Hip Hop thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

I don’t think I belong in this thread. Y’all stay hyping the most boring music like Nas new album (which nosedived after the first couple songs) and then hate on Donda.

Donda reminds me a lot of TLOP, which I thought was phenomenal.

Off the Grid
Hurricane
Believe what I say
Moon
Heaven and Hell
Jesus Lord
Lord I need You
Pure Souls
Come to Life

All great songs. Come to Life rivals Runaway, IMO.

Lol. And you stay hyping...Kanye, while seemingly not even listening to any other music.

It’s ok, not everybody likes the same things.

At least DJcon explained why he didn’t like it. That’s not “hating”.

Lol. And you stay hyping...Kanye, while seemingly not even listening to any other music.

It’s ok, not everybody likes the same things.

At least DJcon explained why he didn’t like it. That’s not “hating”.
It’s not that serious… we clearly have different tastes.

I listen to plenty of other music. Heavier stuff from rock bands like Ice Nine Kills and Bring Me The Horizon to R&B like dvsn and Majid Jordan.

As far as hip hop goes.. I am definitely more into the music coming out of Atlanta, Rick Ross vibes and the experimental stuff Kanye does over more old school type hip hop like Nas and J Cole.

Listened to Donda this AM, I’m all excited hoping it’s the return of old ye...and then...oooof..the hottest of garbage.

autotune, casio drums, and bass drops. No thanks. I’m good.

the Lauren Hill sample is good tho and Jay z’s verse
also I swear Jay electronica does the same lines in every song
I'm just not feeling Kanye anymore and haven't in a while. The last song of his that I actually liked was "no church in the wild".

Nas new album is killing this, really liked Lauren's verse on "Nobody".

I don’t think I belong in this thread ha. Y’all stay hyping the most boring music like Nas new album (which nosedived after the first couple songs) and then hate on Donda.

Off the Grid
Hurricane
Believe what I say
Moon
Heaven and Hell
Jesus Lord
Lord I need You
Pure Souls
Come to Life

I’m a beat head. Kanye’s beats are boring af.

For one of your examples...off the grid literally sounds like the beat was made off my casio rapman I had back in the 90s

the hand claps.
The loud bass drops for no purpose
the auto tune sing style

im just not interested it in at all.

another song “24” is literally a gospel song.

don’t care about the god content. I loved Jesus walks

but why would someone listen to that if they want hip hop?

if you like it, cool beans, you can like it. i just hoped for a Kanye hip hop album again.

I don’t think I belong in this thread ha. Y’all stay hyping the most boring music like Nas new album (which nosedived after the first couple songs) and then hate on Donda.

Off the Grid
Hurricane
Believe what I say
Moon
Heaven and Hell
Jesus Lord
Lord I need You
Pure Souls
Come to Life

He's gotten to weird to even pay attention to what he's saying... He's like Bret Favre (from a Bears man) he's got some great stuff, classics even... but towards the end he was just throwing up balls while Nas is like Brady, timeless!

The thing that I love about Nas is that all his stuff is not for the radio, and you have to actually listen to what he's saying, his lyrics, word play, story telling or message. Same thing with DMX which is why I put him ahead of both Big and Pac on my GOAT list. Nas and J are also on that list. I wouldn't put Ye in my top 30.

Things like the album Intro make me wonder if Kanye is trolling or if this is parody.

Especially when you look at the credits and see “written by” and “produced by”. Lol. The hell did he write or produce?

It’s not that serious… we clearly have different tastes.

I listen to plenty of other music. Heavier stuff from rock bands like Ice Nine Kills and Bring Me The Horizon to R&B like dvsn and Majid Jordan.

As far as hip hop goes.. I am definitely more into the music coming out of Atlanta, Rick Ross vibes and the experimental stuff Kanye does over more old school type hip hop like Nas and J Cole.
That's cool, tells what you look for.

I'm old school NY hip hop... Talking DJ, beats, rhymes, lyrics, wordplay and style. I do mess with some Outkast but not to much southern stuff. I like Face out of Houston and several Calli groups over the years including Cube, Spice 1 and MC8, Snoop. Last new group/style I like is Mobb Deep, Wu, LOX (Jada that dude! Top 5 living MC).

He's gotten to weird to even pay attention to what he's saying... He's like Bret Favre (from a Bears man) he's got some great stuff, classics even... but towards the end he was just throwing up balls while Nas is like Brady, timeless!

The thing that I love about Nas is that all his stuff is not for the radio, and you have to actually listen to what he's saying, his lyrics, word play, story telling or message. Same thing with DMX which is why I put him ahead of both Big and Pac on my GOAT list. Nas and J are also on that list. I wouldn't put Ye in my top 30.
ye is still in my top producers of all time list.

I just wonder how much of his early stuff was just him copying qtip and dilla...then he’ll drop ”ghost town” a couple years ago which was fire and I think he just wants to be weird. Which, again, is cool, but not for me.

Things like the album Intro make me wonder if Kanye is trolling or if this is parody.

Especially when you look at the credits and see “written by” and “produced by”. Lol. The hell did he write or produce?
He played “GD Anthem” in Chicago at his last listening party, so he’s clearly trolling. Random meme sample at the end of Remote Control for some reason.

He’s definitely frustrating, even as a huge fan of his, but his music makes me feel actual emotion - and I’m not getting that from random trap artists, old head lyricists or Drake’s goofy ass (even though I do like his music).

Whether it’s a song like “Wolves” off TLOP, “Ghost Town” off Ye, “Reborn” off KSG or “Moon”, “Jesus Lord”, “Come to Life” off Donda, this dude actually makes emotional music.

He played “GD Anthem” in Chicago at his last listening party, so he’s clearly trolling. Random meme sample at the end of Remote Control for some reason.

He’s definitely frustrating, even as a huge fan of his, but his music makes me feel actual emotion - and I’m not getting that from random trap artists, old head lyricists or Drake’s goofy ass (even though I do like his music).
There’s a lot more out there than that though. In fact, there’s so much out there now(easier to make and release music than ever - people record albums in their houses now), that it’s daunting to even know where to start or how to keep up IMO.

Some of my newer favorite “feel something” songs:

Honestly, Tyler’s the new kanye for me.
his latest is one of my favorites of the year

Y’all stay hyping the most boring music like Nas new album
We were doing pretty much the opposite of what you’re accusing. Lol. I don’t stick up for anyone at any cost and pretend everything they do is the greatest. I stay out of the majority of the Kanye convo because I don’t have anything good to say about him, but I realize other people like him. But I did start this thread because I was tired of seeing the Kanye thread name every time I wanted to talk hip hop.

That's cool, tells what you look for.

I'm old school NY hip hop... Talking DJ, beats, rhymes, lyrics, wordplay and style. I do mess with some Outkast but not to much southern stuff. I like Face out of Houston and several Calli groups over the years including Cube, Spice 1 and MC8, Snoop. Last new group/style I like is Mobb Deep, Wu, LOX (Jada that dude! Top 5 living MC).
Seen Spice 1 and MC8. We just had Mac Mall out here last month and having Brotha Lynch in a few weeks. Love my underground west coast as well as my east coast stuff. Btw you posted Kool G Rap last night, he’s my #1 most underrated ever.

We were doing pretty much the opposite of what you’re accusing. Lol. I don’t stick up for anyone at any cost and pretend everything they do is the greatest. I stay out of the majority of the Kanye convo because I don’t have anything good to say about him, but I realize other people like him. But I did start this thread because I was tired of seeing the Kanye thread name every time I wanted to talk hip hop.
Who’s defending him at any cost? I legitimately like his music. Most agree on his early stuff, up to MBDTF.

IMO: Yeezus and TLOP were phenomenal. Ye, KSG and JIK all had some good songs, although JIK and Ye weren’t my favorites. I think Donda is incredible.

I get that his music isn’t for everyone, but I think a lot of his critics hate on him for who he is, and what he represents over his actual music.

,Seen Spice 1 and MC8. We just had Mac Mall out here last month and having Brotha Lynch in a few weeks. Love my underground west coast as well as my east coast stuff. Btw you posted Kool G Rap last night, he’s my #1 most underrated ever.
You know how many people don't know about Spice 1?? Him and MC8! Did they do a show? Love the underground stuff!

Kool G Rap... Those that know, will tell you he's a Old School GOAT!

Who’s defending him at any cost? I legitimately like his music. Most agree on his early stuff, up to MBDTF.

IMO: Yeezus and TLOP were phenomenal. Ye, KSG and JIK all had some good songs, although JIK and Ye weren’t my favorites. I think Donda is incredible.

I get that his music isn’t for everyone, but I think a lot of his critics hate on him for who he is, and what he represents over his actual music.

Wow I see the absolute opposite

for one, i don’t like what Michael Jackson represented yet I loved this music. I don’t need to like the artist to like the art. I never have.

But what specific criticism on this board suggested they didn’t like the music for who he is and what he represents Vs that it sounds like what
imo he Is a dude that could be a musical genius, but instead hes just lazy. He strolls in the studio and hammers on a synth. No experimental instrumentation. very little chopping or sampling anymore. Just pots and pans drums, auto tune singin style rap, and bass drops and i see articles saying “it’s genius”.

really? ok. I guess so. If anything he gets a pass for being who he is

Wow I see the absolute opposite

for one, i don’t like what Michael Jackson represented yet I loved this music. I don’t need to like the artist to like the art. I never have.

But what specific criticism on this board suggested they didn’t like the music for who he is and what he represents Vs that it sounds like what
imo he Is a dude that could be a musical genius, but instead hes just lazy. He strolls in the studio and hammers on a synth. No experimental instrumentation. very little chopping or sampling anymore. Just pots and pans drums, auto tune singin style rap, and bass drops and i see articles saying “it’s genius”.

really? ok. I guess so. If anything he gets a pass for being who he is
That's the thing about hip hop... The best ones connect with you because of who they are, especially if they actually represent what they rap about and represent their craft. That's why in the 80/90s you could like BDP, NWA, EPMD, UTFO, PE, Kid and Play, Fresh Prince, Tribe or De La... They all did their thing even when it was different, but you could still connect with them. I ain't mad at anybody if they like Ye, he just not my thing.

Two weeks ago I watched Jada give a show that flashed me back to how they really did it in the park or on the stage back in the day... You can't mumble rap, talk about your Benz our making pies when a dude is lighting you up verbally, and grabs the crowd... That's an MC to me.. Old Ye (Yep), New Ye (????)

Yeah, I was excited for new Nas as always, and I liked the album but I don’t think I really hyped it like that - and I don’t remember anyone else doing so either.

You know how many people don't know about Spice 1?? Him and MC8! Did they do a show? Love the underground stuff!

Kool G Rap... Those that know, will tell you he's a Old School GOAT!
No I didn't see them together, they have done shows together though. Yeah I don't expect many outside of the west coast to know Spice 1, let alone someone like C-BO. I missed Mac Mall , 'My Opinion' one of my all timers. but heard the show was good. A real good friend of mine is the main hip hop promoter in Denver, he's from south central, LA so we get all the west coast people all the time, on a different note Can't wait to hear how much he paid Slick Rick. Eiht was here Aug 5th, I missed that one too, but he likes coming here, so I'll catch him next time. I was disappointed with him though in his new one with Conway, 'Honcho'

Last edited:
That's the thing about hip hop... The best ones connect with you because of who they are, especially if they actually represent what they rap about and represent their craft. That's why in the 80/90s you could like BDP, NWA, EPMD, UTFO, PE, Kid and Play, Fresh Prince, Tribe or De La... They all did their thing even when it was different, but you could still connect with them. I ain't mad at anybody if they like Ye, he just not my thing.

Two weeks ago I watched Jada give a show that flashed me back to how they really did it in the park or on the stage back in the day... You can't mumble rap, talk about your Benz our making pies when a dude is lighting you up verbally, and grabs the crowd... That's an MC to me.. Old Ye (Yep), New Ye (????)
How was Jada? I might have a chance to get him out here if he's not asking something crazy, but he just might be. If he's performing good, I'm gonna have to put the good word in for him, because he's on my list to see.

How was Jada? I might have a chance to get him out here if he's not asking something crazy, but he just might be. If he's performing good, I'm gonna have to put the good word in for him, because he's on my list to see.
Newsflash after the show... what ever you are paying Jada and the LOX, it just doubled. If you do nothing else, watch the vs... He/Lox bodied Dipset... His flow is like a hoopty with nice rims!! Straight up Trus and Vos!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom