Gmac | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

Don't think Gerry was on the trail a ton until the past 2 years when Hop started to take a backseat.

I will say there is a negative if Gerry were to leave. These relationships he is starting to build could benefit another program where he is hired.

All I am asking is we start offering more guys earlier so we aren't scrambling for scraps late.
So he needs to produce this cycle or criticism is warranted?

I think Gerry will sign guys. I am not worried about him. It isn't like Red was out there this cycle signing a bunch of top 100 guys which tells me something else.

I am worried about our 72 year old coach and his ability to keep this program elite. It's a good thing his son appears to be an elite shooter.

Again who of the other coaches lands any of those three given the circumstances. I have said a bunch of time we should have moved on from Green but that was not Gerry's decision or Hop's so it seems. Answer the question are you blaming Gerry for losing any of those three recruits?
To quote Top Gun "there are no points for second place"
So he gets blame for Randolph and Green.

He wasn't leading on Tucker now that was JB.
JB lost to the Duke offer.

Criticism can always be warranted IMO and its often healthy. That said again which specific recruits are you criticizing Gerry for? That is the question. I'm all for questioning, figuring out what went wrong and correcting but I also try to see the big picture before placing the blame on a single person and then using that to gauge their overall abilities. NO ONE on the staff has lost out on more recruits than JB. Everyone loses out on recruits even UK and Duke which is a big reason we don't have Green and Tucker.

To quote Top Gun "there are no points for second place"
So he gets blame for Randolph and Green.

He wasn't leading on Tucker now that was JB.
JB lost to the Duke offer.

So you are blaming Gerry for what "happened" on Randolf's recruiting trip and for Cal and WWW dropping an 11th hour bag on Quade? That's fine then tell me which of our other coaches would have landed those kids?

Criticism can always be warranted IMO and its often healthy. That said again which specific recruits are you criticizing Gerry for? That is the question. I'm all for questioning, figuring out what went wrong and correcting but I also try to see the big picture before placing the blame on a single person and then using that to gauge their overall abilities. NO ONE on the staff has lost out on more recruits than JB. Everyone loses out on recruits even UK and Duke which is a big reason we don't have Green and Tucker.
We were never top tier in recruiting; problem is the next tier that we're in has grown by 20+ schools...

First: I don't think you are wrong about this, because while I understand developing the new guy, there was also the fact that we did need to close on Green in particular (N-G). The decision to have Gerry lead this may have stemmed from the idea that it wasn't going to be a brutal recruitment against a powerhouse. We had no idea we'd be going up against Kentucky when it all started and I think the premise was that Green was a strong SU lean at the beginning. Add to that the fact that Hopkins was going to be unavailable due to US Basketball commitments all summer and I can see why Gerry got the call there. In hindsight, it may or may not have been a poor decision because there is not promise that Hop would have beat out Calipari either. I think what Hop might have been able to do was to get the commitment before Calipari even got his hooks into Green. We'll never know.

So then the question becomes: how smart was it for JB to invest both his own time and Hopkins' time into USA Basketball? Again in hindsight, it hurt the SU program in the short term because of their absence during crucial times. I'm sure the rationale was that it would substantively aid Hopkin's in two ways: street cred for recruiting and future coaching abilities. This was a great developmental opportunity for our future head coach. In that light, it was a good move, but since he left, clearly we got no benefit from it.

As to internal strife: I agree there must have been something very off about the Hopkins/Boeheim relationship or vision for the future. Hopkins leaving the way he did cannot be interpreted any other way. It was a very badly botched exercise in many ways. That, and not recruiting strategy, is the biggest flub that has happened in my opinion.

You know what rolls downhill and Gmac is getting avalanched because of many circumstances beyond his control

We will never beat out Kentucky or Duke (and probably a few other schools). This program has maintained their excellence by having a good eye for talent and then developing it (and in some cases, holding on to it). Whoever we sign at whatever ranking, we need to see more improvement during their time here too.

We will never beat out Kentucky or Duke (and probably a few other schools). This program has maintained their excellence by having a good eye for talent and then developing it (and in some cases, holding on to it). Whoever we sign at whatever ranking, we need to see more improvement during their time here too.

And in most cycles we wouldn't be competing with them for Green and Tucker. :noidea:

Are we not in the the ACC? Why shouldn't we be able recruit we top tier programs.? Meanwhile Duke gets Tucker and Duval.
Do remember a time when we're we would have won these recruiting battles. We need to get back in the game if we want to be relevant

Last edited:
Calling GMac an employee is why some don't give him heat in his performance.

Hopkins had the great relationship with Neumann-Goretti HC and is on the staff and you give the keys to newer coach? JB and Hop something doesn't smell right there just based on this.

I don't care GMac got a silent verbal. Michigan got a verbal from Tyus Battle.

GMac needs a legit win on a priority recruit.
Sounds like Hop did not want Quade and probably voiced it (as stated earlier). If JAB wanted Quade, then who do you assign responsibilities to: the person who has the best relationship with the HS coach and said he didn't think the the player was who he wanted or the newer guy in the long run who would benefit by developing relationships with the high school coach.

I think Gerry will sign guys. I am not worried about him. It isn't like Red was out there this cycle signing a bunch of top 100 guys which tells me something else.

I am worried about our 72 year old coach and his ability to keep this program elite. It's a good thing his son appears to be an elite shooter.

Boeheim has to be at the top of the list of reasons for the recruiting misses. The Final 4 people conveniently forget it when it comes to recruiting. We were coming off of a Final 4, we had a ton of playing time available, we were recruiting kids in our backyard, a bunch of them from AAU programs and high schools where we've had a ton of success in the past, and we couldn't close on any of them.

You can chalk it up to Boeheim delegating too much, to Boeheim delegating too much to GMac, to a rift between Boeheim and Hop, to bad apples already on the roster stirring stuff up, to USA basketball, to UK and Duke, etc...it's probably all of that in different measures and it all comes back to Boeheim. He really needs to deliver on and off the court this year or this program is sunk for at least the short term.

Moyer.

Do you think that JB, Hop or Red would have landed us Green, Randolf or Tucker? That is the real question. Lets cut the BS since you want to play the blame game. Which one of our other coaches lands any of those three players?
Other than Randolf i think that we would have landed Green and Tucker

Tucker said he had already picked us over GT, and then the offer from Duke arrived. Green has alluded to the same.
When we let the drama play out for months or years instead of closing the deal by using leverage, this is what happens.

We have multiple starting spots open with little to no competition and we can't lure top 100 talent to fill it. If you don't think that something's wrong, you've got your head in the sand.

JB was expecting Hop to take the reigns so he allowed him to handle the recruiting for his first team.
I believe Francis said Hop wasn't allowed to go after certain players. If true, it sounds like JB was half-in half-out and that probably rubbed off on Hop the minute he knew JB wasn't going quietly into the night.

FYI...Hop was advocating that we pass on Green months before we got snubbed. He had a feeling it was going south.
Oh my word. This is like a painful Shakespearean tragedy.

Hop or Red

Can you name a specific player they signed against Duke or UK when Syracuse was one of the final 2 choices?

Do you not think JB deserves any blame here?

Can you name a specific player they signed against Duke or UK when Syracuse was one of the final 2 choices?

Do you not think JB deserves any blame here?
I think that JB deserves all of the blame. 1 for not working. 2 for getting in Hops way and 3 for putting a child in charge of our most important recruits. Its not gmacs fault that he isnt ready for prime tine which he obviously isnt. Its JBs fault for putting him in that position.

He was also the lead recruiter for Brandon Randolph and he was set to come here until things out of Gmac's hands happened on the visit to sway him otherwise.
I know this is going to sound like a teenage school girl, but OMG if you're saying what I think you're saying. I knew there was sabotage but to a top 10 recruit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom