Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

My son started doing Air Alert 3 a couple weeks ago. So I'm joining him. Just finished week 2. If I last the full 15 weeks, I'm going to be close to dunking, if my fast-twitch muscles can be rewoken...

Still doing my lifting routine as well 3 times per week (or so...).

My son started doing Air Alert 3 a couple weeks ago. So I'm joining him. Just finished week 2. If I last the full 15 weeks, I'm going to be close to dunking, if my fast-twitch muscles can be rewoken...

I gave up my dunking dreams about 35.

I gave up my dunking dreams about 35.
I had always hoped I would get it done by the time I was 50. I'm 51 and the pandemic hits, so you adapt.

But I seriously doubt I get it. But the looks on the other guys faces when I block their shyte into the bleachers will be worth the work.

VT Fan in 15 weeks...
1586546873143.png

So, I've settled into a three day cycle:

Day 1 -

Timed Mile - 5 mins rest
4 Timed 400s - 2 mins rest
4 Timed 200s - 1 min rest
4 timed 100s - 30 secs rest

Adding to this slowly. This can be modified to add different distances: 2 mile, 800. Also number of reps can be modified - 6 400s, 8 200s etc...

Day 2 -

1 min jumping rope - No rest
pushups - No rest
core - No rest
MMA sequence - kicks, punches, combos, -- No rest
Yoga pose as stretches to loosen extreme tightness from intervals - Serves as rest before next cycle...

Up to 8 cycles (about 1 hour and 10 mins). When I get to 10 cycles, will up the time on the jumping rope, the reps on pushups and core

Day 3 -

Yoga - 75 mins

Sun Salutations - Hold for 30 secs each pose
Chair sequence - Hold for 1 Min each pose
Flow sequence - Hold for 1 Min each pose
Balance sequence - Hold for 1 Min each pose
Ground sequence - Hold for 1 Min each pose

Having a boxing timer really helps with this...

My legs fully recover from intervals in 3 days so this sequence works...
Up to 10 cycles on Day 2 workout...

I will say this.

Sparring is the most exhausting form of exercise.

Intervals are also brutal but jumping rope is right there.

After doing Day 1 and Day 2 back to back, I feel like a block of cement on Day 3 when I start yoga.

Up to 10 cycles on Day 2 workout...

I will say this.

Sparring is the most exhausting form of exercise.

Intervals are also brutal but jumping rope is right there.

After doing Day 1 and Day 2 back to back, I feel like a block of cement on Day 3 when I start yoga.

Search 'Breathe and Flow' on YouTube. They have some pretty good yoga practices including some that are specifically for jiu jitsu. I've been doing yoga 5-7 days along with biking, pushups and pullups.

Search 'Breathe and Flow' on YouTube. They have some pretty good yoga practices including some that are specifically for jiu jitsu. I've been doing yoga 5-7 days along with biking, pushups and pullups.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Yoga 5-7 days? How long do you practice for each day?

Usually 45 to 50 minutes sometimes 60 minutes. I'm old and relatively new to yoga so I'm not ready for the 75 minutes you practice.

I've dropped 15lbs since XMas (223 to 208 lbs) Intermittent Fasting (doing about 3 times a week) Had been working out at a Planet Fitness 5-6 times a week until it closed last week. Actually increased some muscle mass while decreasing my gut.

Now I'm doing
Body weight exercises and using 2x12 lbs dumbbells (all I had at home). Great though still for Delts, Arms and deadlift

I've been doing this workout (most of it) every other day and supplementing with my dumbbells. Watching the video and thinking this guy will be dead after breaking his window...

Running the off days... mostly about a 2.5 mile jog with some bursts of fast running. In Florida, the only Hill work is running the Pinellas Trail and running up and over a huge highway intersection.

Can't wait to get back to the gym
Update kinda long

Still intermittent fasting 3-4 times a week. You can easily lose 1-2 lbs a week without trying too hard. You just need eating discipline.

I'm down to 203 lbs (from 208 a few weeks ago). BTW, I'm a tad shy of 6'4" and I graduated HS over 40 years ago. Yes you can do this in your 50s and 60s. Obviously talk to your doctor if you have questions.

What I love best is I don't particularly freak over what I eat in my eating window. My muscle mass actually is a tad better than 20lbs ago (when I started exercising at XMas time). My gut is mostly gone and a "V" has returned in part. The gut and lower back is my spot where all my fat goes. My new goal is 195lbs which I think is doable. Ask me at 195lbs about going for a 6 pack. That is my reach goal. I may never get there but that is okay.

I'm doing bodyweight exercises and all I had at home is a pair of 12lbs dumbbells when the quarantine started. So I'm slowing the dumbbell reps way down and increasing the numbers. Not the fastest exercise session though. I still get a pretty effective exercise for arms with them.

After the lockdown ends:

I've done the research. For me these are the best home workout dumbbells. Or in my case they will head up to my camp for the summer.

Unfortunately they are sold out. Don't overpay on the secondary market. You should be able to get them for well under $350 once the quarantine is lifted. They only go up to 50lbs but that covers most movements for home workouts. For guys over 45-50...you have to realize going super heavy isn't usually your friend.

For supplements: I'm taking creatine 5 grams a day. Muscletech platinum creatine at Amazon is a great deal at under $10. It'll last for 2-3 months. I also use a recovery ON brand whey protein isolate (Costco). BTW, creatine is safe. I also take several other things like vitamins, etc...

So, what does everyone listen to while working out?

I listen to heavy stuff, new station out of Plattsburgh, PLA.
I have a YouTube Premium account. I listen to music off it. I have eclectic tastes: Zeppelin, Blues, Moby, Eluvium, Americana, EDM (thanks to my son)

I even listen to my son's music releases.

Last edited:
Just curious - what are the logistics of your intermittent fasting bouts?
That's something I've toyed with trying.

(I'm not 'overweight' by any means, but could stand to lose my 5lbs of "winter training weight", now that Spring has sprung)

Can't believe that dude hasn't launched himself thru that window yet! :p

Just curious - what are the logistics of your intermittent fasting bouts?
That's something I've toyed with trying.

(I'm not 'overweight' by any means, but could stand to lose my 5lbs of "winter training weight", now that Spring has sprung)

Can't believe that dude hasn't launched himself thru that window yet! :p

Thomas Delauer has a ton of YouTube videos on fasting. He goes way overboard on food but the guy had like a 5% body fat mass and lives in SoCal.

Essentially if you are younger. Fast almost daily for 18 hours. Older than 45-50...go 3-4 times a week for closer to 20 hours. The longer the better.

I try to fast going into my heavy workout day. Stop eating by 7pm Try to eat again at 3pm. Really anything over 18 hours is beneficial. Hardest part is not to gorge out coming off the fast. I usually work out around 1-2:30pm and eat afterwards.

Once work starts again if you are a office type worker...skip breakfast and take a late lunch will help. The whole key is stop eating after dinner.

Keep your fluids to water, black coffee or unsweetened tea during the fast.

Last edited:

That is a lot. You don't get sore? Yoga may be great for flexibility but it also works a ton of muscles. I cannot practice everyday because I am actually sore after a yoga workout...

That is a lot. You don't get sore? Yoga may be great for flexibility but it also works a ton of muscles. I cannot practice everyday because I am actually sore after a yoga workout...

I don't get sore very often from yoga, if I do I dial it back. If my gym was open I would only practice 2 to 4 times a week.

Maybe your other workouts tighten you up between your yoga practice. What if you changed the order of your workouts or even added a shorter yoga practice between your other 2 training days?

I don't get sore very often from yoga, if I do I dial it back. If my gym was open I would only practice 2 to 4 times a week.

Maybe your other workouts tighten you up between your yoga practice. What if you changed the order of your workouts or even added a shorter yoga practice between your other 2 training days?
How long do you hold your poses?

When I do a flow sequence...high lunge, warrior 1, warrior 2, peaceful warrior, side lunge, triangle, half moon...I am holding each pose for 60 seconds trying to get my knee as close to 90 degrees as possible...my quads, stabilizer muscles and thighs/hips are all screaming bloody murder by the time I finish one side...

My other workouts definitely tighten me up but the muscles that get sore during yoga are the ones that I am using the most during yoga (quads, hips/thighs, stabilizers), not the ones I'm using during my other workouts..they, on the other hand, loosen up substantially...

When I do a flow sequence...high lunge, warrior 1, warrior 2, peaceful warrior, side lunge, triangle, half moon...I am holding each pose for 60 seconds trying to get my knee as close to 90 degrees as possible...my quads, stabilizer muscles and thighs/hips are all screaming bloody murder by the time I finish one side...

My other workouts definitely tighten me up but the muscles that get sore during yoga are the ones that I am using the most during yoga (quads, hips/thighs, stabilizers), not the ones I'm using during my other workouts..they, on the other hand, loosen up substantially...

I use youtube videos for my practice so the time per pose varies. I would guess that most poses are held less than a minute. However, my quads, glutes and stabilizers scream a lot in the balancing poses too. I almost never do the same practice two times in a row. I've tried a couple of yin yoga videos with restorative poses that are up to 10 or 20 minutes, that's not for me.

Do you do the same sequence for every practice?

I use youtube videos for my practice so the time per pose varies. I would guess that most poses are held less than a minute. However, my quads, glutes and stabilizers scream a lot in the balancing poses too. I almost never do the same practice two times in a row. I've tried a couple of yin yoga videos with restorative poses that are up to 10 or 20 minutes, that's not for me.

Do you do the same sequence for every practice?
On my own, pretty much. But I do a ton of poses. It is 75 minutes of poses., no child's pose, no savasana, no meditation, no vinyasas, no rest...my regular in-class yoga class probably has somewhere around 45-50 minutes of poses...

On my own, pretty much. But I do a ton of poses. It is 75 minutes of poses., no child's pose, no savasana, no meditation, no vinyasas, no rest...my regular in-class yoga class probably has somewhere around 45-50 minutes of poses...

I've often got vinyasas thrown in, no meditation, child's poses are rare but I usually do one before I practice to get my 2 x's repaired knee to move and usually a short savasana at the end.

The site I told you to check out does have meditations at the end of some of the practices, I just found out today. I've only completed a few of these practices. The yoga for men series does not include very much if any meditation. I'm new to this site but I like the transitions between some of the poses like side plank to lunge.

Update kinda long

Still intermittent fasting 3-4 times a week. You can easily lose 1-2 lbs a week without trying too hard. You just need eating discipline.

I'm down to 203 lbs (from 208 a few weeks ago). BTW, I'm a tad shy of 6'4" and I graduated HS over 40 years ago. Yes you can do this in your 50s and 60s. Obviously talk to your doctor if you have questions.

What I love best is I don't particularly freak over what I eat in my eating window. My muscle mass actually is a tad better than 20lbs ago (when I started exercising at XMas time). My gut is mostly gone and a "V" has returned in part. The gut and lower back is my spot where all my fat goes. My new goal is 195lbs which I think is doable. Ask me at 195lbs about going for a 6 pack. That is my reach goal. I may never get there but that is okay.

I'm doing bodyweight exercises and all I had at home is a pair of 12lbs dumbbells when the quarantine started. So I'm slowing the dumbbell reps way down and increasing the numbers. Not the fastest exercise session though. I still get a pretty effective exercise for arms with them.

After the lockdown ends:

I've done the research. For me these are the best home workout dumbbells. Or in my case they will head up to my camp for the summer.

Unfortunately they are sold out. Don't overpay on the secondary market. You should be able to get them for well under $350 once the quarantine is lifted. They only go up to 50lbs but that covers most movements for home workouts. For guys over 45-50...you have to realize going super heavy isn't usually your friend.

For supplements: I'm taking creatine 5 grams a day. Muscletech platinum creatine at Amazon is a great deal at under $10. It'll last
So, what does everyone listen to while working out?

I listen to heavy stuff, new station out of Plattsburgh, PLA.
A few months ago I made the mistake listening to a bill burr podcast where he made me laugh so hard at the bottom of a heavy (for me) squat. Was a good way for me to check that the pins were set safely

Maybe it hurts me but I don't want to be pumped up by intense music, I just want to be stronger without getting into a weird state of mind

I got a dip station , very focused on pullups (good at chins, very bad at pull ups, very weak scapular muscles relative to everything else, weirdly small shoulder blades)

Last edited:
I'm trying to get back to where I can do 100 consecutive pushups. I've been trying off and on for the past few years but always get bored when I get to mid 80 range. Maybe I'll make it this time :)