Gmac | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ludicrous and I absolutely can not understand why people feel they have to do this. Do they not realize what Gmac has given us over the years?? The national title, the BE tournament run in 2006 when he was playing hurt. He's given us SO much! He'll always have my unwavering support. I hope he gets his shot and does very well.

We now have 3 threads with people taking shots at him. And JBs here for 4 more years supposedly. A lot can happen in 4 years and things can change. They act like gmac is taking over tomorrow.

Yeah all I have said is I don’t want G-Mac as the next HC with him not moving on first with HC experience.
His recruiting to me has been good enough now.
If he wants the SU job he should get a HC job before. Siena is perfect for him. He could win there. That is what you want in a mid-major job as your first job.

What’s your take on Duke? If they hire Collins or Capel or another alum assistant, would you feel the same way about that? Or is it different because they’ve coached at power 5 schools?

I would say duke could do so much better then an assistant coach. They could hire almost anybody from anywhere. To limit themselves to their assistant would be crazy.

Like I said I’m not being mean to Gerry or knock him and I said I don’t follow his career enough to really know. I would hope that Syracuse isn’t having him go to Siena and get HC experience then taking him back. If we ever hired the Siena HC that didn’t have ties to cuse the board would melt down.

It's ludicrous and I absolutely can not understand why people feel they have to do this. Do they not realize what Gmac has given us over the years?? The national title, the BE tournament run in 2006 when he was playing hurt. He's given us SO much! He'll always have my unwavering support. I hope he gets his shot and does very well.
I get that he has your support and you are giving him the benefit of the doubt but What does what he did as a player have to do with him being a head coach? The two are mutually exclusive.

I would say duke could do so much better then an assistant coach. They could hire almost anybody from anywhere. To limit themselves to their assistant would be crazy.

Like I said I’m not being mean to Gerry or knock him and I said I don’t follow his career enough to really know. I would hope that Syracuse isn’t having him go to Siena and get HC experience then taking him back. If we ever hired the Siena HC that didn’t have ties to cuse the board would melt down.
I could live with GMac post-JB if he did well at Siena or that type program.
The Siena coach thing wouldn’t bother me. I just want a guy who can coach. We have no clue how he would be as a HC if he had success at Siena then that is good enough.

Yeah I'm all for the "keep it in the family" stuff if JB is here and he wants 'Cuse guys for his assistants.

But once JB leaves, it has to be a nationwide search. UConn just handed the program to Ollie (who did win a title with Calhoun's roster) and look where they are now.
Our “handoff” would’ve been to hopkins. Find me a better young coach in the country.

Or they aren't.
They are 100%. If he gets a HC job and is terrible...the narrative cannot be well he won us the BE tourney 15 yrs ago so it is a wash and he can still be cuse HC

Again I hope he has success doing whatever he is going to do. If he has success recruiting over the next couple of years it will
Be great for the program. Im not knocking anybody.

No, Red recruited Oshae as well as Frank, Marek, Elijah, Jalen and now Bryce.
GMAC recruited Moyer, Sidibe and the guard for 19

GMAC and Red are both recruiting numerous players for the future.

Thanks.

Still Gmac got Sidibe and Goodine. both great gets.

Gerry’s recruiting has really picked up as of late. He lead with Sidibe, got us Goodine, and is the reason there’s a Quade transfer thread. He’s also the main guy on all these 2019 prospects.

He is not the main on guy on all 2019 recruits, he is on several but not Whitney, Quincy, Bol Ajak, Wahab and a few others
Gmac is on Stewart, Joe G, Akok Akok
JB would be the only one working Khalif Battle, but i doubt that is in play

No, Red recruited Oshae as well as Frank, Marek, Elijah, Jalen and now Bryce.
GMAC recruited Moyer, Sidibe and the guard for 19

GMAC and Red are both recruiting numerous players for the future.

Gmac got Goodine who’s going to be great.

I don't understand this thread. I think every Assistant you hire should want to be a Head Coach, and that should be part of what they are doing as an Assistant, learning from the HC, every aspect of the game.

I think if their desire is to be a lifetime Assistant, then they aren't pushing themselves to learn more about the game and become better at their job. Now having said that, some will ultimately see that they do not have the make-up to be a HC, and may opt for a stable situation, but that shouldn't happen in the first 5-10 yrs as a coach.

I would be very surprised if, given the right situation, all of Syracuse's assistants wouldn't take a HC gig right now. I like each one of the coaches, and I think they all bring quite a bit to the table.

But I don't understand why Red doesn't get more love from the fanbase. He has much more experience, and an existing recruiting pipeline. I'm very surprised that his name doesn't come up more often in HC openings for a lower level program. Something just doesn't fit. I wonder what that is?

I don't understand this thread. I think every Assistant you hire should want to be a Head Coach, and that should be part of what they are doing as an Assistant, learning from the HC, every aspect of the game.

I think if their desire is to be a lifetime Assistant, then they aren't pushing themselves to learn more about the game and become better at their job. Now having said that, some will ultimately see that they do not have the make-up to be a HC, and may opt for a stable situation, but that shouldn't happen in the first 5-10 yrs as a coach.

I would be very surprised if, given the right situation, all of Syracuse's assistants wouldn't take a HC gig right now. I like each one of the coaches, and I think they all bring quite a bit to the table.

But I don't understand why Red doesn't get more love from the fanbase. He has much more experience, and an existing recruiting pipeline. I'm very surprised that his name doesn't come up more often in HC openings for a lower level program. Something just doesn't fit. I wonder what that is?
If it’s a current assistant to replace JB give me Red ALL DAY long.
I trust him more than any of the 3 assistants.

I get that he has your support and you are giving him the benefit of the doubt but What does what he did as a player have to do with him being a head coach? The two are mutually exclusive.

Yes, I get that. But this thread is an indirect shot at getting him out of Cuse because of what people perceive over recruiting, no matter how it's spun. I'm just simply pointing out that some are a little ungrateful for what he has given this program both as a player and as a coach to be hoping he leaves because of the dumb narrative that he can't recruit.

Gerry’s recruiting has really picked up as of late. He lead with Sidibe, got us Goodine, and is the reason there’s a Quade transfer thread. He’s also the main guy on all these 2019 prospects.
Goodine and Sidibe are solid pickups but he hasn’t been the lead on any of our bigger fish that we landed in the time he’s been here. There are hundreds of assistants with a similar resume. His coaching resume needs to stand out if we want to get serious about considering him as the heir. Right now nothing about it stands out. I think people just get irritated when some have anointed him as HCIW. He has a lot of things to prove in 4 years before we can take him seriously.

Goodine and Sidibe are solid pickups but he hasn’t been the lead on any of our bigger fish that we landed in the time he’s been here. There are hundreds of assistants with a similar resume. His coaching resume needs to stand out if we want to get serious about considering him as the heir. Right now nothing about it stands out. I think people just get irritated when some have anointed him as HCIW. He has a lot of things to prove in 4 years before we can take him seriously.

Goodine shoots 50%from 3 and 90 percent from the line. He’s going to be a top 50 player.

The only reason we have a possible chance with Quade to come here is because Gerry did the original leg work.

When has Autry beat out UK or Duke?

I can’t take your posts seriously after you said Luke Maye wasn’t very good on the recruiting board when I compared him to Golden.

Not ludicrous at all.
The program deserves a national search. If GMac is part of it fine. But to anoint someone just because he was a popular player who hasn't done anything to upset people is what is ludicrous.

Not ludicrous at all.
The program deserves a national search. If GMac is part of it fine. But to anoint someone just because he was a popular player who hasn't done anything to upset people is what is ludicrous.

Agree 100%. I would think that would be a given re: national search and such. I don’t know who started this GMac campaign as the next head coach here but it’s lunacy that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom