Horse Racing | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Horse Racing

Not sure we will see any racing at the Spa this year, but if things settle down I would be happy to meet up with everyone in this thread and buy you all a few drinks.

Completely agree. They may just leave the two ( Travers/ Haskell) as is and just run on top of one another or leave the Travers. Baffert will have a field day as he has 3 of the 4 best horses out there right now but who knows?

Be so weird if you are at Saratoga the day they run the KY Derby but actually kind of cool as well
would be a huge handle.

ive been there on Labor Day weekend...total ghost town.

might be prudent to move a big race to that day...

the fine print??

do you mean paddock tables now have to be purchased and reserved...or do you mean the clubhouse ones??
Picnic tables under the festival tent. Best deal at the spa. Whitney is $120 for a table of 6. Includes admission and program with TV's and fans under a tent. Travers is $240 which is a $30 increase this year. No getting up at 4 am anymore to run like I used to.

Picnic tables under the festival tent. Best deal at the spa. Whitney is $120 for a table of 6. Includes admission and program with TV's and fans under a tent. Travers is $240 which is a $30 increase this year. No getting up at 4 am anymore to run like I used to.
i know where you are, nice.

i just always felt that even with a fan, those tents have got to be sauna's.

i dont mind getting there early, its usually when we have guests and i can still rally myself in the morning to get down there for the rat race to a table.

especially we all these yeti coolers and stuff that i can run with and be able to hair of the dog it once i find a good spot.

way back in the day...carrying a bigass cooler or even rolling one...my god now it would kill me.

Sean Payton might have got it last weekend at Oaklawn, so I expect it will be shutdown widespread very soon

i know where you are, nice.

i just always felt that even with a fan, those tents have got to be sauna's.

i dont mind getting there early, its usually when we have guests and i can still rally myself in the morning to get down there for the rat race to a table.

especially we all these yeti coolers and stuff that i can run with and be able to hair of the dog it once i find a good spot.

way back in the day...carrying a bigass cooler or even rolling one...my god now it would kill me.
The trick is to run in with just a tablecloth and a stapler or duct tape. Once you established your home base, then you go back for all your coolers, etc.

Under the tent is nice because you never have to worry about rain or hot sun. Plus you don't have to get in line while it's still pitch black out.

The trick is to run in with just a tablecloth and a stapler or duct tape. Once you established your home base, then you go back for all your coolers, etc.

Under the tent is nice because you never have to worry about rain or hot sun. Plus you don't have to get in line while it's still pitch black out.

Been there 100 times, so hungover just battling for picnic tables. Back to hotel for breakfast and a few morning cocktails and then ready by 1 pm to start wagering. Always loved it. Play pitch all

Agree establish the spot then back for cooler. Best spot at Saratoga is the backyard. Use to LOVE Monday's back there too

Just wanted to say this thread is sustaining me through quarantine- the idea of being at the Whitney, Jim Dandy, Lake Placid, Alabama or ANYTHING at the Spa this summer with my family and a cold drink is a wonderful thing to dream of. Keep it up boys!

yet another excellent use of duct tape.

always have 2 rolls in the back of the jeep.

i always felt running back out for the cooler was cheating.

i usually did it as a 2 man job anyway...

drop 1 guy, a cooler and a few chairs off at the gate, park the car.

at rope drop, one starts running with the chairs and the other manages the cooler as best he can.

cellphones made this much easier, but i remember lugging a cooler around to our 'usual' area only to find out i had already walked past that days spot many a time.

yet another excellent use of duct tape.

always have 2 rolls in the back of the jeep.

i always felt running back out for the cooler was cheating.

i usually did it as a 2 man job anyway...

drop 1 guy, a cooler and a few chairs off at the gate, park the car.

at rope drop, one starts running with the chairs and the other manages the cooler as best he can.

cellphones made this much easier, but i remember lugging a cooler around to our 'usual' area only to find out i had already walked past that days spot many a time.

I never had my cooler put together that early was such a mess from night before but now I roll one from the hotel as I don't want to have any responsibility of driving. My kids complain about walking but I just tune them out

I have left with a cooler more times then i have gone in with one.. Those city dudes with 10 cases of beer that only make it thru the first 5 are the ones to sit near. They always show up late and leave early so free beer and tables by race 5..

now we drink way less... just bring in a scutter from Marino's and get some mac-n-pulled pork and a bowl at the soup tent and I am all set..

Hopefully we get to do it this yr

I have left with a cooler more times then i have gone in with one.. Those city dudes with 10 cases of beer that only make it thru the first 5 are the ones to sit near. They always show up late and leave early so free beer and tables by race 5..

now we drink way less... just bring in a scutter from Marino's and get some mac-n-pulled pork and a bowl at the soup tent and I am all set..

Hopefully we get to do it this yr

We still go in with a ton of food and drink but I see your point for sure. If I’m going solo or just with my wife I’m at the paddock bar.
Keeneland and Saratoga are just the best for a day at the races.

We still go in with a ton of food and drink but I see your point for sure. If I’m going solo or just with my wife I’m at the paddock bar.
after never having been to anything but the Old Spa, i remember being so excited going to my 1st Belmont in the 90s,

we drove out, brought in our coolers and were like...holy shlit, this sucks. wheres the endless picnic tables and trees with tvs on them? where do we go?

sat on a park bench.

lost a ton.

hated it.

went back every year...

Paddock Bar is our go-to spot- coverage from the sun, shorter lines at the betting windows & bathrooms, relatively good prices on tall boys. Although having a two year old has made it a bit more challenging.

Paddock Bar is our go-to spot- coverage from the sun, shorter lines at the betting windows & bathrooms, relatively good prices on tall boys. Although having a two year old has made it a bit more challenging.

for sure. Good spot there

as a young kid i remember you had to pay to get into the 2nd level area and when you paid they stamped your hand before you could ride the escalator up . We realized pretty quickly that the ink stayed wet so if you sent one person thru they could run around and if you were quick 2-3 could ink themselves for the price of one..

i wish someday they would reopen in the infield. it would so much better now with all the video screens and such to watch from the inside.

Is Belmont the track getting smaller with the new hockey rink getting built over there? Not sure but the place is 4 times bigger than it needs to be except on Belmont Day

He's a real nice horse. That field Saturday is loaded. Should be a great race.
Sports on TV! Who is carrying it? Will definitely be the best ratings ever!

Sports on TV! Who is carrying it? Will definitely be the best ratings ever!
I think NBC Sports Network will have it. If not, you can watch it through the NYRA Now or NYRA Bets apps.

I think NBC Sports Network will have it. If not, you can watch it through the NYRA Now or NYRA Bets apps.

Tiz the Law also a NY Bred which is cool, same owners and trainer as Funny Cide who was also a NY bred. winstar was the breeder on Funny Cide. Tiz the law is a constitution colt who was the hottest new stallion of 2019 stands at Win Star Farm. Win star not the breeder though as Twin Creeks bred the horse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom