Hip Hop thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

I’m a beat head. Kanye’s beats are boring af.

For one of your examples...off the grid literally sounds like the beat was made off my casio rapman I had back in the 90s

the hand claps.
The loud bass drops for no purpose
the auto tune sing style

im just not interested it in at all.

Yeah, I’ve posted before about how early, chipmunk soul Kanye was my favorite era of his. But I generally liked his beats up until that Cruel Summer album. That was the first Kanye project where I couldn’t appreciate the production at all. And generally since then, I haven’t liked most of it. And if I recall, others produced my favorites on TLOP - I know Madlib did “No More Parties in LA”. Can’t remember who did “Real Friends”.

I don’t expect much from Kanye rapping and frankly I don’t even really care. As long as the beats are good, I’m in. I haven’t listened to enough of this yet to be fair, but honestly i kinda ran out of steam and was kinda bored and underwhelmed.

Wow I see the absolute opposite

for one, i don’t like what Michael Jackson represented yet I loved this music. I don’t need to like the artist to like the art. I never have.

But what specific criticism on this board suggested they didn’t like the music for who he is and what he represents Vs that it sounds like what
imo he Is a dude that could be a musical genius, but instead hes just lazy. He strolls in the studio and hammers on a synth. No experimental instrumentation. very little chopping or sampling anymore. Just pots and pans drums, auto tune singin style rap, and bass drops and i see articles saying “it’s genius”.

really? ok. I guess so. If anything he gets a pass for being who he is
I feel like we listened to a different album, but I’ll agree that I don’t like auto-tune and I think the playboy carti/baby keem features are trash… although I like Junya for a workout track.

As far as pots and pans?… there’s literally one stretch w anything resembling that (end of Jail). And Jail pt 2 w DaBaby and Manson is way better than Jay-Z’s track.

The second half of the album is absolutely beautiful and is less hype, more soul. From “Remote Control” to “No Child Left Behind”, minus the random Pop Smoke track.

I do agree Kanye’s actual lyrics are hit or miss, but I don’t really listen to him expecting fire lyrical patterns/rhyme schemes. Jesus Lord is best I’ve heard Kanye in a while. I want production, passion and creativity, which he’s given us in Donda…. Again, my opinion.

I also believe the music plays better via the listening parties. The visuals accompany the cinematic sound of the album really well.

Last edited:
I feel like we listened to a different album, but I’ll agree that I don’t like auto-tune and I think the playboy carti/baby keem features are trash… although I like Junya for a workout track.

As far as pots and pans?… there’s literally one stretch w anything resembling that (end of Jail). And Jail pt 2 w DaBaby and Manson is way better than Jay-Z’s track.

The second half of the album is absolutely beautiful and is less hype, more soul. From “Remote Control” to “No Child Left Behind”, minus the random Pop Smoke track.

I do agree Kanye’s actual lyrics are hit or miss, but I don’t really listen to him expecting fire lyrical patterns/rhyme schemes. Jesus Lord is best I’ve heard Kanye in a while. I want production, passion and creativity, which he’s given us in Donda…. Again, my opinion.

I also believe the music plays better via the listening parties. The visuals accompany the cinematic sound of the album really well.
hurricane is pure pots and pans, mumble rap

also, more than half the album is him singing in auto tune

Moon appears to be a him and kudi singing jibberish in autotune with a melody he created in 2 minutes

Last edited:
hurricane is pure pots and pans, mumble rap

also, more than half the album is him singing in auto tune

Moon appears to be a him and kudi singing jibberish in autotune with a melody he created in 2 minutes
Haha, oh, we will NEVER agree because Hurricane and Moon are absolute classics.

Jesus Lord is probably the only song you’d like… part 2 has Jay Electronica and The Lox on it.

Come To Life has Tyler the Creator on the piano, and Tyler was heavy in a lot of the album production.

Only song I really liked that I listened to so far was the one with Westside and Conway on it...and that’s because I like Westside and Conway. Would rather hear them over Daringer or Alchemist though, lol. But it was a good look for them to be on the album so I’m glad Kanye did that.

Haha, oh, we will NEVER agree because Hurricane and Moon are absolute classics.

Jesus Lord is probably the only song you’d like… part 2 has Jay Electronica and The Lox on it.

Come To Life has Tyler the Creator on the piano, and Tyler was heavy in a lot of the album production.
All good. We can disagree, I just don’t like being suggested I didn’t listen to it or that I don’t like it for alternative reasons.

I didn’t like it. I don’t like it. I wish he did stuff i liked, because I loved his older stuff

This is my favorite from him.

I'm still bummed that I missed his show when he came to Buffalo in 2018. I was in Vegas for a bachelor party though, so at least I was doing something fun, I guess.

Speaking of which, this video was shot when he was in Buffalo (the cloudy skies are a dead giveaway). Woodlawn Beach, Niagara Falls HS, Fantasy Island and downtown Buffalo are all featured.

Speaking of which, this video was shot when he was in Buffalo (the cloudy skies are a dead giveaway). Woodlawn Beach, Niagara Falls HS, Fantasy Island and downtown Buffalo are all featured.

I’m hoping Syracuse native Stove God Cooks shoots a video in Cuse when his next album comes out. He’s built up a nice buzz...I bet his next album does really well. Would be cool to see a video in Cuse, though I don’t think he lives in Cuse anymore.

I’m hoping Syracuse native Stove God Cooks shoots a video in Cuse when his next album comes out. He’s built up a nice buzz...I bet his next album does really well. Would be cool to see a video in Cuse, though I don’t think he lives in Cuse anymore.

That would definitely be cool. That's a name I haven't heard before (maybe he was mentioned earlier in this thread and I missed it).

That would definitely be cool. That's a name I haven't heard before (maybe he was mentioned earlier in this thread and I missed it).
Can’t remember if I posted about him or not. His first album “Reasonable Drought” came out last year produced by Roc Marciano. I really enjoyed it. There’s a song called “Jim Boeheim” on it. It has nothing to do with Jim Boeheim, lol.

He’s all over Westside Gunn’s new album, and IMO kinda steals the show on an album full of strong features.

He mostly raps about crack, but he does it in an entertaining way - he says something witty or funny like every few lines IMO. Unique flows and delivery too IMO. I believe he’s a Henninger grad.

Can’t remember if I posted about him or not. His first album “Reasonable Drought” came out last year produced by Roc Marciano. I really enjoyed it. There’s a song called “Jim Boeheim” on it. It has nothing to do with Jim Boeheim, lol.

He’s all over Westside Gunn’s new album, and IMO kinda steals the show on an album full of strong features.

He mostly raps about crack, but he does it in an entertaining way - he says something witty or funny like every few lines IMO. Unique flows and delivery too IMO. I believe he’s a Henninger grad.

Looked him up and came across this:

Guess he does have a little buzz around him.

Haven't heard him... Got some links??

My best albums of the year so far:

Topaz Jones - Don’t Go Tellin Your Mama
- I’d never heard of him. I love this album though. Mixes a lot of different musical styles. My favorite song that I couldn’t stop playing:

Skyzoo - All the Brilliant Things. Production gets a little repetitive after awhile but he’s rapping on an extremely high level as always. He’s got that Common, Posdnous thing where you’ll catch something years later.

Evidence - Unlearning Vol. 1 - Very cohesive album. An easy listen. Evidence always brings the relatable content.
Wow, i slept on the skyzoo album. Listening on repeat

the production is right up my alley.

Wow, i slept on the skyzoo album. Listening on repeat

the production is right up my alley.
Yeah, he’s one of those guys who I can say I think all of his albums are good. Incredibly consistent. The one he did with Pete Rock a couple years ago was my favorite.

I need to dip into this thread more often. I’m spinning Mobb Deep’s The Infamous as I type; a complete hip-hop dinosaur, I’ve got to check some of the recent drops in this thread and evolve a bit.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to yell at some neighborhood teenagers that appear to be up to no good.

I need to dip into this thread more often. I’m spinning Mobb Deep’s The Infamous as I type; a complete hip-hop dinosaur, I’ve got to check some of the recent drops in this thread and evolve a bit.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to yell at some neighborhood teenagers that appear to be up to no good.
Haha. I had a stretch about 5 years back where I realized I was only listening to old rap and knew little of the new stuff.

I think The Infamous should always get played though - one of the best ever!

Haha. I had a stretch about 5 years back where I realized I was only listening to old rap and knew little of the new stuff.

I think The Infamous should always get played though - one of the best ever!
This auto tune mumble trash comes across more as pop. Doesn’t seem like real hip hop to me.

Damn kids.
B68F54F4-1AEF-4E16-9D25-5409DC9051C9.gif

This auto tune mumble trash comes across more as pop. Doesn’t seem like real hip hop to me.

Damn kids.
View attachment 205387
Couldn’t agree more. I don’t listen to any of that crap. Though I’m not mad at it. It’s just not for me.

One thing I’ve realized though: most of the new rap I listen to is either from older rappers who have been around forever or rappers who just recently started making their way up but are 30+ and grew up listening to the same rap we did.

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t listen to any of that crap. Though I’m not mad at it. It’s just not for me.

One thing I’ve realized though: most of the new rap I listen to is either from older rappers who have been around forever or rappers who just recently started making their way up but are 30+ and grew up listening to the same rap we did.
One thing I can say from the 36 Chambers tour a couple summers ago: don’t count out the old heads. Plenty of energy left in the old guard and the contemporary talent they influenced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom