Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

I do a lot of training normally. 5-6 days of weight training, metcon, CrossFit type of stuff.
Since quarantine I’ve been doing all body weight with a lot more running. After 5 weeks of great workouts and solid weight loss I got bit by some bad shin splints.
Shifting to the bike. I’ve never had it before and am surprised at how limiting it is even when walking. ( I’ve self diagnosed, and weMD tells me it was either shin splints or cancer)

I do a lot of training normally. 5-6 days of weight training, metcon, CrossFit type of stuff.
Since quarantine I’ve been doing all body weight with a lot more running. After 5 weeks of great workouts and solid weight loss I got bit by some bad shin splints.
Shifting to the bike. I’ve never had it before and am surprised at how limiting it is even when walking. ( I’ve self diagnosed, and weMD tells me it was either shin splints or cancer)

LOL to that last part
:p

WebMD prognosis for anything:
Something mundane, or CANCER! ;)

Get a foam roller and try rolling out the fronts of your calves, along with the backs.

None of us is getting any younger (and we’re all just water anyway :p ), so you generally need to add more self care to your routine, to be able to keep doing the stuff you want to do.

Have you thought about getting some new shoes?

I briefly had shin splints about 5 years ago. I had started running and doing a boot camp class(lots of jumping jacks, jumping, sprints, etc) after being largely inactive for a solid 6 months.

I also was wearing pretty old sneakers that were probably worn out.

I took it easy for a week or so, got new shoes, and then got back into it and they went away.

Not sure if it was my body adapting to it, the shoes, or a combo of both.

Last edited:
Me and the Mrs have started doing planks everyday increasing the time we do it each day,but it’s not fair she’s 80lbs lighter than me.

Have you thought about getting some new shoes?
I got some and frankly they came on the day I wore the new shoes. No doubt I was on my way and the timing may have been nothing more than coincidence. I also think that increase of body weight excercise has put an increased pressure won my legs and I need to stretch and roll more than my typical to 721comstock’s point.

I got some and frankly they came on the day I wore the new shoes. No doubt I was on my way and the timing may have been nothing more than coincidence. I also think that increase of body weight excercise has put an increased pressure won my legs and I need to stretch and roll more than my typical to 721comstock’s point.

Stick with the bike until the shin splints heal. Foam roller, stretching,rest and drink lots of water all will help.

I got shin splints 15 years ago while training for a marathon. I ignored them, took ibuprofen and kept training. The result was I missed the last month of training and could not walk without a painful limp. Not wanting to let family members down who made plans to travel and run I had one of the course medical people wrap my shin and with the help of a lot of ibuprofen I painfully and slowly hobbled 26.2 miles. The moral of the story is don't do stupid stuff like I did and listen to your body. I was 50 then and one would think I was old enough to know better but nooooo.

I bought a combo road and trail runner one year and they gave me plantar fasciitis almost immediately. Changed those out and have never had a recurrence. Shoes are so important. But I think the combo of the new shoes and increased activity/intensity is most likely what you are seeing.

This can be said about most running injuries, but is also so often true: "Maybe you had too much too fast."

And... I tweaked my back today playing hoops with my kid. I’ve been really good the last 4-5 weeks working out. So bummed, but hopeful it’s minor.

Getting old is awesome

Last edited:
And... I tweaked my back today playing hoops with my kid. I’ve been really good the last 4-5 weeks working out. So bummed, but hopeful it’s minor.

Getting old is awesome

As I always say - “getting old SUCKS!
... but it’s better than the alternative.”
;)

Since December I've been walking 5 mlies a day (16 min/mile). IF (16/8) and eating less.
That's been good for 2-3 lbs/week weight loss.

My avg heart rate is now around 110bpm for those 16 min/miles it was around 130-140 when I started in dec.

I'm on a 2 year health plan. I'd like to drop 50-70 more lbs, get my knees looked at (they are crunchy) and start playing 4's volleyball again (probably not BB level though).

Intermittent fasting paired with a 3 day per week intense progression based bodyweight routine. I have a pull up bar, dip bar as well as pushup/bodyweight shoulder press grips.
Rest days will consist of 10,000 steps/4 miles walked and around 15 mins of intense jump rope intervals.

Will win most eligible board member 2020

Even if you workout like a fiend, anytime you switch to something new that either utilizes new muscles or hits muscles in a different way, you have to ease in.

When you start something new, you don't get hurt right away, the injury usually happens in that 4-6 week period.

Take 2-4 (I always take at least 3 weeks off) weeks off then ease back in really slowly...as in run a lap (400M)..call it a day...see how you feel...feel good?...run 800M...

I am doing the steps from basement to first floor 100 x a day giving my wife the stuff she prints.. not getting much work done but keeping limber for golf.

Getting old is awesome
Unless you have disc issues, may not be your back...I "tweak" my back a lot. Pain is always lower middle. It is never my back. It is combo of tightness in hammies, IT Band, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus & obliques...

Ice and rest for a couple of days to allow swelling to subside then pigeon, half-seated ankle to knee, full seated ankle-knee, pyramid and other hammie stretches, and IT band stretches 2-3 times a day for 3 days with no other activity...then see how it feels...with that routine, mine goes away in 5-6 days total..

Intermittent fasting paired with a 3 day per week intense progression based bodyweight routine. I have a pull up bar, dip bar as well as pushup/bodyweight shoulder press grips.
Rest days will consist of 10,000 steps/4 miles walked and around 15 mins of intense jump rope intervals.

Will win most eligible board member 2020

Finally decided to stop being a fat slob? ;)

Unless you have disc issues, may not be your back...I "tweak" my back a lot. Pain is always lower middle. It is never my back. It is combo of tightness in hammies, IT Band, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus & obliques...

Ice and rest for a couple of days to allow swelling to subside then pigeon, half-seated ankle to knee, full seated ankle-knee, pyramid and other hammie stretches, and IT band stretches 2-3 times a day for 3 days with no other activity...then see how it feels...with that routine, mine goes away in 5-6 days total..
Thanks. Definitely will give this a try. Pain is lower back, but definitely over to the right side.

I've been doing a lot of lifting of the remote and PS4 controller. My work days have become more intense because of my field often leaving me exhausted by the time I log off. I had trouble fitting into a size 33 before this. I won't be able to wear those jeans when things return to as close to normal as possible.

Thanks. Definitely will give this a try. Pain is lower back, but definitely over to the right side.
To me that is IT Band...rest and ice for a couple of days...but do all the stretches...I cannot emphasize enough how all the yoga I do has made such a difference

Finally decided to stop being a fat slob? ;)
Took the rear view mirrors off my car, can only look forward now!

yeah the pizza every other day thing was not my finest idea

I’ve got a Bodyweight exercise program I’ve put my tennis players on if anyone is looking for something to do. Send me a message with an email address and I am happy to share.