Hip Hop thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

I got one for you...

Yes! I didn’t that hear that underrated album until a few years later(thank you Napster and Kazaa), but I remember seeing that video on BET and loving it at the time.

edit: Puba went from the Charles Way jersey to the Boyz II Men esque v neck. Man could do whatever he wanted, lol.

Yes! I didn’t that hear that underrated album until a few years later(thank you Napster and Kazaa), but I remember seeing that video on BET and loving it at the time.

edit: Puba went from the Charles Way jersey to the Boyz II Men esque v neck. Man could do whatever he wanted, lol.
Original Puba...

Original Puba...

Man, that’s another Kazaa/Napster college era download for me. Somehow I stumbled upon that. It blew my mind at the time that Puba had been around that long because I had no idea - figured he started in Brand Nubian.

Puba’s “2000” solo album was one of my favorites for awhile. Funny him and AZ have both been mentioned. 2 of the smoothest ever.

Since we started talking old school stuff, it doesn't matter if I haven't heard this song in 10 years, I can still rap every word:

When I first started dating my now-wife, this song came on and I went through the entire thing, almost forgetting she was in the car with me.

Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know
That we riddled some middlemen who didn't do diddly

Since we started talking old school stuff, it doesn't matter if I haven't heard this song in 10 years, I can still rap every word:

When I first started dating my now-wife, this song came on and I went through the entire thing, almost forgetting she was in the car with me.

Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know
That we riddled some middlemen who didn't do diddly
Pun is one of my favorites. Talk about lyrics and flo!! This album was hot!! He’s got some underground mixtape stuff and collab stuff on YouTube. He was a real MC!

Sorry to bring up Kanye again, but from what I heard this would’ve easily been the best song of the album and he didn’t even put it on there. SMH. Dre 3000 stuck to the “mom” theme.

This has me thinking...I think my favorite album from a veteran, “old” rapper was Scarface - Deeply Rooted. I think that was 2015. Man, I love that album.
Classic!!

I used to argue to anyone that would listen that Aziatic was better than Jay-Z - The Blueprint.

ive always loved AZ. I remember in high school in my mind I used to group him, Nas, and Jay as kind of a trio of peers, but AZ obviously never came near their success. But man he could rap. Hope he still can...first single was good so I’m optimistic.

Just pre-ordered on iTunes.

not to much southern stuff.
Same, but Lil’ Troy’s “Wanna be a Baller” is a classic.

Also listen to some occasional TRU. I’ve got a JL 10” sub in my Tahoe (because I’m a child), just enough to give some crisp bass punch but not enough to rattle anyone’s windows or make my wife mad… but this TRU jam makes it sound like I’ve got 2 twelves in the back.

Same, but Lil’ Troy’s “Wanna be a Baller” is a classic.

Also listen to some occasional TRU. I’ve got a JL 10” sub in my Tahoe (because I’m a child), just enough to give some crisp bass punch but not enough to rattle anyone’s windows or make my wife mad… but this TRU jam makes it sound like I’ve got 2 twelves in the back.
I bought some Skullcandy Crusher EVO headphones recently...it’s like having some 12’s right in your ears. Lol. It’s crazy. They’ve got a slider right on the headphones where you can turn the bass up and down...you only need it up like 1/4 of the way at the most. Kinda reminds me of the PS2 controllers where they’d rattle on contact. I can’t even use my Beats anymore.

My favorite southern rap:
Scarface
early Outkast
UGK
Big KRIT

It’s kindve a tragedy for the listeners that Andre 3000 hasn’t put out a rapping solo album ever or a real Outkast album since 2000.

Every now and then he drops a great guest verse. But man...I just miss hearing the guy rap.

I bought some Skullcandy Crusher EVO headphones recently...it’s like having some 12’s right in your ears. Lol. It’s crazy. They’ve got a slider right on the headphones where you can turn the bass up and down...you only need it up like 1/4 of the way at the most. Kinda reminds me of the PS2 controllers where they’d rattle on contact. I can’t even use my Beats anymore.

My favorite southern rap:
Scarface
early Outkast
UGK
Big KRIT
Good List, Big KRIT!

OK... I'm doing Hip Hop/R&B Blend Mixtapes this weekend from fav 90's DJ's

Ron G
Doo Wop
Juice
DJ Clue
Kid Capri
DoggTIme
DJ Envy

Classic for you!!

I used to argue to anyone that would listen that Aziatic was better than Jay-Z - The Blueprint.

ive always loved AZ. I remember in high school in my mind I used to group him, Nas, and Jay as kind of a trio of peers, but AZ obviously never came near their success. But man he could rap. Hope he still can...first single was good so I’m optimistic.

Available to download this morning. Only have a 20 minute ride to work but from what I listened to I enjoyed. Pulled into the parking lot listening to the jam with Rick Ross. That saxophone had me feeling good.

AZ has not lost a step. It’s amazing. He’s still great. Album is really good IMO.

my only complaints: too many songs with only 2 AZ verses. No need for Ross or Wayne IMO. Just give us another AZ verse. He’s better. Dave East was good on the hook, but could’ve done without his verse too. That would’ve been the song for a Nas verse if anything.

Also the mix on Check Me Out is off. It’s way too quiet and flat. Which is a shame because I absolutely love that beat.

I really like the album though, I played it all weekend.

Man I missed a lot of good discussion road tripping this past week, lol. Cuban Links and The Infamous are both at least in my top 10, maybe top 5 albums all time. I have zero problems playing classics often, one of my go to's is PE, Yo Bum Rush the Show, one of the most ahead of it's time albums ever, could've came out last week imo. DW got me thinking about my south list, I'm thinking;
UGK...I was down in TX like the week Pocket Full of Stones dropped and I brought it back up to NY, I like to think I had to be the first to bring it up there haha.

8Ball & MJG...Comin Out Hard was incredible, but On Top of the World is an all timer, the production and lyrics and depth just insane. I played it last week and talk about ahead of it's time, and relevant today. If you haven't heard this, do yourself a favor and put some headphones on or loud in the ride.
These guys all speak for themselves
Geto Boys
Scarface
Outkast

Man I missed a lot of good discussion road tripping this past week, lol. Cuban Links and The Infamous are both at least in my top 10, maybe top 5 albums all time. I have zero problems playing classics often, one of my go to's is PE, Yo Bum Rush the Show, one of the most ahead of it's time albums ever, could've came out last week imo. DW got me thinking about my south list, I'm thinking;
UGK...I was down in TX like the week Pocket Full of Stones dropped and I brought it back up to NY, I like to think I had to be the first to bring it up there haha.

8Ball & MJG...Comin Out Hard was incredible, but On Top of the World is an all timer, the production and lyrics and depth just insane. I played it last week and talk about ahead of it's time, and relevant today. If you haven't heard this, do yourself a favor and put some headphones on or loud in the ride.
These guys all speak for themselves
Geto Boys
Scarface
Outkast
On Top of the World is ridiculous, agreed! Haven’t played that in more than a few years, might have to change that soon.

AZ has not lost a step. It’s amazing. He’s still great. Album is really good IMO.

my only complaints: too many songs with only 2 AZ verses. No need for Ross or Wayne IMO. Just give us another AZ verse. He’s better. Dave East was good on the hook, but could’ve done without his verse too. That would’ve been the song for a Nas verse if anything.

Also the mix on Check Me Out is off. It’s way too quiet and flat. Which is a shame because I absolutely love that beat.

I really like the album though, I played it all weekend.
Agree with your complaints on the album!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom