defender. A little better than serviceable.

Last edited:
He moved fine. KU did got off better shots up top with Waahington is the game especially Graham but two of those were on Tyus's side. I think Howard Waahington's help and recovery defense is not where it needs to be and maybe that led to the open looks on Tyus's side. His defense will get better when he's used to playing defense with the other guards in games. You need game action to build cohesion and confidence. I will say HW's defense was better than Gillon's was (that's not saying much). To me, HW looked better on defense than he did in his earlier limited action. As I said, I also don't think he's 6'3". Maybe if you count his hair. So that hurts too.

His offense reminds people of Ennis. He might be a similar defender. A little better than serviceable.

I agree. I don’t think it’s an effort or mobility issue. I think it’s largely an experience issue. In terms of anticipation and almost being a step ahead mentally on where to be...like Battle and Howard are now, Rautins was, Triche, etc...he’s not going to be there early in his freshman year. It takes time. Howard didn’t look this good defensively his first two years. And yeah, he looks a bit small - especially compared to Battle and Howard.

I agree, he’ll be better than Gillon up there.

Hmm. Oops. Guess he was ready enough, huh? Guess your close friend JB decided not to play OB or Marek at the top of the zone? I'm sure that scenario would be done in an emergency but it is farcical to think that Howard Washington wasn't going to be the backup guard with Thorpe gone.

I almost did this post late last night but didn’t have the energy to find the posts and quote them. I also thought it would be better coming from you. You did not disappoint.

Hmm. Oops. Guess he was ready enough, huh? Guess your close friend JB decided not to play OB or Marek at the top of the zone? I'm sure that scenario would be done in an emergency but it is farcical to think that Howard Washington wasn't going to be the backup guard with Thorpe gone.

Heights are often exaggerated. Paul Harris and I are the same height (6'2"), but he was listed as 6'5". (We had class together)

Heights are often exaggerated. Paul Harris and I are the same height (6'2"), but he was listed as 6'5". (We had class together)

I'm aware heights are exaggerated. Point is he's on the smaller side for the zone. Three or four inches shorter than Frank Howard and Tyus is a big difference than one or two.

Last edited:
I'm aware heights are exaggerated. Point is he's on the smaller side for the zone. Three or four inches shorter than Frank Howard and Tyus is a big difference than one or two.
Thorpe was exaggerating his height as well. Might be an inch difference between Thorpe and Washington. Wingspan might be another story.

Agreed Howard looked much shorter in person. A skinnier version of Gillion.

Here’s an interesting quote by HW about entering the KU game, considering we were told by someone on the board “very close to JB” that JB had no faith in HW and HW wouldn’t be the third guard. Sounds to me like Washington has been told very clearly he’s the third guard, not that any clear-thinking, logical person should be surprised.

“It was just natural," Washington said. "It wasn't like 'Oh my God, he was scared to put me in' or something. He talks to me all the time. He trusts me."

Why do people say ridiculous things? For attention? Opinions are one thing. Saying a coach and the staff tells you ludicrous things about our players is quite another.

Howard Washington looked 3.14x as composed as Bookworm Assassin, and BA started an entire season in the ACC.
HDub will be a decent 3rd guard in the few minutes he'll get. We just have to pray to the old gods and the new that Battle and Franklin stay healthy all year.

Actually JB and I are also BFFs and he just texted me HW is full of it

He does not trust HW in the slightest (even just on a personal level) and whenever HW tries to talk to him, he acts like he has a phone call and walks away.

I agree. Let the kid play against UCONN and Georgetown and we’ll be better fo it come January.

Where would Thompson play on the defensive end? He was absolutely horrible on defense and played with ZERO effort. He’d be ok at the four on offense, but he was one of the reasons we were a terrible rebounding and defensive team last year. I don’t miss him even a little bit. You can’t win with guys like him. There’s a reason why schools were not knocking the door down to recruit him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom