Hip Hop thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

Check out Rome Streetz, Death and the Magician. DJ Muggs produced, not bad at all.
I’ve heard him rap, notably on the last WSG album and he really shined there IMO, but haven’t heard any of his albums yet.

Will check this out.

Check out Rome Streetz, Death and the Magician. DJ Muggs produced, not bad at all. Rome reminds me of a poor man's Big L, my all time favorite underrated rapper.
I like this. It’s solid.

Whenever I hear him rap I think how he raps like a mid-late 90s NYC rapper, so I can see your Big L comparison.

On a very loosely related side note, that Stove God interview I posted not too long ago, he was talking about Half-A-Mill was one of his favorite rappers. That era of rap - as a kid I think I naively just assumed that NY rap would always be like that.

Glad that some Upstate NY kids like Cooks, Griselda, and 38 Spesh who grew up on that rap are bringing that feeling back to the scene.

Caleb Plant has Conway coming out of the tunnel with him! He's doing 'Fear of God' for the entrance, hell yeah. Btw, Plant is a boxer from Tennessee fighting the pound for pound champ Canelo Alvarez from Mexico tonight.

Caleb Plant has Conway coming out of the tunnel with him! He's doing 'Fear of God' for the entrance, hell yeah. Btw Plant is a boxer from Tennessee fighting the pound for pound champ Canelo Alvarez from Mexico tonight.
Nice! Canelo vs. Floyd might’ve been the last boxing PPV I ordered.

If I had to pick one….my favorite album of all time.

So underrated. Soulful, lush beats, right down to the interludes.

Post a completely obscure gem.

This is an early 00’s track. LEGACY….he had the bugged out punchlines(with the occasional cringe one but many more that hit), and the deep content, absurdly good flow and voice IMO, and could write great topical songs. And had a production team behind him who were unknown at the time but are now pretty big names who get big placements on albums all the time(9th Wonder and Khrysis did his entire first album).

The line between making it and not making it can be so thin. Nobody knows Leg. Damn shame.

Doja Cat gives Phonte his props….unlike those cowards Drake and Kanye who were too insecure about possibly creating competition with a man far more talented than either of them. Respect to her for knowing the real and giving credit.

Doja Cat gives Phonte his props….unlike those cowards Drake and Kanye who were too insecure about possibly creating competition with a man far more talented than either of them. Respect to her for knowing the real and giving credit.

You like Elzhi - just curious....and as a bonus, a video with Meth :)

You like Elzhi - just curious...and as a bonus, a video with Meth :)

I do! Back in the day I listened to Slum Village a lot and his album The Preface.

Kinda lost track of him for much of the 10’s, but I liked his Jericho Jackson album with Khrysis quite a bit a few years ago. And more recently that 7 times Down, 8 Times Up album had some good songs I thought.

And since it’s been a few weeks since anything new caught my eye or ear, and I just got a haircut - another throwback classic.

I do! Back in the day I listened to Slum Village a lot and his album The Preface.

Kinda lost track of him for much of the 10’s, but I liked his Jericho Jackson album with Khrysis quite a bit a few years ago. And more recently that 7 times Down, 8 Times Up album had some good songs I thought.

tbh, don't know much about Drake/Phonte, and not giving him his due, but the version of Think Good Thoughts w/ Phonte & Elzhi is good. They are both clearly light years better than Drake.

Anyway, Murs is still pretty good - big crazy dreads now!

Speaking of Murs, this one still gets a lot of listens for me:

New Tory Lanez album may be the best R&B album I’ve ever heard.

The song “‘87 Stingray” is heaaattttttt

tbh, don't know much about Drake/Phonte, and not giving him his due, but the version of Think Good Thoughts w/ Phonte & Elzhi is good. They are both clearly light years better than Drake.

Anyway, Murs is still pretty good - big crazy dreads now!

Speaking of Murs, this one still gets a lot of listens for me:

So, Little Brother worked with Drake when he was a nobody. “Think Good Thoughts” was one of them. Drake was a huge LB and Phonte fan. Drake did thank him at an awards show as an “inspiration” at some point. Phonte was supposed to be on Drake’s 2011 album(whatever one that was). They recorded….it didn’t make the album. They’ve never done anything together since Drake really got “on”. To me, Drake is basically Diet Coke Phonte for basic bitches that don’t really like or understand music. More power to him for the career he’s had but….Phonte is way better and it annoys me that people don’t know it.

Similar story with Kanye, except Kanye didn’t even say Phonte’s name as an inspiration - he said “a guy from a group called Little Brother”. He big leagued him. He damn well knew his name - they made music together in their early days. Kanye was running with that “Everyman” steez early on and he didn’t want to share that shine with anyone…even though LB did it before him and arguably better.

Also, Kendrick opened for Little Brother on tour circa 2010. (I have no beef with Kendrick)

It’s just wild to me the levels they all made it too, and…I think Phonte is better than all of them. He can rap better than all of them, and sing way better than Drake.

Yeah, Murs has had a great career!

ssbriefcase
Rome Streetz and Alchemist!

Tana Talk 4 coming. Conway’s Shady Records album coming. Stove God should be coming! It’s gonna be a Griselda/Upstate NY takeover soon!

If you have Spotify, post your Spotify wrap up. If you have Apple and they do something similar now(not sure if they do?), post that.

Mine:
Artists listened to: 759
Minutes listened: 32,369
Top Artist: Little Brother (top 0.01% of listeners): 3,120 minutes

Top artists:
1. Little Brother
2. Evidence
3. Tanya Morgan
4. Big K.R.I.T.
5. Nas

Top songs:
1. Let It Roll Interlude - IamNobodi f/ Phonte
2. Lost in Time (Park Jams) - Evidence
3. Black Tame - Topaz Jones
4. The Return - Khrysis f/ Sean Boog
5. Light It Up - Little Brother

If you post yours, I will listen to your top 5 songs(if I have never heard them), and will listen to a song I’ve never heard from your top 5 artists.

If you have Spotify, post your Spotify wrap up. If you have Apple and they do something similar now(not sure if they do?), post that.

Mine:
Artists listened to: 759
Minutes listened: 32,369
Top Artist: Little Brother (top 0.01% of listeners): 3,120 minutes

Top artists:
1. Little Brother
2. Evidence
3. Tanya Morgan
4. Big K.R.I.T.
5. Nas

Top songs:
1. Let It Roll Interlude - IamNobodi f/ Phonte
2. Lost in Time (Park Jams) - Evidence
3. Black Tame - Topaz Jones
4. The Return - Khrysis f/ Sean Boog
5. Light It Up - Little Brother

If you post yours, I will listen to your top 5 songs(if I have never heard them), and will listen to a song I’ve never heard from your top 5 artists.

Artists listened to: 1,649
Minutes listened: 92,625

Top artists:
1. Kenny Hoopla
2. The Killers
3. Run the Jewels
4. Ocean Wisdom
5. Rise Against

Top songs:
1. how will i rest in peace if i'm buried by a highway - Kenny Hoopla
2. The Drive - Everyone You Know
3. I'll be out here - Mick Flannery
4. Prayer of the Refugee - Rise Against
5. Uproar - Lil Wayne, Swizz Beatz

This thing is always swayed wildly by playlists I sleep to - I'm never very happy with the results

I don't ever really listen to The Killers (I do like them), but I have a bunch of their songs on a playlist I sleep to a lot! Psychedelic Furs was way up last year using the same loophole! :) Cheaters!

It's not even hip-hop really...hmmm, I may move this into the other thread. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom