Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what I know (2nd hand - somewhat long)

That's not how things work. Again, show me a school that uses all of their own money to build facilities. Colleges are academic institutions and school monies from academic donors and student fees, tuition etc go to academics lousy administrators and bloated bureaucracies. Athletic departments are pretty much designed to be self sufficient.
Fixed.

I think I am safe in saying that any "commitment" to the program related to facilities, even the $25m for a practice facility, will not be the University just handing over $25m.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

There's a new thing called financing and due to, due froms.

Maybe we can impress some recruits if this thread hits 1000 posts...

um...yeah

I think I am safe in saying that any "commitment" to the program related to facilities, even the $25m for a practice facility, will not be the University just handing over $25m.

Oh for sure agreed.

With the ACC $ coming in, what's the damn problem?

Yeah, wasn't that money supposed to solve all these problems? We are going over our own fiscal cliff.

I'm not surprised by the incompetence of the board. Seems that no one in this town gets it. They don't seem to be progressive and don't accept change very well. They don't seem to comprehend the concept that you have to invest to get something in return.

They want to keep doing things the way that they always have. Marrone and Gross understand how things need to be done ande are living in the 21st century not the 1980s. If some one on the board reads this board PLEASE GET YOUR **** TOGETHER!!

Do the right thing here. recognize the talented coach you have and reward him accordingly. Recognize how much money you will lose if you don't invest in him and the facilities now!!
Noone in this town? Yes lets blame us not getting better practice facilities on the locals. Idiot post

If they were willing to pay Holtz as much as $2 million to come here before settling on Marrone, then they should just pay the guy the $2.5 million since he is a known quantity

You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

The school/trustees would love to build a new football practice facility....as soon as the football program raises a certain percentage of the money needed for it.

This is exactly how the Melo facility was built...and how Newhouse III was built ... and how the new law school is being built. The school committed to neither ... until the money was raised.

This is how athletic facilities on most campuses are built...they are mainly funded by substantial private donations. For an example close to home, look at the football facility and soon-to-be-built basketball facility at UConn -- both funded by private donations.

When Doug talks about fan support ... he is in part talking about the extreme difficulty in raising the money that the program needs to build necessary facilities.

just like Field of Dreams, If You Build It They Will Come. Some people talk like we can't fill up the Carrier Dome. Remember just 12 years ago we would fill it to capacity all the time. They used to measure the volume in decibel levels. Sounds like simple economics to me with a rather small investment. Make that investment, it may not pay off in the short term, but there was big time success before. Once we start playing in a competitive conference with teams that help draw, and most importantly we are winning, because we have better players do to better facilities the BOT can sit back and roll around in their money if they want.

But if they mess this up right now there will be some dark dark days ahead. Rather simple decision I see.

And didn't Cantor just raise 1B, and that's B with a Billion. Your telling me they couldn't raise 20M for practice facilities?

The school/trustees would love to build a new football practice facility....as soon as the football program raises a certain percentage of the money needed for it.

This is exactly how the Melo facility was built ... and how the new law school is being built. The school committed to neither ... until the money was raised.

This is how athletic facilities on most campuses are built...they are mainly funded by substantial private donations. For an example close to home, look at the football facility and soon-to-be-built basketball facility at UConn -- both funded by private donations.

When Doug talks about fan support ... he is in part talking about the extreme difficulty in raising the money that the program needs to build necessary facilities.

Thanks for saying better what I have been trying to say.

Where is the soon to be realized ginormous increase in athletic department revenue to be applied?

You just said it. Huge academic supporters like Falk. That's academic money to be used for academics, not diverted to athletics.

Where Jake and P screwed up wasn't by not making demands but for allowing the school to play games with the athletic revenues.

What we need, then is an athletic supporter.

This is exactly how the Melo facility was built ... and how the new law school is being built. The school committed to neither ... until the money was raised.

There's two unfortunate things afoot... (1) some of our most die-hard fans don't know how facility funding works, and (2) that so many die-hard fans would so quickly believe that the BOT wouldn't support the football program.

I was told there was about $5 million dollars pledged to a football practice facility in the fall. They still needed several million before they would move ahead with the project. I know Marrone spent time with Al Davis a few months before his death to seek support for the football program. Obviously, it never materilazed. I know in the past donations increased after a bowl victory. Let's hope with what we're hearing may help Gross and Marrone push the donation wheel again. They still don't have a naming pledge for the facility. When Marrone talks about lack of support for the program, he's not just talking about fans in the seats, but alumni donation support for facilities. One of the biggest supporters of the program is The Turning Stone. It would be nice if they stepped up to help. I could name about 5 local people that could get this done in a heart beat, but noone seems to be willing to provide the support necessary for the facility to get built.

Here is what I know (2nd hand good inside source). Plans for a practice facility was proposed 1st year HCDM was hired - this has been on the table for 4 years now. TGD is also a football first AD. The resistance to upgrade football facilities comes from the Board of Trustees many of whom are basketball homies and still can't believe football drives the bus. The football upgrades needed exceed $20 million. HCDM is extremely frustrated with the university administration.

Secondly Trustees are sticker shocked about how much they need to pay HCDM almost twice as much now to keep him - $2.5 million a year versus the $1.25 million they are paying him now. Long term negotiations broke down because HCDM wants a commitment from the SU for salary, facilities and contract. Trustees acting like Congress and can't agree on what to do - this whole thing will come down to the wire - this week probably - as SU Trustees are on their own "cliff" right now. They can't believe that the football coach will need to be paid so much more than their beloved JB.

We will see if SU Trustees comes through this week - source believes its not really HCDM or TGD as being the problem - the ball is currently in the chancellor & trustees court right now. All HCDM wants is to be paid a "competitive wage" like what Charlie Strong gets and he will stay. HCDM wants this now since we will going to ACC next year - money will be coming - and he feels the practice facility is necessary to remain competitive on the recruiting front and win more recruiting battles. Unfortunately, the "Melo" center is being used against us as our recruits are being told we are basketball first school - just look at practice facilities!

Honestly, I would not stay in my job if I didn't believe I was fully supported by my superiors, not given the tools to succeed and have opportunities to go elsewhere. I still think this job is HCDM's dream job but it seems he is really frustrated with SUs leadership meaning trustees. It is a real possibility that we lose HCDM this week if the trustees don't act and act soon.

So Doug is telling them: "You have to do a better job"? (YHTDABJ!)

Agreed. The point is not how the school/trustees would like to build the new facility or how we have done things in the past. The point is that the school may have to do something outside of the box this time based on the situation. Given the choice that may or may not be on the table i would hope that they would proceed prior to having the normal required contributions in place.

There's two unfortunate things afoot... (1) some of our most die-hard fans don't know how facility funding works, and (2) that so many die-hard fans would so quickly believe that the BOT wouldn't support the football program.

I would fall under category #1. Here is what I am trying to grasp. Roughly 4 years ago the effort began to fund a practice facility (according to what I've read). I don't know what percentage (50-75-100?) was felt necessary to fund raise in order to proceed. Four years ago - whatever that percentage was - was before the ACC thing happened and with it, a massive increase in future revenue. Now that the AD is looking at this huge increase in revenue - are the dynamics (i.e. percentage needed to be fund-raised) the same as it was 4 years ago? Are the interest rates for financing the remainder the same as they were 4 years ago. Do / should changed circumstances result in modification to the past way of decision-making as far as capital projects in the athletic department?

If we lose Doug Marrone because the University is not willing to meet him half way and commit to better Facilities then I cannot be a fan of this team. If they are not willing to put the best on the field that they can then I will walk away
Walk away?
And you call yourself a fan?

Adding another school (with a properly funded football program) to root for, I can understand. Walking away from a school/team (short of a major scandal) is simply inconceivable. Even considering such an act places your alleged fandom in question.

The practice facility can't be that far off from the needed money to get this rolling. I agree, with the additional income coming from the move to the ACC, I don't understand why the shovel isn't already in the ground. If we loose Marrone over this, somebody has some explaining to do!

Agreed. The point is not how the school/trustees would like to build the new facility or how we have done things in the past. The point is that the school may have to do something outside of the box this time based on the situation. Given the choice that may or may not be on the table i would hope that they would proceed prior to having the normal required contributions in place.

Wow CTO44 just painted the picture worse than I realized. I saw the conceptual drawings - DM says I need this to compete. BoT says - we have financing rules you must follow. DM says I'm a head football coach, not a fundraiser. SU goes on a $1 Billion endowment fundraiser. Sorry, their is no money for said practice facility. DM says do you want a competitive program. BoT says we have our funding rules. Football landscape changes, but BoT doesn't. 4 years later - no practice facility. Wow - what a lack of leadership at he top!

You didn't get what I was saying CTO (and Bees) - source said BoT won't change it's thinking and is sticking to its old way of thinking. KCSU is right on and better at explaining what I was trying to say.

Sure the BoT wants a practice facility - but like I keep saying "actions" speak LOUDER than words. So we potentially lose a HC that brought the FB program back from non-existence because the BoT can't see the changing football landscape and do the right thing? God help us - we should have just stayed in he BE.

THIS THIS THIS.

The way the Athletics Department promoted the IPF in BE Magazine it appeared as if all necessary funding had already been obtained.

Perhaps a targeted funding campaign is in order. I know that the Athletics Department never solicited such funds from this donor.

Walk away?
And you call yourself a fan?

Adding another school (with a properly funded football program) to root for, I can understand. Walking away from a school/team (short of a major scandal) is simply inconceivable. Even considering such an act places your alleged fandom in question.

I've been a fan for a half century and have already begun my second half century. Even if they go 4 X 16 and we aren't in it, we'll still be playing football/basketball/lacrosse and I'll still be rooting for them. Part of me thinks that might even be fun. Maybe we could be a national title contender if the top 64 fly away to their own cloud and we compete with the leftovers.

The practice facility can't be that far off from the needed money to get this rolling. I agree, with the additional income coming from the move to the ACC, I don't understand why the shovel isn't already in the ground. If we loose Marrone over this, somebody has some explaining to do!

It would be a relatively simple task to float a bond issue to be repaid from the future revenue stream from the additional ACC money. Diverting that stream to repay the bonds is the real issue, however.

Actually they really need a capital investment campaign where the ultimate goal is $100m for Athletic Facility (i.e. football) upgrades and modernization.
I proposed such a campaign to the athletic department a little over a year ago. They liked the idea. I had for the campaign. I had emailed Dr. Gross and one other staff member who knows me a little bit. Received a call back to discuss my ideas. Problem is that it costs money to stage such a campaign. Also need some additional staff for such campaign. They thought that it might be a future possibility, but it never came to fruition. I am not going to tell you the details of my campaign, but it was a really good idea. Hope they still get around to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom