Guess we’re not the only ones anymore | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Guess we’re not the only ones anymore

Schools would enforce it in the form of a contract. I think the service academies do something similar if you choose not to serve your bit.

But like, if you are on academic scholarship to a school, and you leave school for whatever reason, you don't owe them the scholarship money. (right? Guess who didn't get an academic scholarship for college)

It seems very draconian to me.

But like, if you are on academic scholarship to a school, and you leave school for whatever reason, you don't owe them the scholarship money. (right? Guess who didn't get an academic scholarship for college)

It seems very draconian to me.
That’s my whole point. The draconier the better

I was thinking more like 10 kids. 20 kids max. So now the UK, the KU, the Duke's will be going after the 4 stars and not all the 5 stars. Will kids even committ until the Spring? It throws a huge monkey wrench into the works.
I don't know - I tend to think everyone involved will adapt, the system will continue to evolve, and things won't change that much for the majority of programs or players.

That’s my whole point. The draconier the better

It would just drive kids away from college. Even now some top players won't sign a NLI. Only scholarship papers. Only the ones who have no ability to go pro would sign a contract.

BTW - love your word draconier :)

I get this from the kids perspective but why would the nba want this? Before they had a system where they paid nothing and had time to evaluate kids before investing in them. That was the reason for the one and done to stop kids who were getting bad advice from hurting their future and not have nba teams make bad investments

I don't know - I tend to think everyone involved will adapt, the system will continue to evolve, and things won't change that much for the majority of programs or players.
No ones knows but one thing we do know is that CBB is getting drained of 5 star talent. Pretty soon they will have the regular NBA draft and then a special G league draft. More top players under the NBA umbrella.

I get this from the kids perspective but why would the nba want this? Before they had a system where they paid nothing and had time to evaluate kids before investing in them. That was the reason for the one and done to stop kids who were getting bad advice from hurting their future and not have nba teams make bad investments
Maybe it’s a way to try to get more eyeballs on the G-League?

also it’s not totally crazy to think that the NBA would want their best future assets to get a year of development the way they say fit instead of playing for Will Wade and have NCAA limitations telling them how much they’re allowed to practice

yeah choice is good and better for all...a necessity.

My issue is that there should be one "choice-point", if you will.

You either pick pro or amateur...and then you are LOCKED IN.

That's what I want. and I would say...it should min 3 years.

These players making 3 or 4 different choices about what they are doing is screwy, imo.

You wanna be pro...and your mom agrees? cool. But you get one chance to decide.

Agree totally.

I feel they will do it anyways, because its the easiest way to assign/track the rights for players trying to go direct to the G-League or oversees. Players enter the draft, teams draft them and then decide to put them on their NBA team or their G-League team or let them play elsewear and still retain the draft rights.

Just like before, the owners are their own worst enemy. They can't resist.

I wouldn't be certain every kid succeeds in the G league. There's men in that league that are going to want to put it to some of those kids. It will weed out the busts a bit easier for the GM's.

I mentioned this in the Dior thread already, but clearing up a couple things:
  1. These kids aren't actually playing in the GLeague. They're training for the NBA in a program that falls under the GLeague umbrella. They'll have some scrimmages against GLeague teams, international teams, etc. but they aren't playing in competitive GLeague games.
  2. The NBA is doing this to try to prevent kids from going to Australia, China, etc. Keeping kids in LA instead of literally as far away from the U.S. as physically possible makes things a lot easier on their scouts. Plus they'll likely have far greater access to the kids as part of the GLeague program than they had with overseas teams. They decide how these kids get trained rather than being trained in Euro-style for example. If it happens to inspire NCAA to start allowing kids to make money and therefore make college a more attractive option than overseas, even better.

also it’s not totally crazy to think that the NBA would want their best future assets to get a year of development the way they say fit instead of playing for Will Wade and have NCAA limitations telling them how much they’re allowed to practice

Yes I think this is it. They think the G league is a better way to prepare (at least for the elite talents) than NCAA.

Plus the stuff Melancer said. He did a better job than I did. And clearly knows more about this than me

1. These kids aren't actually playing in the GLeague. They're training for the NBA in a program that falls under the GLeague umbrella. They'll have some scrimmages against GLeague teams, international teams, etc. but they aren't playing in competitive GLeague games.
  2. The NBA is doing this to try to prevent kids from going to Australia, China, etc. Keeping kids in LA instead of literally as far away from the U.S. as physically possible makes things a lot easier on their scouts. Plus they'll likely have far greater access to the kids as part of the GLeague program than they had with overseas teams. They decide how these kids get trained rather than being trained in Euro-style for example. If it happens to inspire NCAA to start allowing kids to make money and therefore make college a more attractive option than overseas, even better.
Efffff the NBA

There is growing concern that there will not be college hoops this year. Kids who can, will opt for this direction. I expect more will forego this season.

The big question is what about their eligibility

OK, so WHO is paying that $$??

And WHAT do they get from it?

Is a random team gonna throw that $ at a kid, and then have some sort of "in" re:
his draft rights??

The NBA will pay for it, to make their G-League TV content more valuable. Bigger prospects = Better ratings, and the value you get from providing TV Content is still high.
Many people watch college only to watch elite prospects if you go on NBA Boards.

Efffff the NBA

The NCAA has an archaic model that they are unwilling to change. You should be blaming them
There has been some pushback from players rightly so. And the NBA finally responded to it by starting to improve their development system.

The NBA has been the first to budge to give them something -- This was all very predictable a few years ago when the NBA started to talk about making changes. They don't get hindered by the charade the NCAA continues to insist to play.

Last edited:
The NCAA has an archaic model that they are unwilling to change. You should be blaming them
There has been some pushback from players rightly so. And the NBA finally responded to it by starting to improve their development system.

The NBA has been the first to budge to give them something -- This was all very predictable a few years ago when the NBA started to talk about making changes. They don't get hindered by the charade the NCAA continues to insist to play.
Why doesn't the nba get rid of the one and done? That isn't the NCAA problem. They created this situation. The idea of the g league having television value I find comical

I don't know why they wouldn't have them play in games. Seems kind of stupid to me, but whatever.

Exactly - the NBA pounced when they could win the PR battle. For years they knew they'd lose the optics of preventing Little Joey from getting an education and the college experience. They waited until the NCAA revealed itself as a self-serving cesspool, and upped the ante recognizing they could build a better development league than the college coaches.

The NBA will pay for it, to make their G-League TV content more valuable. Bigger prospects = Better ratings, and the value you get from providing TV Content is still high.
Many people watch college only to watch elite prospects if you go on NBA Boards.
If the NBA is willing to back the WNBA they won't have a problem funding this.

I hate this argument. The NFL is fine using the NCAA as their minor leagues. Now the nba is telling us they will promote the G league, whether or not it undercuts the one sport I actually give a crap about.

So again I say, effffffff the NBA.

I don't know why they wouldn't have them play in games. Seems kind of stupid to me, but whatever.

It's all about appealing to the high schoolers.
  1. Nobody wants to do the traveling that they do in the GLeague. It's basically all the bad parts about traveling as a pro and none of the good. Living in LA for a year >>> living out of hotels in Canton, Grand Rapids, Sioux Falls, etc.
  2. I think part of the reason that Bazley ultimately bailed on the program is because he/his agent realized that he wasn't physically ready to play against 25-30 year olds yet and needed the year to continue developing his body to prepare for that jump in competition. Going from high school to college is already a big jump; going from high school to the pros is something that pretty much only super special prospects are capable of.
I think this new concept will appeal to prospects far more than simply playing in the GLeague did. Not to mention just putting them all on one "team" will make it a lot easier for them to show them off than having one exciting prospect on a handful of teams.

It's all about appealing to the high schoolers.
  1. Nobody wants to do the traveling that they do in the GLeague. It's basically all the bad parts about traveling as a pro and none of the good. Living in LA for a year >>> living out of hotels in Canton, Grand Rapids, Sioux Falls, etc.
  2. I think part of the reason that Bazley ultimately bailed on the program is because he/his agent realized that he wasn't physically ready to play against 25-30 year olds yet and needed the year to continue developing his body to prepare for that jump in competition. Going from high school to college is already a big jump; going from high school to the pros is something that pretty much only super special prospects are capable of.
I think this new concept will appeal to prospects far more than simply playing in the GLeague did. Not to mention just putting them all on one "team" will make it a lot easier for them to show them off than having one exciting prospect on a handful of teams.

I get it, but kids were playing in the NBL/China and they don't want to stay in Canton? It's a way to attract kids without them the kids having to worry about falling on their faces. It's really not a true minor league then and it's not going to increase G league viewership.

Last edited:
I get it, but kids were playing in the NBL/China and they don't want to stay in Canton. It's a way to attract kids without them the kids having to worry about falling on their faces. It's really not a true minor league then and it's not going to increase G league viewership.

Yeah I don't think the NBA really expects (do they??) to substantially increase G league viewership.

Its an interesting give and take for the NBA; I do think in general it's probably better for the development of the elite HS players for them to be in something like this, but on the other side, it's better for the development of them as stars, for lack of a better term, for them to have a year or two in college to build their name. You look at Zion, for instance, the guy became a mega star before he set foot in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom