Gerry | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gerry

Anyone with half a brain knows GMac or Red WOULD be a fresh start.

This is true, but not for the reason you think it is. Those with a full brain have plenty of reason to be skeptical that that an in-house hire to guys that have grown up in-house have the knowledge or desire to change things up.

Last edited:
Both JB and GMac speeches seemed like good byes to me. Wonder how long after ACC elimination we hear one way or another.
this was my thought too. The speech was nice, but nothing unexpected and certainly nothing that would change my expectation for the next head coach.

I am surprised if this swayed people’s opinion on Gerry. We all knew he loved it here.

this was my thought too. The speech was nice, but nothing unexpected and certainly nothing that would change my expectation for the next head coach.

I am surprised if this swayed people’s opinion on Gerry. We all knew he loved it here.

I don't think it swayed anyone's opinion. The people raving about it wanted Gerry from the start. And don't get me wrong, I love Gerry. And while bleeding orange and giving a nice speech are "Nice to Haves" on my coach shopping list, they are not that high up on the list.

Thanks. Hadn’t seen that.

I didn’t hear Hak or GMac mention JB once. Perhaps I missed it.
Hak may have but Gerry definitely didn’t.

The only odd thing about honoring the whole team at halftime was the JB could not be a part of it. Which is why he hopped on the mic at the end of the jersey retirement ceremony to laud them.

That’s a minor nit. All in all it was great. Hard to believe it’s been 20 years…

It's likely that the next guy is cannon fodder for 2 years or so. See the people who replaced Dean Smith at Carolina and at Arizona when Lute retired er was fired. Then - hopefully Gerry can step back in after some successful time as a HC somewhere in the NE.

It's likely that the next guy is cannon fodder for 2 years or so. See the people who replaced Dean Smith at Carolina and at Arizona when Lute retired er was fired. Then - hopefully Gerry can step back in after some successful time as a HC somewhere in the NE.
Long time assistant Bill Guthridge made two Final Fours in his 3 years as head coach following Dean Smith. Sign me up for that.

This is 2023 college basketball.

Different eras. We don’t have to suck.

Hop bled orange and people wanted him to be the next guy…..we all see how things have gone at UW once given the chance. Emotions cannot be used to make this decision.

I think it depends on roster construction heading into those first couple seasons. Fans can turn quickly, or lose patience, and that's not always fair, but if we're coming off a down season (or four, or five) I assume there will be a longer leash. Plus, it's hoops, hit the portal hard, land the right recruit, and you never know. Look at Pitt this season - if the ACC is down, and you get the right guys, you can compete immediately. That's even with the whole Dior fiasco mixed in.

The tribute to Gerry was great and brought back a lot of old happiness and memories that I hadn’t realized I’d forgotten.

That said, the program would be doing a disservice not to do a national search before ultimately going internal if thats what happens.

Syracuse is a top ten brand and needs to protect that.

That sounded like a HC….or someone pitching to be one
I hope that pitch helps him get his first HC gig somewhere else.

The cupboard there was full...

Izzo replaced a legend, worked out at MSU.
Correct Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison aren't walking through that door. No comparison between the program Dean left compared the one JB will leave.

WOW! If fans can’t see why he’s a candidate to be HC and why kids he recruits (win or lose) love him you didn’t see what I just saw.

Dude just bleeds orange and has IT. Always has
This isn’t a high school program. You must do a national search. Do you include Red and/or GMac as a courtesy if you aren’t considering them? Sure. But you can’t just hand it to them.

This isn’t a high school program. You must do a national search. Do you include Red and/or GMac as a courtesy if you aren’t considering them? Sure. But you can’t just hand it to them.
Agree - that’s why I said candidate. People like Sean Miller as an example- fine make a run at him or whoever and see them come back with 5yr 30m ask. I guess we’ll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom