Gerry | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gerry

Why should he be head coach? Someone give me a real reason other than he bleeds orange

I hope they do a national search
I too would like to go outside the 2/3 tree, but you have to assume JW has been doing due diligence on all 3 assistants as to what they would bring to the HC seat. He might see something no one else is aware of.

Not sure why Cooley keeps getting thrown out there.
What do you mean? He’s a really good coach. Seems like a great guy who is good at recruiting. Been in the northeast his whole career.

What do you mean? He’s a really good coach. Seems like a great guy who is good at recruiting. Been in the northeast his whole career.
He might be referring to Cooley’s strong ties to Providence and how they make it very unlikely he’d leave. He’s from Providence, and his wife’s high up in the PD. He’s also got the program humming nicely.

That's great.
I like him.
Alot.
Now...
What does his defense look like?
Seriously. His schemes need to be dramatically different than what we see now. If its more of what we have, he can be the best guy ever. Not a fit.
Yes I agree with you here maybe on different points but I'm sure actually we're talking about the same thing because I do not want a Jim Boeheim clone I'm sorry I don't I know he's had his career but I want a piklell type defense. The RU coach.

I mean what the hell I mean don't these guys want their own identity?! just because you coach at Syracuse University basketball does not mean you have to play 2/3 zone!!!!! I mean enough of this s***

By all indications he has zero interest in leaving Providence. He is from Providence.
Mick Cronin is from Cincinnati, attended Cincinnati, and eventually coached there. Had 13 yrs in and was very successful. Why would he leave? UCLA came calling. That’s why.

When Syracuse basketball calls, you answer the phone. I don’t care who you are. You take that conversation with Wildhack.

I mean, if it's good enough to be the football head coach, why not for basketball? I'm in - Let's roll with GMAC.
Excellent proposal.

Albany is about to open. Curious if we see GMac’s name thrown around.
Just curious, did we hear his name mentioned after Will Brown finished?

Mick Cronin is from Cincinnati, attended Cincinnati, and eventually coached there. Had 13 yrs in and was very successful. Why would he leave? UCLA came calling. That’s why.

When Syracuse basketball calls, you answer the phone. I don’t care who you are. You take that conversation with Wildhack.
Syracuse University ain’t UCLA. Syracuse NY ain’t LA. SU basketball (currently) ain’t Providence basketball.

Syracuse University ain’t UCLA. Syracuse NY ain’t LA. SU basketball (currently) ain’t Providence basketball.
UCLA hasn’t won a title since 1995. It’s not the John Wooden Bruins anymore. I can’t argue with LA but as far as a basketball school we are far better in my opinion.

Providence basketball? Really come on. They haven’t even been to the final four since 1987 much less a title. And their 12,500 seat stadium compared to ours.

You have really lost a lot of faith in our program. Understandable. But we are still a huge name and a huge school.

UCLA hasn’t won a title since 1995. It’s not the John Wooden Bruins anymore. I can’t argue with LA but as far as a basketball school we are far better in my opinion.

Providence basketball? Really come on. They haven’t even been to the final four since 1987 much less a title. And their 12,500 seat stadium compared to ours.

You have really lost a lot of faith in our program. Understandable. But we are still a huge name and a huge school.

I will donate $1,000 to a charity of your choice if Cooley leaves Providence for ANY basketball coaching job. He is PC's Boeheim. It has nothing to do with how good a job/program SU may be.

I will donate $1,000 to a charity of your choice if Cooley leaves Providence for ANY basketball coaching job. He is PC's Boeheim. It has nothing to do with how good a job/program SU may be.

Yeah this isn't even a debate. He isn't leaving PC. He also has been all in using the portal to the effect of b2b strong years in which they were ranked a good part of the season.

UCLA TODAY! (#2) PROVIDENCE TODAY!! (#26) SU TODAY!! (Also playing basketball.)
If you have to go into the last century to defend your position, you are already wrong!! Also, you are talking about 2 specific coaches leaving 2 specific programs. Is SU a step up from most programs? Yes! Would it be a step up for those particular coaches at those particular programs? I don’t see it.

Last edited:
UCLA was scoffed at when they hired Cronin, he was choice number 4 I think. The only job I could see him ever leaving for would be Kentucky. He is not coming to Syracuse, never going to happen. This is crazy

UCLA was scoffed at when they hired Cronin, he was choice number 4 I think. The only job I could see him ever leaving for would be Kentucky. He is not coming to Syracuse, never going to happen. This is crazy
Louisville thinks they are getting him lol. They are just as batsht crazy on their board as we are.

UCLA TODAY! (#2) PROVIDENCE TODAY!! (#26) SU TODAY!! (Also playing basketball.)
If you have to go into the last century to defend your position, you are already wrong!! Also, you are talking about 2 specific coaches leaving 2 specific programs. Is SU a step up from most programs? Yes! Would it be a step up for those particular coaches at those particular programs? I don’t see it.
I’m sorry you feel that way. Wished you thought higher of the school you root for.
It’s a darn shame that someone thinks Providence is a better job than Syracuse. Even Providence fans probably don’t think that.
UCLA can be an argument. But I would still put us above them. I mean they haven’t really been able to pull top coaches before. Steve Alford from New Mexico. Ben Howland from Pitt. Steve Lavin was their assistant. Jim Harrick was at Pepperdine. We have one less sweet 16 and one less final four since 2000. But we have a title since then and they don’t.

Cronin wasn’t UCLA’s first choice. He wasn’t their second choice either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom