Hip Hop thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

I've never done one and there's no way I can do my final "list". Maybe by the time I'm 60 I'll be ready. The one's for sure that are there;
Nas...Illmatic
Public Enemy...Yo Bum Rush the Show
Mobb Deep...The Infamous
NWA...Straight Outta Compton
Dr. Dre... The Chronic
Biggie...Ready to Die
Raekwon...Only Built for Cuban Linx
Eric B and Rakim...Paid in Full
BDP...Criminal Minded
Public Enemy...It Takes a Nation of Millions..
and many many more...

Mobb Deep - The Infamous was definitely the album me and all my wannabe hard pre-teen friends were bumpin.

Shook Ones Part II gets spin at least once a week.

I’m a sucker for nostalgia.
I admittedly have a bit of a penchant for liking everybody’s “other” biggest hit - be it song or album...but Survival of the Fittest goes even harder.

“There’s a war going on outside no man is safe from????”

“You can run but you can’t hide forever from these...streets that we done took...you walking with your head down scared to look...you shook...cause ain’t no...”

The beat!!!

The heartbeats going during the beat!!

Even the video.

I admittedly have a bit of a penchant for liking everybody’s “other” biggest hit - be it song or album...but Survival of the Fittest goes even harder.

“There’s a war going on outside no man is safe from????”

“You can run but you can’t hide forever from these...streets that we done took...you walking with your head down scared to look...you shook...cause ain’t no...”

The beat!!!

The heartbeats going during the beat!!

Even the video.

Sugar Rashad Evans’ walkout music back in the day.

Sugar Rashad Evans’ walkout music back in the day.
While we’re on Mobb Deep, I got a special place for Quiet Storm. What a freakin time. “I put my life time in between the paper’s lines. I’m the quiet storm ____ who fight rhyme.”

What?!!! “Fight rhyme”??? A cooler phrase did not exist. P always had the best opening bars to his verses.

The remix with Kim was great too because she killed her verse, but the original?? Smh.

Mobb Deep - The Infamous was definitely the album me and all my wannabe hard pre-teen friends were bumpin.
Album just put you in a mood... Just one of my favs all time. Didn't put it on my list, but man this album just hit!

Yeah, it was impossible not to. Even all my hard core knuckle head friends out west that weren't shy about not liking "east coast hip hop" loved it. That spoke volumes to me.
Had too... it was like east coast dudes when Chronic dropped.

Ok, I’ll tune in for this.

Don't know if I can even watch this one!! I'm gonna be like a giddy lil kid watching my all time Fav MC (Kris) vs one of my favorites all time (BDK)!

Some beautiful, soulful, introspective hip hop.

This song was in my head all day... My joint! Just memories..

So, last night I went to the Stove God Cooks and Conway show, a Drumwork production. This wasn't my friends spot or promotion. Have to rep, so Syracuse hoodie and hat. I walk in and within 2 min a young guy comes up asking if I'm from Cuse etc etc. He asks if I remember Damone Brown, I laugh, he's his cousin. Btw, just this week, the venue just started proof of vax or a test within 72 hrs to get in. So add in a Monday night and there you have it, the crowd wasn't as big as it would've been, but the energy was way more than I expected. I timed it right to avoid the opening acts, within 20 min Cooks takes the stage. He had some mic issues but otherwise this place is known for a great sound system. He got rolling and he did really good. I couldn't believe this many people out here knew his lyrics etc. Good hype man, I don't like most, but he was smooth and wasn't overbearing.

So Cooks get's done with his set, makes his way through the crowd on the side, I don't think most noticed him at first, he walks further, then in my area and people are asking him to take pics etc. He sees me and I walk up and say, southside! (he's State and Burt) He's like yeah?! I said, grew up on West Colvin. His hype man is on the side of him talking to some people and Stove grabs him and said, Yo did you hear him?! So long story short his hype man blocked everyone out of the way and said, yeah you have to get a pic of you two, he grabs my phone and done. We made small talk a little bit and I said, right on for putting the city on. His reply, "It's time!"

So onto Conway. It was the best performance (not just saying that) that I've seen in a long time. I was surprised how charismatic he was. He even stepped off the stage into the crowd and did a track, it was crazy. I can't remember the last time I've seen that if ever. Some really young kid who was at the very front of the stage who had been rapping all the lyrics for like 3 tracks, Conway stopped the show and asked him his name. He brought the kid up on stage at the beginning of the next one and the kid of course knew all that one too. At the end Conway hugged him and told him how much he respected him and thanked him for supporting him, that kid will never forget that in life. Conway's sound was great, he performed a long time, had creative breaks, down to earth crushed it. He gave a lot of respect to Denver, the crowd etc. It's soo not like this at a lot of shows. Great night, no issues, everyone really was in a great vibe.

Butcher coming, Nov 15th, stay tuned

So, last night I went to the Stove God Cooks and Conway show, a Drumwork production. This wasn't my friends spot or promotion. Have to rep, so Syracuse hoodie and hat. I walk in and within 2 min a young guy comes up asking if I'm from Cuse etc etc. He asks if I remember Damone Brown, I laugh, he's his cousin. Btw, just this week, the venue just started proof of vax or a test within 72 hrs to get in. So add in a Monday night and there you have it, the crowd wasn't as big as it would've been, but the energy was way more than I expected. I timed it right to avoid the opening acts, within 20 min Cooks takes the stage. He had some mic issues but otherwise this place is known for a great sound system. He got rolling and he did really good. I couldn't believe this many people out here knew his lyrics etc. Good hype man, I don't like most, but he was smooth and wasn't overbearing.

So Cooks get's done with his set, makes his way through the crowd on the side, I don't think most noticed him at first, he walks further, then in my area and people are asking him to take pics etc. He sees me and I walk up and say, southside! (he's State and Burt) He's like yeah?! I said, grew up on West Colvin. His hype man is on the side of him talking to some people and Stove grabs him and said, Yo did you hear him?! So long story short his hype man blocked everyone out of the way and said, yeah you have to get a pic of you two, he grabs my phone and done. We made small talk a little bit and I said, right on for putting the city on. His reply, "It's time!"

So onto Conway. It was the best performance (not just saying that) that I've seen in a long time. I was surprised how charismatic he was. He even stepped off the stage into the crowd and did a track, it was crazy. I can't remember the last time I've seen that if ever. Some really young kid who was at the very front of the stage who had been rapping all the lyrics for like 3 tracks, Conway stopped the show and asked him his name. He brought the kid up on stage at the beginning of the next one and the kid of course knew all that one too. At the end Conway hugged him and told him how much he respected him and thanked him for supporting him, that kid will never forget that in life. Conway's sound was great, he performed a long time, had creative breaks, down to earth crushed it. He gave a lot of respect to Denver, the crowd etc. It's soo not like this at a lot of shows. Great night, no issues, everyone really was in a great vibe.

Butcher coming, Nov 15th, stay tuned
Love it! Good stuff.

I almost went out to Buffalo for Conway/Cooks a few weeks ago. Would’ve loved to see Conway in his hometown. But every hotel I checked in the city had no rooms(Bills were home - imagine that was a big factor). Would’ve had to find something out in the middle of nowhere and that’s no fun. Wish I planned ahead earlier.

Want to catch Benny in Poughkeepsie this Friday but the Cuse-Clemson game is that night. Really wish that was a Saturday game.

There’s just been so much sports on, and my Dodgers had a playoff game at the same time, so I haven’t gotten a chance to watch this yet.

But I’m looking forward to it.

Cooks interview on Hot 97.

Says he’s got two albums done - one with Roc Marciano, one with multiple producers(didn’t say who), and one of them will be out within the next two months.

This is my favorite album of the year because I keep coming back to it and I like/love every song.

Evidence and Conway, produced by Daringer. Raw. I love the “I wrote this...” to start every verse. These guys care and get the details right.

Check out Rome Streetz, Death and the Magician. DJ Muggs produced, not bad at all. Rome reminds me of a poor man's Big L, my all time favorite underrated rapper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom