Gerry | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gerry

I’m sorry you feel that way. Wished you thought higher of the school you root for.
It’s a darn shame that someone thinks Providence is a better job than Syracuse. Even Providence fans probably don’t think that.
UCLA can be an argument. But I would still put us above them. I mean they haven’t really been able to pull top coaches before. Steve Alford from New Mexico. Ben Howland from Pitt. Steve Lavin was their assistant. Jim Harrick was at Pepperdine. We have one less sweet 16 and one less final four since 2000. But we have a title since then and they don’t.

So in the context of being a local guy coaching a hometown school and now a program that is fringe top 25 the opportunity and program combined is hard to see how SU is a step up. Don't discount Cooley being home. That alone makes it a better job for him to start.

UCLA hasn’t won a title since 1995. It’s not the John Wooden Bruins anymore. I can’t argue with LA but as far as a basketball school we are far better in my opinion.

Providence basketball? Really come on. They haven’t even been to the final four since 1987 much less a title. And their 12,500 seat stadium compared to ours.

You have really lost a lot of faith in our program. Understandable. But we are still a huge name and a huge school.
Pauley Pavilion is a dump and the fans are fair weather.

So in the context of being a local guy coaching a hometown school and now a program that is fringe top 25 the opportunity and program combined is hard to see how SU is a step up. Don't discount Cooley being home. That alone makes it a better job for him to start.
So in a vacuum I can definitely see your point. It’s makes sense. I get it.

But when we zoom out and look at the whole picture I hope you can see how Syracuse is a better job than Providence.

So in a vacuum I can definitely see your point. It’s makes sense. I get it.

But when we zoom out and look at the whole picture I hope you can see how Syracuse is a better job than Providence.

If you take out the variables of following a legend etc absolutely. I just think those things matter as well given the human element of someone who would take the job. Not to mention across the country many if not most coaches are coaching based on their regional background and preference. Cronin is an interesting case but UCLA is still UCLA and regardless of Pauley- its a better job than Cuse. If Cooley was just a NE guy not a Providence local...

1680112894580.png

D’oh

gerry and red have a combined record of zero HC victories. one or the other should have bolted.

Gmac might just want to stay in Syracuse. He makes great money has job security as long as Red does well and Red will get a minimum of 3 years.

Gmac might just want to stay in Syracuse. He makes great money has job security as long as Red does well and Red will get a minimum of 3 years.
Right? And his stock will be at its highest when/if we start winning big again, so if he does desire to be a HC -this is probably not the best time to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom