gonna be tough to make the tourny | Syracusefan.com

gonna be tough to make the tourny

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Just dont have the size or depth to win many of these acc games. I think we're gonna see alot of games like tonite, we'll hang around for awhile but just get worn down.

Blew a huge opportunity tonite, conference road wins are golden and this was there for us to take.

Yeah. It sucks because we have some talented players who are fun to watch, but our main weakness is just so ridiculously weak that it cancels out most of the good things this team does

Counting the days until we get to see Chukwu at the 5

Very mediocre team despite clearly having some guys that ooze potential. Next year will hopefully be a different story, but losing to St John's was very telling.

doc05 said:
Very mediocre team despite clearly having some guys that ooze potential. Next year will hopefully be a different story, but losing to St John's was very telling.

I'm not sure next year is any better. You're losing your senior backcourt and replacing them with a freshman and likely a sophomore in Malachi who really isn't a good defender. Front court gets better, but games are won with good back courts.

Tough pill to swallow with one of the top 5 guards in CBB, a senior guard along with him and 2 top flight freshmen but yup, I'll be surprised if we make the tourney. Hope I'm wrong but this team looks really mediocre due to our lack of size.

I hear what people are saying, and tonight (and Wisc/SJU) was tough but who didn't have this penciled in as a loss? I mean, we just rarely beat Pitt. And there actually aren't many teams with the size/physicality of Pitt in the acc.
yes it will take some doing to make the tourney, but it's not like tonight's game changes anything or proves anything

I'm not sure next year is any better. You're losing your senior backcourt and replacing them with a freshman and likely a sophomore in Malachi who really isn't a good defender. Front court gets better, but games are won with good back courts.
We stll won't have a point guard next year.

Clearly they're not though...

hoopsupstate said:
We stll won't have a point guard next year.

That'll be 3 straight years without a true PG.

It could also be 3 straight years without a tourney invite.

longislandcuse said:
Clearly they're not though...

The problem is our big men are barely average. If we had one standout front court player, we'd be a different team.

Sadly we have the guards to be a really good team, we really can't catch a break these days.

Briancuse said:
Sadly we have the guards to be a really good team, we really can't catch a break these days.

Our backcourt is solid, tournament worthy, but combined with an average to below average front court, this is who we are. Flawed.

We're going to need to have Roberson play like this every night, Coleman play like he did against Texas Southern and Lydon play like he did in the Bahamas.

pearl31 said:
if you don't think next year's team will make the tourney... well, you'd just be wrong

I'm not convinced.

It's going to depend on how the backcourt plays. It'll be young and inexperienced. Battle has never played the zone, Malachi will be moving to the 2 and learning a new position and more will be asked of Howard/Joseph.

You're overlooking how hard it is to replace a senior backcourt.

Next year is a tourney team without question. Our front court should really be dominate and we will have a back court with enough talent and experience. Mali is proving to be a more complete player than we thought.

I'm not convinced.

It's going to depend on how the backcourt plays. It'll be young and inexperienced. Battle has never played the zone, Malachi will be moving to the 2 and learning a new position and more will be asked of Howard/Joseph.

You're overlooking how hard it is to replace a senior backcourt.
Battle is a transcendent sort of talent. Richardson and Howard will be a year older, wiser and better. Our backcourt will be good.

It is ridiculous to think we could maintain 30+ win seasons forever. The mark of a good program is how few the down years are. We will be back next year, too much talent, too much size.

pearl31 said:
Battle is a transcendent sort of talent. Richardson and Howard will be a year older, wiser and better. Our backcourt will be good.

Call me cautiously optimistic.

Battle is replacing Gbinije, likely a first or second team all ACC player.

Battle doesn't play PG in high school, but he'll likely get the chance to play it next year. Big leap.

If he can't cut it, Howard is your PG.

I just see next year's team as addition by subtraction.

Might take them some time to gel with a young backcourt.

And I don't think that's unjustified.

[QUOTE="cuseguy, post: 1608989, member: 524"

And I don't think that's unjustified.[/QUOTE]
oh I think it's completely justified to say it could take some time to gel and that there will be some growing pains. I'm just confident that there is so much size and talent that it would be very hard for that team not to make the tourney. I think it could very well be JB's most stifling 2-3 ever, even if things aren't clicking that well offensively.

Call me cautiously optimistic.

Battle is replacing Gbinije, likely a first or second team all ACC player.

Battle doesn't play PG in high school, but he'll likely get the chance to play it next year. Big leap.

If he can't cut it, Howard is your PG.

I just see next year's team as addition by subtraction.

And I don't think that's unjustified.
Definitely a fair point of view. The difference is we will be dominant down low next year. We will have 5+ guys to plug in and anchored by 7'2. Not many teams in the country will have that. We don't need Battle to be G, we just need him to be solid. I also think the leap from year 1 and 2 by Howard and MR are being underestimated. Like I said, you may not be wrong but I think next years team just has a lot more to offer than this squad.

pearl31 said:
[QUOTE="cuseguy, post: 1608989, member: 524" Might take them some time to gel with a young backcourt. And I don't think that's unjustified.
oh I think it's completely justified to say it could take some time to gel and that there will be some growing pains. I'm just confident that there is so much size and talent that it would be very hard for that team not to make the tourney. I think it could very well be JB's most stifling 2-3 ever, even if things aren't clicking that well offensively.[/QUOTE]

Moyer is going to make things interesting at small forward.

It's a piece that will make us better.

oh I think it's completely justified to say it could take some time to gel and that there will be some growing pains. I'm just confident that there is so much size and talent that it would be very hard for that team not to make the tourney. I think it could very well be JB's most stifling 2-3 ever, even if things aren't clicking that well offensively.

Moyer is going to make things interesting at small forward.

It's a piece that will make us better.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming Lydon is going to be playing a lot of minutes at the 3, if he does, how many does Moyer get at the 3?

Lydon should be a huge soph talent too And i love JBs quotes on Paschal:

"Paschal (Chukwu) will be one of the premier shot blockers in college basketball."

And his more recent quotes on his mobility, athleticism and work ethic are even more encouraging...cant find them now maybe someone has them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom