Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

The kettlebell isn't cutting it much anymore. I'm about to overrule the wife and purchase a squat rack and about 10 plates.
I did that 3 yrs ago (plus got her an elliptical) and she has since thanked me numerous times

I justified it because we were spending >1k a year in combined gym memberships plus gas etc. and unlike most we actually use it 3-6x a week almost every week

It’s actually paying for itself pretty quickly and we got nice stuff (Rogue and Precore)

Sounds tough! Do you ever run them down hill? I think it was Andre Reed who did a lot of down hill sprints to lengthen his stride.
This was the first time I've run hills. I usually do intervals on the track but they closed the track.

Question for the group. I’m not getting the gains on my strength that I’m hoping for, part of which is some inconsistency. I’m looking for some recommendations for supplements that would help build muscle and strength, legally. I eat pretty well thanks to my wife. Just feel like I need something to take it up a notch

Any particular routine?

There's a bunch of good ones on youtube. Yoga with Tim is a good one to start with. He has some yoga for beginners and several 30 day challenges. He gives good tips on correct form. I did the Breathe and Flow yoga for men and now I'm doing their 28 day challenge.

Question for the group. I’m not getting the gains on my strength that I’m hoping for, part of which is some inconsistency. I’m looking for some recommendations for supplements that would help build muscle and strength, legally. I eat pretty well thanks to my wife. Just feel like I need something to take it up a notch
How old are you? If you are early 40s, or older, it may no longer matter what you do...

My oncologist had me take creatine when I was getting treated. It helped. I used Con-Crete brand creatine. I haven't used it for a couple of years but I just ordered some. I'm in my mid 60's, strength gains take much longer, if ever, as we age.
Maybe you should change up your routine and try a different program or even rest.

There's a bunch of good ones on youtube. Yoga with Tim is a good one to start with. He has some yoga for beginners and several 30 day challenges. He gives good tips on correct form. I did the Breathe and Flow yoga for men and now I'm doing their 28 day challenge.
MY current routine:

Downward dog - 1:30
Low lunge twist - one hand to ground, other to sky - 30 secs
Standing forward fold - 30 secs
Reach to sky with back bend - 30 secs
Standing forward fold, hands clasped behind back to sky - 30 secs
Vinyasa
Repeat sequence with other side for low lunge twist

Chair - 1 Min
Standing twist (elbow outside opposite knee) - 1 Min
Low lungs full twist (elbow outside opposite knee) - 1 Min
Standing forward fold - 1 Min
Vinyasa
Repeat sequence other side

High Lunge - 1 Min
Warrior 1 - 1 Min
Warrior 2 - 1 Min
Peaceful warrior - 1 Min
Side Angle - 1 Min
Triangle - 1 Min
Half Moon - 1 Min
Vinyasa
Repeat sequence on other side

Pyramid pose - 1 Min
Pyramid pose (or humble warrior) with hands clasped behind back to sky
Lizard - 1 Min
Modifed runners lunge (reaching behind and bringing foot up for hip flexors) - 1 Min
Skandasana (half squat) - 1` Min
Vinyasa

Squat (Malasana) - 1 Min
Wide legged forward fold - 1 Min
Goddess pose - 1 Min
Vinyasa

Tree Pose - 1 Min each side
Warrior 3 - 1 Min each side
Standing ankle to knee - 1 Min each side
Note that this is a balance sequence so you can substitute other balance poses

Half Pigeon - 1 Min each side
Ankle to Knee - 1 Min each side
Reclined IT Band Stretch - 1 Min each side
Recline supine twist - 1 Min each side
Modified Recline supine twist (bottom leg bent holding top knee down - I do this because it hits my psoas) - 1 Min each side
Bridge Pose - 1 Min
Wheel - 30 secs
Seated Spinal Twist - 1 Min each side
Modified Half PIgeon (armpit outside of knee) - 1 Min each side
Seated forward Fold - 1 Min
Head to Knee forward Fold - 1 Min each side
Butterfly pose (arms under legs) - 1 Min
Happy Baby - 1 Min
Happy Baby Modified both legs straight - 1 Min

So, to summarize:

Sun Saluations to warm up
Chair Sequence
Flow Sequence
Flow II Sequence
Balance Sequence
Ground Sequence

If you do inversions, you can also throw them in either within one of the above (for example taking malasana into crow pose and then into either chin stand or tripod head stand or as a separate sequence (basket or tripod head stand, forearm stand, hand stand etc...)

You can also throw in a lot more vinyasas...my vinyasas are all high cobra to stretch my lower back and no planks or chaturangas or upward dogs since I do a ton of core work and push ups on one of my other workout days)...

Most yoga routines also include core work but I do core on a different day so I don't incorporate any core-specific yoga poses (such as Navasana - boat pose)...

Last edited:
MY current routine:

Downward dog - 1:30
Low lunge twist - one hand to ground, other to sky - 30 secs
Standing forward fold - 30 secs
Reach to sky with back bend - 30 secs
Standing forward fold, hands clasped behind back to sky - 30 secs
Vinyasa
Repeat sequence with other side for low lunge twist

Chair - 1 Min
Standing twist (elbow outside opposite knee) - 1 Min
Low lungs full twist (elbow outside opposite knee) - 1 Min
Standing forward fold - 1 Min
Vinyasa
Repeat sequence other side

High Lunge - 1 Min
Warrior 1 - 1 Min
Warrior 2 - 1 Min
Peaceful warrior - 1 Min
Side Angle - 1 Min
Triangle - 1 Min
Half Moon - 1 Min
Vinyasa

Pyramid pose - 1 Min
Pyramid pose (or humble warrior) with hands clasped behind back to sky
Lizard - 1 Min
Modifed runners lunge (reaching behind and bringing foot up for hip flexors) - 1 Min
Skandasana (half squat) - 1` Min
Vinyasa

Squat (Malasana) - 1 Min
Wide legged forward fold - 1 Min
Goddess pose - 1 Min
Vinyasa

Tree Pose - 1 Min each side
Warrior 3 - 1 Min each side
Standing ankle to knee - 1 Min each side
Note that this is a balance sequence so you can substitute other balance poses

Half Pigeon - 1 Min each side
Ankle to Knee - 1 Min each side
Reclined IT Band Stretch - 1 Min each side
Recline supine twist - 1 Min each side
Modified Recline supine twist (bottom leg bent holding top knee down - I do this because it hits my psoas) - 1 Min each side
Bridge Pose - 1 Min
Wheel - 30 secs
Seated Spinal Twist - 1 Min each side
Modified Half PIgeon (armpit outside of knee) - 1 Min each side
Seated forward Fold - 1 Min
Head to Knee forward Fold - 1 Min each side
Butterfly pose (arms under legs) - 1 Min
Happy Baby - 1 Min
Happy Baby Modified both legs straight - 1 Min

So, to summarize:

Sun Saluations to warm up
Chair Sequence
Flow Sequence
Flow II Sequence
Balance Sequence
Ground Sequence

If you do inversions, you can also throw them in either within one of the above (for example taking malasana into crow pose and then into either chin stand or tripod head stand or as a separate sequence (basket or tripod head stand, forearm stand, hand stand etc...)

You can also throw in a lot more vinyasas...my vinyasas are all high cobra to stretch my lower back and no planks or chaturangas or upward dogs since I do a ton of core work and push ups on one of my other workout days)...

Most yoga routines also include core work but I do core on a different day so I don't incorporate any core-specific yoga poses (such as Navasana - boat pose)...

Thanks!

51. And now I’m sad...
At our age, you work out to stay alive...I quit going heavy at somewhere around 43-45...

Now it's light lifting (no more than 225 lbs regardless of exercise), strict form, little rest (meaning cycles of multiple exercises before a short rest period), plus intervals, MMA and tons of yoga to offset it all...

53 year-old me could kick the shhhh!t out of 43 year old me...

51. And now I’m sad...

Change up your routine. You should probably do a change every 6 weeks or so. Create muscle confusion.

Order some creatine from Amazon. Muscletech platinum is like $10. It should last 10-12 weeks. Get some recovery Whey Protein Isolate. Costco sells it.

You can make some gains but not like in your 20s or 30s

Good luck

Here's a link to some workouts. Now that our seasonal tenants are gone from our house across the street, I've moved my weights that have been stacked in my garage for 20 years to my "new gym". I started the attached program 2 weeks ago. It's pretty basic but a good start for me since I've been out of the gym since they closed. I cut yoga back to 3 or 4 times a week and I ride my bike for cardio.

Attachments

• 100percentpowerlifting.pdf
    116.2 KB · Views: 92
I see you need a Smith machine for lunges in that workout. Why I'm just doing bodyweight lunges and wall sits (no real equipment at home).

Unfortunately adjustable weight dumbbells are all sold out at Core Fitness. They have a lottery for them but I haven't won yet the right to buy what little inventory they get in.

Last edited:
I see you need a Smith machine for lunges in that workout. Why I'm just doing bodyweight lunges and wall sits (no real equipment at home).

Unfortunately adjustable weight dumbbells are all sold out at Core Fitness. They have a lottery for them but I haven't won yet the right to buy what little inventory they get in.

I substitute front squats for the lunges. I have ancient squat stands which consist of metal bases with a pipe attached, a lawyer's dream if they were in a gym today. Another option would be Bulgarian split squats.

As you have seen I've been doing Intermittent Fasting 3-4 times a week. I haven't tried a prolong fast yet.

Here is a 26 min video on Long Term (prolong) fasting of 48-72 hrs

TLDW:
Helps Longevity
Helps The Brain
Helps Burn Fat
Helps Cell Repair
Stimulation of Stem Cells
Once a week for 24hrs is good
But once a month for 48-72hrs is better
Best to go Keto diet 3-5 days leading up
Physical Activity is key but keep it low intensity

Here's a link to some workouts. Now that our seasonal tenants are gone from our house across the street, I've moved my weights that have been stacked in my garage for 20 years to my "new gym". I started the attached program 2 weeks ago. It's pretty basic but a good start for me since I've been out of the gym since they closed. I cut yoga back to 3 or 4 times a week and I ride my bike for cardio.
Yes, I wasn't going to say anything but you don't need yoga 7 days a week...

Whenever I start something new, I do one day workout, one day yoga...I believe it helps to prevent injury as the muscles are being stressed in new ways...

Once my muscles adapt, and I make it through that period of week four to week six, without getting injured, I'll scale the yoga back to 2 days workout and 1 day yoga...

I'm on 80+ acres in the eastern foothills of the southern Rockies, with a relatively unlimited number of 5 mile hikes here and in the rest of the 2500 acres that make up this underdeveloped former ranch. I've been mostly cutting brush in the 5 acres surrounding the house during the pandemic with a hike about twice a week. Business before pleasure, don't you know. The weather has been ideal for all of the above, but it will become less appealing as the summer goes on.

You can't watch old reruns forever. At least I can't.

My gym closed and I don't feel like moving furniture out of a room so set up my weights that have been stacked in the garage for years.

I've been doing yoga online, pull ups and riding my bike. Here's one that's pretty good yoga link

I may set up a limited amount of weights but I'm looking for exercise ideas to suplement not having a gym.
1589556613413.png

Delivered last night...

Changing my handle to Dolomite 'cause

Dolomite is my name
FF'n up M'F'ers is my game..

View attachment 181263

Delivered last night...

Changing my handle to Dolomite 'cause

Dolomite is my name
FF'n up M'F'ers is my game..

Lol! Now you can get some good cardio and knock M'F'ers out. I've got a 70lb heavy bag that's remained unused for 20 years. No basement beams to hang it on and a right shoulder that's bone on bone. That Wavemaster makes a lot more sense.

I’ll be doing the Murph a week from Monday as I do every Memorial Day. Will be curious how it goes, I typically do a ton of pull-ups, but haven’t done one in 90 days. Pushups should be fine, I do well over 700 air squats per week. Running is always the key. I’m down 25 lbs in the last 3 months so I’m hoping that gives me some advantage on the pull-ups given that it will be lower than I am used to weight wise even with the vest.