Hire a coach and pay him | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hire a coach and pay him

I forgot, where did Mac come from?

And P was here for 4 years before he got the job, I guess that doesn't count.

Marrone turned 10-37 into 25-25 from nothing.

So what's your point?

The population of SU coaches are NFL and P5 coordinators and AAC, CUSA, and MAC HC's.

That's it, that's the list.

And there are plenty of "names" in that group.

Don't sleep on Matt Patricia. D coordinator from the Patriots. Local guy who would be a huge step up

The O scored 10 points on its own today. Why does Lester "get it" if most of the production is improvisation from Dungey?

Against a team (If I recall the stat correctly) which was giving up 35.8 points/game, and whose D ranked last in the ACC and the bottom of the NCAA.

Even if we go 3-9, I say stay the course. We were never expected to be good this year anyway. 3-9, 5-7...it really doesn't make much difference.

Our best playmakers are all freshmen and sophomores, and we just got our most heralded offensive recruit in probably 20 years or maybe more.

As ridiculous as today's loss was, I still think we can have pretty good teams that are exciting to watch from 2016-2018 with Dungey at the helm and lots of playmakers around him.
Stop making sense

Short List of REALISTIC names who could come here and be our Head Coach if offered

-Matt Campbell
-Mark Whipple
-Justin Fuente
-Ruffin McNeil
-Bryan Harsin

Short List of REALISTIC names who could come here and be our Head Coach if offered

-Matt Campbell
-Mark Whipple
-Justin Fuente
-Ruffin McNeil
-Bryan Harsin

That is a bad list. Whipple isn't good enough. Fuente isn't realistic. mcNeil isn't good enough. Harsin is a long shot at best.

-Matt Campbell
-Mark Whipple
-Justin Fuente
-Ruffin McNeil
-Bryan Harsin

I am in on Fuente.

image.jpeg

That is a bad list. Whipple isn't good enough. Fuente isn't realistic. mcNeil isn't good enough. Harsin is a long shot at best.
I would love to see your list of guys. Who do you think is coming here? Nobody from a P5 conference is leaving there job. What you want Randy Edsall? Joe Philbin? Who? An NFL assistant who has never recruited in his life or hasn't recruited in like 10 years and is out of touch? Wait, you want an assistant from a p5 conference...don't we have that now? So more growing pains with a first time head coach? Name names of who you think is beating down the door to coach at Syracuse

I don't think you retain Shafer merely to keep his recruits. In general, yes - some current players will transfer but it's not like we're talking about top 25 classes that we're trying to keep intact. Also, it's certainly possible for a new coach to bring his top recruits with him from his previous school so maybe it's a wash. Lastly, just because you can bring in talent doesn't mean the coach can win games with them. Hasn't that been the complaint with Mike London for so many years? Good recruits but the on field results didn't match expectations. If we're keeping Shafer for his recruits but he never wins with them, isn't this the same situation as Mike London? And what if a new coach is able to take the existing talent/players and do more with them than Shafer? Harbaugh is winning with Hoke's players. McElwain is winning with Muschamp's players...

If the administration really believes in Shafer and he's meeting their expectations, then keep him. But mediocre recruiting should not be the only thing to look at.

Stern said:
Short List of REALISTIC names who could come here and be our Head Coach if offered -Matt Campbell -Mark Whipple -Justin Fuente -Ruffin McNeil -Bryan Harsin
Matt Rhule should be on top of that list. Or a Briles disciple like Montgomery. That's if we're looking for a coach. I have always been on the fence with Shafer, and think he needs to improve his in-game management, but I can't put this loss totally on him. Same with last week with the stupid penalty. At some point players need to be accountable. This sucks right now, but this really feels like 1 of those seasons where we are going to be close, and see the potential , and in the next 2 years is when we are the ones winning with the experienced plAyers. I wouldn't mind seeing Daoust ending up DC though. I'd rather keep him and get rid of Bulkough if we are to lose Daoust.

I have always been on the fence with Shafer, and think he needs to improve his in-game management,
In game management for a head coach is something you either got or don't got...can't be learned in my opinion

Matt Rhule should be on top of that list. Or a Briles disciple like Montgomery. That's if we're looking for a coach. I have always been on the fence with Shafer, and think he needs to improve his in-game management, but I can't put this loss totally on him. Same with last week with the stupid penalty. At some point players need to be accountable. This sucks right now, but this really feels like 1 of those seasons where we are going to be close, and see the potential , and in the next 2 years is when we are the ones winning with the experienced plAyers. I wouldn't mind seeing Daoust ending up DC though. I'd rather keep him and get rid of Bulkough if we are to lose Daoust.

Rhule would be good if he is not taken up by another school. I don't think Montgomery would be a good hire. It is possible he could be at SU for only 1 year ala Todd Graham.

I bet rhule makes close to shafer already, and here lies my point. Champagne taste on a mils best budget

Lipstick on a pig won't get it done

billorange44 said:
No more MAC coaches or NFL assistants or coaches from Central Connecticut State. Hire a name.

Are you going to buck up for that name? Those names that get the big contracts are paid partially by donors.

Hiring some of the guys people suggest would be goig backward on Shafer. Polini and Edsall are prime examples of meat head football coaches stuck in 1980s style football. We just start to improve our recruiting and you guys want to start over. Starting over would probably guarantee you another 3-9 next year, because the new guy won't be able to keep all the players, or the recruits. We need to stop hitting the reset button. These guys aren't ready to win yet, especially on D, but the talents there.

Last edited:
Hiring some of the guys people suggest would be goig backward on Shafer. Polini and Edsall are prime examples of meat head football coaches stuck in 1980s style football. We just start to improve our recruiting and you guys want to start over. Starting over would probably guarantee you another 3-9 next year, cause the new guy won't be able to keep all the players, or the recruits. We need to stop hitting the reset button. These guys aren't ready to win yet, especially on D, but the talents there.

I agree. I'm not tearing everything down 2.5 seasons in to bring in some green coordinator.

Most vacancies don't offer three years of dungey. Pull the plug. Job is as attractive as its gonna get

Current players aren't transferring is thee is a HC change. We would certainly lose most of our verbals but the NCAA is set up to prevents players from leaving a school when a coach is fired.

You have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. Kids just won't do that.

Dungey of all people is the last guy who would want to transfer.

I'm not in the camp that we should clean house and start over. We just got a 5 star recruit, when was the last time that happened? Today's loss sucked, I'm with you there. Maybe those people swinging the axes tonight should post what they do for a living so we can all critique it. Damn, wouldn't that be fun?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom