Hate to say but SU is a solid NIT team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hate to say but SU is a solid NIT team

I'm not defensive about anything. I think we're a bad team. Call out somebody else's opinions.

I thought we looked pretty darn good in the first half. We just can't close games right now. That will come with experience. This team has some serious flaws, but so does 95% of the rest of teams in college basketball. Can't be a top 10 team every year.

That's my opinion.

I'm not making excuses for today...horrible second half. My point is you can't say this team is bad just because they don't win by 20.

You don't have to win by 20, but when your playing a bad team like tech is, and you have a 22 point lead, you should not be sweating out a last second 3 at the buzzer.

nklnklnklnklnklnklnklnklnkl
Margin of victory is the most overrated stat in sports.
Actuallly it' s not. Couple that we aren't build to beat a good team in a close game. Every good team will have a better pt guard than we do.

Didn't respond well to the 3/4 court aggressive pressure a la Nova.

It seems more and more in college hoops, if you run around like madmen and hack, bump, clutch ... the refs fall into some kind of trance and just give you the benefit of the doubt on just about everything.

At one point a VT player along the baseline was literally standing a foot out of bounds with ball in hand and no call.

The officials helped keep VT's run going. We were not getting the same calls until they cut it to about 2.

wadegarrett said:
I thought we looked pretty darn good in the first half. We just can't close games right now. That will come with experience. This team has some serious flaws, but so does 95% of the rest of teams in college basketball. Can't be a top 10 team every year. That's my opinion.

Having a 19 point lead with 20 to go playing against a garbage team has nothing to do with closing games.

You don't need to be a top 10 team year in and year out but there's no reason to expect more from a team than what we saw the second half today.

You don't have to win by 20, but when your playing a bad team like tech is, and you have a 22 point lead, you should not be sweating out a last second 3 at the buzzer.

I was expecting some sort of comeback by VTech, because this is college hoops, and emotion plays a big part in these games. But I believe the difference between a 10-12 point win (what it should have been) and a 2 point win (what it was) was our FT shooting at the end.

Having a 19 point lead with 20 to go playing against a garbage team has nothing to do with closing games.
You don't need to be a top 10 team year in and year out but there's no reason to expect more from a team than what we saw the second half today.

Has nothing to do with how bad VT was. We let go a 12 point lead against nova but a 17 vs tech so how bad is nova then???? Nova should have loss to us they must be worse then vt by this thinking.
points like this our pointless. You have to look at what the team is lacking not just some random stat based on the universal perception that a team sucks.

The 02-03 team loss to rutgers on the road, look where they ended up.

Obviously the team has trouble agianst pressure defense as of right now, and opponents get momentum for long long stretches from it, especially on the road.

Last edited:
It was another lesson to be learned. First road game in conference. Watched plenty of garbage bottom feeder acc teams give thr blue bloods a terror in conference play. Who got next is all that matters.

I remember when the 09-10 team almost lost to seton hall first conference game, and later almost fell to depaul on the road.

Today was bad, no doubt, but if we win by 30, does that mean this team would win more games this season than winning by "only" 2?
yes

nklnklnklnklnklnklnklnklnkl

Actuallly it' s not. Couple that we aren't build to beat a good team in a close game. Every good team will have a better pt guard than we do.
You have BCS syndrome

Losses to Michigan st.johns VU and this collapse have anything in common that one can draw a conclusion about this team and well it's coachinfg?collapse city

look on the bright side...we get to develop patterson as a player...the team on the free throw line...and its only a matter of time before patterson starts knocking down threes when he hits his stride...

sort of sad that mccullough is such a non-factor in these games offensively

No you shouldn't, but they won, no matter how crappy the second half was. Also, this isn't a terrible Va tech team - they have a winning record...this isn't losing at home to NJIT

I was expecting some sort of comeback by VTech, because this is college hoops, and emotion plays a big part in these games. But I believe the difference between a 10-12 point win (what it should have been) and a 2 point win (what it was) was our FT shooting at the end.

I was wasn't expecting a 30 point win, but you increase the lead to 11 in the final couple of minutes, you have to close the game out.

Will not beat a top twenty team
Six definite losses against Duke 2 NC 1 Virginia 1 Louisville 1 nd 1
50/50 against : Pitt2 Miami 1 Gt 1 NCst 1 FSt 1 = 3
What loss BC2 WF 1 Vt 1 = 1
ACC T = 1
That's 15? Losses
Best win Iowa
nd isn't a guaranteed loss

Will not beat a top twenty team
Six definite losses against Duke 2 NC 1 Virginia 1 Louisville 1 nd 1
50/50 against : Pitt2 Miami 1 Gt 1 NCst 1 FSt 1 = 3
What loss BC2 WF 1 Vt 1 = 1
ACC T = 1
That's 15? Losses
Best win Iowa

Let's see how the games go. We will beat Duke and UVA in the dome. Pitt got destroyed today by NCState...Miami is overrated...and we beat FSU...

look on the bright side...we get to develop patterson as a player...the team on the free throw line...and its only a matter of time before patterson starts knocking down threes when he hits his stride...

sort of sad that mccullough is such a non-factor in these games offensively

Joseph too. He didn't do anything today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom