Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long)

Its nice to have large donors but its not necessary.

Yes, a lot of small and middle sized ones can equal a big one. But even with a big one, there are many small ones.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is a defining moment for this program. The BOT needs to make the correct decision for the long term success for this program. They didn't do this 15 years ago and look where we went. They will be telling the fans a great deal with this decision. I'm glad the timing is now because they are going to have to answer a lot of questions as supporters of the program will be making their own decisions with re-upping their donor levels for another year. Doug and DG will soon get the answer they need to further this program to a level that everyone wants or if the BOT is going on the cheap! I don't think you'll lose only one of them if a decision isn't made to their liking.

What do we as Alumni and program donors need to do to affect thus with the BOT? Who do we need to contact and how do we get through to them. I've seen this type of thing in business and bad decision or not accepting the reality of the situation can have lasting negative impacts. Time for this BOT to commit the University to this sport.

Where's the petition? Postal and email addresses? Fan/supporter demonstrations?

You make a very good point and im sure that is a consideration. But if SUA is indeed making a profit i would imagine they have been saving the $$$$ for a rainy deal. If its the university policy to move the excess funds to the GF then that is just dumb and short sighted.

That was the policy previously which hurt the AD and was changed.

I don't think TGD is at the heart of the problem - if I hear anything more I will update, my source has suddenly gone silent.

Not surprised your source has gone dark. I'm sure the BoT is thrilled that they're being innundated with angry e-mails based on info that your source leaked. :D

What happens over the next 10 days will largely determine the future of Syracuse football for the next 10, 20 even 30 years.

The university needs to make a decision. Does it want to invest next to nothing in facilities and coaches, cash its checks from the ACC, make football a reliable cash cow with a low ceiling for additional earnings and live with playing home games in a near empty Dome/being a perennial doormat in football?

Or do they want to have a consistent winning program, a near full Dome, go to bowl games most every year and compete for conference and national championships?

IMHO, you can't go halfway on this. You either consciously decide not to try/become the Rutgers of the ACC or you go all in and try to be the best.

UL just had the same decision. They extended Strong for big dollars. UC just had a similar decision. They hired a big name and committed to making major infrastructure improvements.

It is more though than just extending DM's contract and giving him a sizable raise. If the decision is to go all in, the university needs to commit the money coming in from the move to the ACC to the athletic department. I think all DM is asking for is a commitment to allow football to be self sustaining.

The university had an excellent program that was a cash cow back in the Mac and early/mid Coach P eras. They chose to milk the profits and not invest them back into the program and soon the milk was gone.

The same thing happened with Schwartzwalder and the football program in the late 1950s/1960s. We had a great program, made a lot of money and didn't invest it in keeping the program competitive.

Is the university short sighted enough to drive the program to ruin a third time in 50 years?

We might as well know where things stand before we play a game in the ACC.

Those in power, please be forward thinking and aware of the past. Make the smart decision. All DM is asking is to invest the money the football program will be making in the football program. The good a successful football program does in terms of visibility, admissions, ability to raise funds, etc. is well documented. And the more the team wins, the more money comes in from bowl games, TV, gate revenues, concessions, seat licensing, merchandise licensing, etc.

This should be a no brainer...

This makes sense. In addition, I've heard that the BOT has become cynical of TGD's hiring practices.

They believe he overpays. See salaries for Luke Jensen & Gary Gait. - non-revenue coaches making relatively big bucks.

It's not helping his case with this situation.

I presume the BOT can read a balance sheet and revenue figures.

It seems that the AD has generated significant revenue.

Gotta believe BOT steps up.

There has to be something serious happening behind the scenes though.. HCDM has been quiet about a lot of things. Why wouldn't he have asked the NFL execs to keep it quiet considering the number of recruits in the process of committing this week, Ebo, Laray, etc..

This NFL thing must have legs or he'd make a public statement this morning. He hasn't setup a press conference and as such I ascertain he must not have what he wants currently to get his job done here, be it salary or facility related. I hope that this is a leverage play, because I fear the alternative.

HCDM and Gross are undoubtedly trying to wratchet up the pressure on the BOT to pony-up.

I remember thinking yesterday that the shot of Gross and HCDM in discussion at the b-ball game looked intriguing... something about it looked like a serious conversation and Marrone seemed irritated/concerned about something... something of significance (that was just the vibe I got as I watched it... for whatever 10 secs. of video are worth - certainly not much.)

Then sportscenter reporting a few hours later that Marrone had scheduled interviews this week with Cleveleand and Buffalo... That was no coincidence and likely information not released by either teams (but from TGD, Marrone or their confidants)...

At that point I knew something must be at an impasse for Marrone and staying here...

If this BOT approach is true, we have some serious look-in-the mirror searching to do as an institution this week.

1. Are we a basketball-first private school that "simply won't compete with the big state U's" as far as football support and facilities are concerned?... a program that, with meager support and some luck, can capture lightnig in a bottle to be competitive for 2-3 years in every 10 (the default highbar for a low-shooting program??)...

2. Or are we breaking those shackles and making the commitment to big time football that our fans want, our coaches want, our athletic department wants and our new conference wants.

If the BOT decides the former, I would leave if I were HCDM as well. I would the think TGD would be looking for greener pastures as well.

This is a defining moment for this program. The BOT needs to make the correct decision for the long term success for this program. They didn't do this 15 years ago and look where we went. They will be telling the fans a great deal with this decision. I'm glad the timing is now because they are going to have to answer a lot of questions as supporters of the program will be making their own decisions with re-upping their donor levels for another year. Doug and DG will soon get the answer they need to further this program to a level that everyone wants or if the BOT is going on the cheap! I don't think you'll lose only one of them if a decision isn't made to their liking.

Donors are the bigger problem, not the BOT. What this may do is cause big supporters of Doug who have the means to step up. That happens elsewhere. Donors have even stepped up in reverse and paid for buyouts. If people are waiting for the BOT to just come up with $20m for a facility, they'll be disappointed. Hopefully there is some decent coin already committed to the facility, more can be obtained and SU doesn't have too many outstanding committments and can borrow the rest.

This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This This

What happens over the next 10 days will largely determine the future of Syracuse football for the next 10, 20 even 30 years.

The university needs to make a decision. Does it want to invest next to nothing in facilities and coaches, cash its checks from the ACC, make football a reliable cash cow with a low ceiling for additional earnings and live with playing home games in a near empty Dome/being a perennial doormat in football?

Or do they want to have a consistent winning program, a near full Dome, go to bowl games most every year and compete for conference and national championships?

IMHO, you can't go halfway on this. You either consciously decide not to try/become the Rutgers of the ACC or you go all in and try to be the best.

UL just had the same decision. They extended Strong for big dollars. UC just had a similar decision. They hired a big name and committed to making major infrastructure improvements.

It is more though than just extending DM's contract and giving him a sizable raise. If the decision is to go all in, the university needs to commit the money coming in from the move to the ACC to the athletic department. I think all DM is asking for is a commitment to allow football to be self sustaining.

The university had an excellent program that was a cash cow back in the Mac and early/mid Coach P eras. They chose to milk the profits and not invest them back into the program and soon the milk was gone.

The same thing happened with Schwartzwalder and the football program in the late 1950s/1960s. We had a great program, made a lot of money and didn't invest it in keeping the program competitive.

Is the university short sighted enough to drive the program to ruin a third time in 50 years?

Those in power, please be forward thinking and aware of the past. Make the smart decision. All DM is asking is to invest the money the football program will be making in the football program. The good a successful football program does in terms of visibility, admissions, ability to raise funds, etc. is well documented. And the more the team wins, the more money comes in from bowl games, TV, gate revenues, concessions, seat licensing, merchandise licensing, etc.

Ok i just spoke to my Dad and this is his take. At the end of the day the university will step up. My Dad has been a contributor to the school for many years. Significant but not to the point that many have been still significant enough to be known and appreciated. He is getting up there at this point and not as well connected as he was in the past still he info is usually pretty solid. The fact that Nancy is leaving really hurts as there is a void at the top. She is supportive but a lame duck. As the original poster said this will not be a long drawn out ordeal. If Doug stays regardless of any announcement you can bet that we are on solid footing. To Toms point having been involved with this program for almost my entire life it is beyond me how the BOT cannot support going forward. As many on this board know it was in the 70's when there was actually a strong push to scale back the football program and it came much closer than most realize. To Toms point we are at a major cross roads. Not since the 70's have we been at this point. In the grand scheme of Syracuse University 25m in light of the increased revenue from the ACC is little more than a rounding error. This should be a very simple decision.

If we lose Doug Marrone because the University is not willing to meet him half way and commit to better Facilities then I cannot be a fan of this team. If they are not willing to put the best on the field that they can then I will walk away

Try recruting with Syracuse facilities... It's like being a second rate copier salesman..

I thought we just spruced up the Dome and added boards and upgraded the players lounge and are redoing the football wing and the med facilities? Besides the practice facility, what else do you expect?

i think this is marrone's left, right hook to the BOT belly to make them submit to his demands. Hopefully its strategic and this can be all over with in the next few days. It may cost us Ebo, but right now Marrone is the top recruit I want back.

I just don't want to end up being the UConn of the ACC. If we go in the wrong direction here, that is what we'll be and I hate to say it but there won't be any reason to follow the FB team. Fighting for NR recruits and hoping to surprise a team once in awhile during the season while getting crushed the rest of the time. :bang: f-that, not interested.

Ok i just spoke to my Dad and this is his take. At the end of the day the university will step up. My Dad has been a contributor to the school for many years. Significant but not to the point that many have been still significant enough to be known and appreciated. He is getting up there at this point and not as well connected as he was in the past still he info is usually pretty solid. The fact that Nancy is leaving really hurts as there is a void at the top. She is supportive but a lame duck. As the original poster said this will not be a long drawn out ordeal. If Doug stays regardless of any announcement you can bet that we are on solid footing. To Toms point having been involved with this program for almost my entire life it is beyond me how the BOT cannot support going forward. As many on this board know it was in the 70's when there was actually a strong push to scale back the football program and it came much closer than most realize. To Toms point we are at a major cross roads. Not since the 70's have we been at this point. In the grand scheme of Syracuse University 25m in light of the increased revenue from the ACC is little more than a rounding error. This should be a very simple decision.

I think I am safe in saying that any "commitment" to the program related to facilities, even the $25m for a practice facility, will not be the University just handing over $25m.

I thought we just spruced up the Dome and added boards and upgraded the players lounge and are redoing the football wing and the med facilities? Besides the practice facility, what else do you expect?

Ferris wheels and fireworks.

If we lose Doug Marrone because the University is not willing to meet him half way and commit to better Facilities then I cannot be a fan of this team. If they are not willing to put the best on the field that they can then I will walk away
Sadly, I feel the same way.

maybe there are still a bunch of Ken Shaw lackies on the BOT, you know his philosophy on football and winning

I also don't believe this basketball vs football contest either. The basketball program has been supported by many private donors, some of them big. The BOT I do not believe has the mindset that they will support basketball but not football.

Is there anything that can be done to express the concerns of the football fans? Maybe an email, call or donation? I will have a hard time following a program that wants to cut corners when there is so much money on the table and at stake?

I also don't believe this basketball vs football contest either. The basketball program has been supported by many private donors, some of them big. The BOT I do not believe has the mindset that they will support basketball but not football.

If this is REALLY about facilities and a competitive salary, I still don't understand. If the BOT agrees that Marrone is the future, why are they not fronting the money to invest in him with facilities and competitive salaries? The reimbursement of that investment to come from the ACC + football revenue + donations.

Doesn't that seem easier than letting a successful alum walk out the door and having to start all over again with a new coach?

Seems like a no brainier unless they don't think he is the guy or there are other factors.

I e-mailed AD Gross to advise him that as a pathfinder donor to the university I am disappointed with the Board of Trustees (BOT) lack of support of the football program and the actions of the BOT (with regards to the football program) will impact our decision whether we should make charitable contributions to the university. Not sure if it will do much good but maybe a flood of emails regarding this matter may convince the BOT to invest in the SU football program. Send an e-mail to to show your support of the football program.
Just emailed him. We should all do this.

Wake up call for the geniuses on the BOT. Take a look at what is happening with conference realignment. FOOTBALL is driving that. If the end game turns into a death match between the ACC and Big 12, and not all teams can make it in, well guess what? The basketball program that you care about so much will wither and die when we get left out because we are a "basketball school."

And the first person who says, "Well, we could get back to playing the Catholic group, fans will show up for that!" should be tarred and feathered.

Boob jobs for the escort girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom