Guess we’re not the only ones anymore | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Guess we’re not the only ones anymore

Yeah and for Bazley it really crushed him not coming to SU. Set to make $17.5 million the next over next 5 seasons. Man what a horrible decision to make the SU fans mad and what a mistake on his part... so apparent he needed to play ball here

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think your post is a strawman. I thought that most of the comments centered around honoring one's commitments (albeit a more principled, yet even more ridiculous notion).

we werent the only ones, heck we werent the first ones. Brandon Jennings/Ariz comes to mind - the thing with Bazley was that he did it to play in the G league and then to intern at New Balance.

Emmanuel Mudiay and SMU!!! That was a huge get for them. And Arizona had Terrence Ferguson too!!
in a version of moqui's ideal world, every top player would go into a pro league somewhere in the world at some level and be paid commensurate with their talent (and for me the top includes 100 or more give or take every year)

there would be plenty of players left over for college ball, true amateurs playing for the value of a scholarship & occasionally love for their school, with an outside chance of developing into a pro player

division 1 high majors would have something like the equivalent of mid major talent
mid majors would have low major talent
low majors would have d2 talent, and so on

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think your post is a strawman. I thought that most of the comments centered around honoring one's commitments (albeit a more principled, yet even more ridiculous notion).
If most, barely.

It’s funny to me that a person is going to do something professionally, but the news has the words “according to his mother” attached to it.

1586983964956.png

I don’t think I will see SU basketball next year and it would not surprise me not to see JB again

At least we can now say Bazely isn’t the only one to do this to the team he committed to:
Add Jalen Green to the list. Screw the NBA. Screw the NCAA. CBB is so damaged and Cuse is being caught in the middle. Damned if we do. Damned if we don't.
As per Twitter:
Ahead of a 1pm eastern formal announcement, Jalen Green has started to inform college suitors that he plans to enter the NBA/G League's professional pathway program, sources tell ESPN. He is ESPN's #1 prospect in the 2020 high school class.

Last edited:
Add Jalen Green to the list. Screw the NBA. Screw the NCAA. CBB is so damaged and Cuse is being caught in the middle. Damned if we do. Damned if we don't.
As per Twitter:
Ahead of a 1pm eastern formal announcement, Jalen Green has started to inform college suitors that he plans to enter the NBA/G League's professional pathway program, sources tell ESPN. He is ESPN's #1 prospect in the 2020 high school class.
The NCAA has to force the NBA's hand. Let the really good kids go to the NBA. If you choose college, you're here for three years. If you want to leave early, fine, but you're on the hook for the full cost of your education, room and board.

How is there going to be a gleague then?

You can put all G-League players at 3 or 4 neutral sites and play all the games at those locations.
You can't really do the same for college basketball.

The NCAA has to force the NBA's hand. Let the really good kids go to the NBA. If you choose college, you're here for three years. If you want to leave early, fine, but you're on the hook for the full cost of your education, room and board.
I'd be happy with a 2 year minimum.

I haven't seen one jump shot in the Jalen Green videos I've come across. Get the bag now, but there are going to be plenty of guys who are competing for that same spot who were good to great college players.

As per Twitter:
The G League program will pay elite prospects 500K. Why would any of them go to college. Here is Woj's tweet:
Reporting w/ @Draftexpress: Jalen Green is making the leap to a reshaped NBA professional pathway program, a G-League initiative that’ll pay elite prospects $500K-plus and provide a one-year development program outside of minor-league’s traditional team structure. Story soon.

The G League program will pay elite prospects 500K. Why would any of them go to college. Here is Woj's tweet:
Reporting w/ @Draftexpress: Jalen Green is making the leap to a reshaped NBA professional pathway program, a G-League initiative that’ll pay elite prospects $500K-plus and provide a one-year development program outside of minor-league’s traditional team structure. Story soon.

OK, so WHO is paying that $$??

And WHAT do they get from it?

Is a random team gonna throw that $ at a kid, and then have some sort of "in" re:
his draft rights??

OK, so WHO is paying that $$??

And WHAT do they get from it?

Is a random team gonna throw that $ at a kid, and then have some sort of "in" re:
his draft rights??

I think the NBA is basically sponsoring the league, no? So they would be paying for it. Plus the endorsements come from the companies.

Could they even enforce that? Would it seem fair that a school can pull a scholarship from you at any time but if you commit you're on the hook for 3 years?

His commitment was that if he were to go to college and play basketball, he would that at SU, and SU would cover his costs, plus a stipend.
Signing the LOI did not preclude him from pursuing other avenues.

If you take the top 20-50 kids out of the ncaa system how does that really change things for SU?

They cant all go to the G-League every yr some will be there a few yrs

For JB its better if that happens.. It makes coaching a bigger deal and he is right on the edge with far less talent, some of these elite coaches would have fits if they didnt have the elite guys to live off.

If you take the top 20-50 kids out of the ncaa system how does that really change things for SU?

For JB its better if that happens.. It makes coaching a bigger deal and he is right on the edge with far less talent, some of these elite coaches would have fits if they didnt have the elite guys to live off.

It doesn't and people saying this is the death of the NCAA never watched to begin with. There are a handful of elite players in a class. Everyone else will have to go to college. It's just like baseball. You have some that are good enough to bypass the collegiate level while 99% will play three years because they aren't good enough yet to make the leap.

I wouldn't be certain every kid succeeds in the G league. There's men in that league that are going to want to put it to some of those kids. It will weed out the busts a bit easier for the GM's.

I wouldn't be certain every kid succeeds in the G league. There's men in that league that are going to want to put it to some of those kids. It will weed out the busts a bit easier for the GM's.

Small investment that can be written off.

I was thinking more like 10 kids. 20 kids max. So now the UK, the KU, the Duke's will be going after the 4 stars and not all the 5 stars. Will kids even committ until the Spring? It throws a huge monkey wrench into the works.

I think the NBA is basically sponsoring the league, no? So they would be paying for it. Plus the endorsements come from the companies.

Could they even enforce that? Would it seem fair that a school can pull a scholarship from you at any time but if you commit you're on the hook for 3 years?
Schools would enforce it in the form of a contract. I think the service academies do something similar if you choose not to serve your bit.

on the bench or not, jb is going to hover over the program for decades

I wonder. When the kids are out of school, I bet Julie is going to stuff him in a suitcase and take him down south.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom