Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long)

It would be a relatively simple task to float a bond issue to be repaid from the future revenue stream from the additional ACC money. Diverting that stream to repay the bonds is the real issue, however.
good post. As to the use of funds the BOT could simply pledge a percentage of the gross to cover the bonds. It would be easy to put into place and it could be backed by the general fund.

You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

The school/trustees would love to build a new football practice facility....as soon as the football program raises a certain percentage of the money needed for it.

This is exactly how the Melo facility was built...and how Newhouse III was built ... and how the new law school is being built. The school committed to neither ... until the money was raised.

This is how athletic facilities on most campuses are built...they are mainly funded by substantial private donations. For an example close to home, look at the football facility and soon-to-be-built basketball facility at UConn -- both funded by private donations.

When Doug talks about fan support ... he is in part talking about the extreme difficulty in raising the money that the program needs to build necessary facilities.

So obviously we have to assume DM knows how these things work as well. So basically this thread is irrelevant, since he knows he isn't going to get funding from the University. So if he is using these interviews as leverage it would be against fan support? I'm not buying that either. Hard to say, and sad to think about, but maybe he is just fed up and WANTS to leave

Agreed. The point is not how the school/trustees would like to build the new facility or how we have done things in the past. The point is that the school may have to do something outside of the box this time based on the situation. Given the choice that may or may not be on the table i would hope that they would proceed prior to having the normal required contributions in place.

That's just not how it works. I have no idea what the level of debt the AD already has but that can limit the amount that the AD or university can borrow at reasonable rates to make the project happen. And you can't just shift around endowment funds to make up for a shortfall. First of all, a high percentage of endowment funds are slated for a specific purpose. Secondly, the principle itself can never be touched...only the revenue generated from it. Third, a significant percentage of the endowment is not even liquid assets. Among the most important reasons for having an endowment is to enable the university to borrow money at reasonable rates with the endowment backing the loan or bond issue so as to get important projects off the ground without requiring the university to raise all the money up front. So for example Harvard has a huge endowment but it also has some $7 billion in debt. But if the AD has a high debt ceiling already, it may not be possible to borrow the money needed to get this thing off the ground. They need to raise enough to start the project knowing that by the time they finish it they will have enough to pay for it. Without a major naming gift, they probably can't get the financing they need to finish.

That's just not how it works. I have no idea what the level of debt the AD already has but that can limit the amount that the AD or university can borrow at reasonable rates to make the project happen. And you can't just shift around endowment funds to make up for a shortfall. First of all, a high percentage of endowment funds are slated for a specific purpose. Secondly, the principle itself can never be touched...only the revenue generated from it. Third, a significant percentage of the endowment is not even liquid assets. Among the most important reasons for having an endowment is to enable the university to borrow money at reasonable rates with the endowment backing the loan or bond issue so as to get important projects off the ground without requiring the university to raise all the money up front. So for example Harvard has a huge endowment but it also has some $5 billion in debt. But if the AD has a high debt ceiling already, it may not be possible to borrow the money needed to get this thing off the ground. They need to raise enough to start the project knowing that by the time they finish it they will have enough to pay for it. Without a major naming gift, they probably can't get the financing they need to finish.

Someone needs to make Donovan McNabb an offer he can't refuse.

I proposed such a campaign to the athletic department a little over a year ago. They liked the idea. I had for the campaign. I had emailed Dr. Gross and one other staff member who knows me a little bit. Received a call back to discuss my ideas. Problem is that it costs money to stage such a campaign. Also need some additional staff for such campaign. They thought that it might be a future possibility, but it never came to fruition. I am not going to tell you the details of my campaign, but it was a really good idea. Hope they still get around to it.

We need to get this off the ground...Or the university at least needs to communicate the goal and what is needed better to the fans, alumni, community etc...The uconn board has their fundraising targets & goals right at the top of their board...

I haven't read this whole thread, but I posted a little while ago about a proposal I made to the athletic dept. About a year and a half ago, I emailed Dr. Gross, and one other member of the athletic staff who I remotely know. I proposed a campaign idea to raise money specifically for the football program. Much to my surprise, I recieved a phone call from the other member of the athletic staff that I emailed. He and Dr. Gross had read my email, and like my idea. The jist was that while they liked my idea, it costs money to run such campaigns, and additional staff for it, and they were hoping to have both in place later that year, and that my idea was one of the contenders. My idea specifically covered small donations, so that everyone could feel a part of rebuilding the program. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED FOR $$$ FOR THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM, would not be able to be a large doner, but would gladly give small amounts from time to time. Small amounts add up fast. My campaign used a heart string approach for football. It also had a component built in for medium and large donors. It had a catchy slogan.
I would love to have this program implemented.
I guess I will give it up... it was called "44FOR FOOTBALL"
It involved donations with the number "44" in it. So on a small scale you could donate $44. Medium $440, $4,400 etc. Even $144, as long as 44 was in the amount.
If you had a major football donor, they could donate $44,000 or $440,000 and a really big donor like Melo? 4.4 mil.
For each level you got somethiing showing you donated to "44 for football" Obviously the larger levels would have a room or something named after them.
There could be a #44 plaque in the new practice facility with all of the donors on it.
The biggest idea of this camapign was to bring in the smaller donors, and have them feel involved. Small donors sometimes became big donors.
I started a facebook page this year called "44 for football" to try a grass roots effort. I personally have sent in several donations of $44 this year.
I am going to cut and past this and make it it's own thread. I really think we need something like this. Maybe the members of this forum can help drive this idea.
I would hate to lose DM when we can do something like this.

I think I am safe in saying that any "commitment" to the program related to facilities, even the $25m for a practice facility, will not be the University just handing over $25m.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Couldn't they commit in part a significant portion of the ACC bump to get things started?

I also don't believe this basketball vs football contest either. The basketball program has been supported by many private donors, some of them big. The BOT I do not believe has the mindset that they will support basketball but not football.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I posted a little while ago about a proposal I made to the athletic dept. About a year and a half ago, I emailed Dr. Gross, and one other member of the athletic staff who I remotely know. I proposed a campaign idea to raise money specifically for the football program. Much to my surprise, I recieved a phone call from the other member of the athletic staff that I emailed. He and Dr. Gross had read my email, and like my idea. The jist was that while they liked my idea, it costs money to run such campaigns, and additional staff for it, and they were hoping to have both in place later that year, and that my idea was one of the contenders. My idea specifically covered small donations, so that everyone could feel a part of rebuilding the program. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED FOR $$$ FOR THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM, would not be able to be a large doner, but would gladly give small amounts from time to time. Small amounts add up fast. My campaign used a heart string approach for football. It also had a component built in for medium and large donors. It had a catchy slogan.
It involved donations with the number "44" in it. So on a small scale you could donate $44. Medium $440, $4,400 etc. Even $144, as long as 44 was in the amount.
If you had a major football donor, they could donate $44,000 or $440,000 and a really big donor like Melo? 4.4 mil.
For each level you got somethiing showing you donated to "44 for football" Obviously the larger levels would have a room or something named after them.
There could be a #44 plaque in the new practice facility with all of the donors on it.
The biggest idea of this camapign was to bring in the smaller donors, and have them feel involved. Small donors sometimes became big donors.
I started a facebook page this year called "44 for football" to try a grass roots effort. I personally have sent in several donations of $44 this year.
I am going to cut and past this and make it it's own thread. I really think we need something like this. Maybe the members of this forum can help drive this idea.

Great idea, I had wondered to why there was no attempt to go after the smaller donors, hell even $44 is nothing to turn away when your desperate for cash.

That's an excellent idea. With a lot of promise in it, I really like at the AD and his assistants were looking at implementing it, there is a lot of promise there I think.

That's an excellent idea. With a lot of promise in it, I really like at the AD and his assistants were looking at implementing it, there is a lot of promise there I think.
But they never did anything with it. It has been a year and a half.

But they never did anything with it. It has been a year and a half.

Maybe it's time to remind them? Or perhaps start a grass roots campaign to raise the funds yourself before handing it over in big chunks to the athletic department

This is a great idea as most programs already have some form of this operating...I know clemson does (IPAC i think)...They all have the stickers everywhere showing their support...As stated in the propsel that everyone can't afford to donate millions of dollars but smaller amounts do add up...I for one would be glad to throw some money to improve or maintain football ie keep marrone, new practice faciltiy...Do we need university to approve this or we can we raise the money then just hand it over??

Wow CTO44 just painted the picture worse than I realized. I saw the conceptual drawings - DM says I need this to compete. BoT says - we have financing rules you must follow. DM says I'm a head football coach, not a fundraiser. SU goes on a $1 Billion endowment fundraiser. Sorry, their is no money for said practice facility. DM says do you want a competitive program. BoT says we have our funding rules. Football landscape changes, but BoT doesn't. 4 years later - no practice facility. Wow - what a lack of leadership at he top!

You didn't get what I was saying CTO (and Bees) - source said BoT won't change it's thinking and is sticking to its old way of thinking. KCSU is right on and better at explaining what I was trying to say.

Sure the BoT wants a practice facility - but like I keep saying "actions" speak LOUDER than words. So we potentially lose a HC that brought the FB program back from non-existence because the BoT can't see the changing football landscape and do the right thing? God help us - we should have just stayed in he BE.

Yes, CTO's post is rather concerning because it paints a very conservative, stubborn picture of the powers-that-be. They are essentially saying we have a formula as to what percentage needs to be raised before the shovels hit the ground, and we're sticking to that.

If the football program, as it moves towards a better conference, is asking for more resources, a committed University figures it out and gets it done.

CTO44 - insider - says that I am uniformed. I stated early on that my source was 2nd hand. I simply was trying to convey 2 points:
1. HCDM is really frustrated tht he cannot get funding for a practice facility. Whether that is from fans and/or BOT - does it really matter. The proof is we do not have a practice facility 4 years running. Do we expect HCDM to be a fundraiser as well?
2. Other Universities loudly proclaim new contacts & comp - take UL's Charlie Strong situation. The private university thing is all wrong. All non profits have to release the most highly compensated employees every year - why not be up front about it?

All I am saying is things don't add up and now we have a HC hat brought the program up from the ashes who is leaving for the NFL.

However, CTO44 is trying to discredit me but not necessary by her new thread - please feel free to delete entire (not that you need my permission).

It's true we don't know how leveraged the AD is, but I can't believe they the percentage they are leveraged went up say $15M a year since we were invited to share in ACC wealth.

That's just not how it works. I have no idea what the level of debt the AD already has but that can limit the amount that the AD or university can borrow at reasonable rates to make the project happen. And you can't just shift around endowment funds to make up for a shortfall. First of all, a high percentage of endowment funds are slated for a specific purpose. Secondly, the principle itself can never be touched...only the revenue generated from it. Third, a significant percentage of the endowment is not even liquid assets. Among the most important reasons for having an endowment is to enable the university to borrow money at reasonable rates with the endowment backing the loan or bond issue so as to get important projects off the ground without requiring the university to raise all the money up front. So for example Harvard has a huge endowment but it also has some $7 billion in debt. But if the AD has a high debt ceiling already, it may not be possible to borrow the money needed to get this thing off the ground. They need to raise enough to start the project knowing that by the time they finish it they will have enough to pay for it. Without a major naming gift, they probably can't get the financing they need to finish.

This is a great idea as most programs already have some form of this operating...I know clemson does (IPAC i think)...They all have the stickers everywhere showing their support...As stated in the propsel that everyone can't afford to donate millions of dollars but smaller amounts do add up...I for one would be glad to throw some money to improve or maintain football ie keep marrone, new practice faciltiy...Do we need university to approve this or we can we raise the money then just hand it over??
I bought this to the athletic dept. and was told to wait a bit that they might do it. But I never heard from them. So I did a facebook page to try to start a grassroots effort. Here is the link to the facebook program.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SyracuseUniversity44ForFootball?fref=ts

Donors are the bigger problem, not the BOT. What this may do is cause big supporters of Doug who have the means to step up. That happens elsewhere. Donors have even stepped up in reverse and paid for buyouts. If people are waiting for the BOT to just come up with $20m for a facility, they'll be disappointed. Hopefully there is some decent coin already committed to the facility, more can be obtained and SU doesn't have too many outstanding committments and can borrow the rest.

you're exactly right. On a much smaller scale, we finally got the trustees at Hamilton to give a green light to a new field turf lay out in our "stadium" at Hamilton a while back. When that happened we needed to raise over a million pronto to make it a go. We all stepped up big time amongst alums and ex players and made it happen. Got a piece acyrilic with a piece of the project in my office I call the worlds most expensive piece of plastic. Same will need to happen here.

It can happen. Get a program going as noted here for every possible cent to move this whole thing forward and keep the coach.

CTO44 - insider - says that I am uniformed. I stated early on that my source was 2nd hand. I simply was trying to convey 2 points:
1. HCDM is really frustrated tht he cannot get funding for a practice facility. Whether that is from fans and/or BOT - does it really matter. The proof is we do not have a practice facility 4 years running. Do we expect HCDM to be a fundraiser as well?
2. Other Universities loudly proclaim new contacts & comp - take UL's Charlie Strong situation. The private university thing is all wrong. All non profits have to release the most highly compensated employees every year - why not be up front about it?

All I am saying is things don't add up and now we have a HC hat brought the program up from the ashes who is leaving for the NFL.

However, CTO44 is trying to discredit me but not necessary by her new thread - please feel free to delete entire (not that you need my permission).

There are schools in the ACC that currently have zero indoor options. SU FB currently has two. Yet we are to spend money we don't have while these other ACC schools are not?

There are schools in the ACC that currently have zero indoor options. SU FB currently has two. Yet we are to spend money we don't have while these other ACC schools are not?

Which ones?

Again, the facility was put on the back burner because there was not enough funding obtained.

Northwestern, a small (19,000 students, grad & undergrad) private university who hadn't won a bowl game in 63 years just announced they have raised$55 million of the $220 million needed to build an on-campus lakefront facility that will benefit nearly all Northwestern students, especially those who play football.

I want to thank everyone on this board for keeping someone out of town so well informed. You guys are always ahead of the curve and accurate with your information. As a longtime Orange fan, I am heart broken that when it appears that Syracuse football is on the rise, we may end up losing our coach. As someone who lives in ACC country, I was looking forward to a strong Syracuse football and basketball progeams.

Which ones?

Pitt has had theirs since 2000 how many more BE titles than us have they had since then?
UNC opened in December of 2001
Louisville has had theirs since 2006
Duke's opened in September 2011
GA Tech broke ground in January 2011
Clemson broke ground in May 2012
FSU broke ground in November 2012
UVA hopes to have theirs completed for Spring FB 2013
BC does not have one
Miami does not have one
NC St does not have one
Virginia Tech does not have one
Wake does not have one

SU needs to improve facilities. There is no question about that. But let's not pretend like we are the only school that does not have one and that we should be using the school's general fund to cover it when schools like FSU did not.

Here's an inventory of indoor practice facilities in the ACC.

Schools With Indoor Practice Facilities

Atlantic
Syracuse 120 yards, multi-purpose; also: 80+ yards, multi-purpose; plans for 120 yard, football-only facility
Florida State 120 yards, under construction
Clemson 120 yards, under construction
Louisville 120 yards, multi-purpose, only $8M
BCU 120 yards, bubble (chuckle)

Coastal
Duke 120 yards
Georgia Tech 120 yards
Pitt 120 yards, multi-purpose
North Carolina 80 yards, multi-purpose (not primarily for football, retractable field)
Virginia 120 yards, under construction (roof caught fire)

Schools Without Indoor Practice Facilities
Maryland - Edsall has expressed the desire
Miami
NC State has plans, multi-purpose
VPI - has plans
Wake Forest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics