Horse Racing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Horse Racing

I don't know if it is just me but the crop of 3 year olds this year seems stellar.
I agree. Hope we get to see them race throughout the year.

the build up to the derby will be fascinating to watch.. if the preakness/belmont stay ahead of it how many of these horses will still be running by sept.. in a normal year of the 20 derby horses only a handful are still really running hard by the fall and usually a few they were not ready in may are just hitting their stride.. i wonder if the pt system gets changed for entry cause i have to think most of the crop wont be running, it makes the first big race bigger since they usually scrape to see who will run in the preakness but now.. and who is gonna run in the belmont may totally change since the big horses wont be coming off 2 big races by june..

what if the belmont becomes the first, how many run?

I don't know if it is just me but the crop of 3 year olds this year seems stellar.

for sure and the derby being delayed will be interesting how things play out over the summer. The Bemont/Preak/Haskell/ Travers and derby are going to be in close proximity really. There are probably a couple other beasts out there just getting started as well. if they don't move the Travers that will get interesting as well. derby is #1 obviously but for me the Travers would be #2

the build up to the derby will be fascinating to watch.. if the preakness/belmont stay ahead of it how many of these horses will still be running by sept.. in a normal year of the 20 derby horses only a handful are still really running hard by the fall and usually a few they were not ready in may are just hitting their stride.. i wonder if the pt system gets changed for entry cause i have to think most of the crop wont be running, it makes the first big race bigger since they usually scrape to see who will run in the preakness but now.. and who is gonna run in the belmont may totally change since the big horses wont be coming off 2 big races by june..

what if the belmont becomes the first, how many run?

Probably not many, the 1-1/2" mile distance is so rare these days, it hasn't been the best race for Stallion type purposes but who knows. The NY based owners still hold it high regard but not sure breeders do. Should have plenty of fresh horses come June as long as they are running and easing off some of these quality 3 year olds at this point in the year can be just what they need. 3 year old horses are still babies in my eyes.

If I were to rank the 5, taking triple crown out of it. I would go Derby, Travers, and the other 3 are a distant 3rd/4th/5th

they might be better off changing the whole thing as some want.. derby in later may, preakness 3 weeks later in june and belmon mid july.. then the travers/haskell in late august and that sets up for the breeders..

maybe this forces some of this depending on how it works out.

even the derby 2 weeks later is probably a better starting pt.

they might be better off changing the whole thing as some want.. derby in later may, preakness 3 weeks later in june and belmon mid july.. then the travers/haskell in late august and that sets up for the breeders..

maybe this forces some of this depending on how it works out.

even the derby 2 weeks later is probably a better starting pt.

Or just put another week between the Preakness and the Derby and 4 weeks between Preakness and Belmont. I don't see them moving the derby from 1st saturday in May ( This year excluded obviously)

Having grown up down the block from Belmont, however, I always pull for the local horses to do well. My emotional favorites are Tiz the Law and Three Technique, although the latter seems to me to be in a little over his head at the G1 level - at least at this point.

Having grown up down the block from Belmont, however, I always pull for the local horses to do well. My emotional favorites are Tiz the Law and Three Technique, although the latter seems to me to be in a little over his head at the G1 level - at least at this point.

Tiz the law going to have to pass a big test this weekend. That Ete Indian ( Or whatever the hell his name is looks tough) but like you I am rooting for Tiz the Law and Manny Franco as well. Manny is a hell of a young rider

Agreed on 3 technique but can't wait to see him run on the grass. His dad Mr Speaker was a great turf horse and the mom was a solid turf runner. Can't blame Coach Parcells and englehart for trying everything first on the dirt to try and get to the big races. That said, I am sure they are well aware of the upside potential on the grass and Iook for him to debut there in a stake at Belmont or Saratoga sometime this year. Saw the horse this summer at Saratoga and he has a good sized turf hoof. Question how long the horse wants to go as well. I will be betting with both hands the day the debut him on the turf. Englehart being a finger lakes guy is a dirt first guy if he was trained by Chad Brown doubt he ever even sees the dirt.

Last edited:
Tiz the law going to have to pass a big test this weekend. That Ete Indian ( Or whatever the hell his name is looks tough) but like you I am rooting for Tiz the Law and Manny Franco as well. Manny is a hell of a young rider

Agreed on 3 technique but can't wait to see him run on the grass. His dad Mr Speaker was a great turf horse and the mom was a solid turf runner. Can't blame Coach Parcells and englehart for trying everything first on the dirt to try and get to the big races. That said, I am sure they are well aware of the upside potential on the grass and Iook for him to debut there in a stake at Belmont or Saratoga sometime this year. Saw the horse this summer at Saratoga and he has a good sized turf hoof. Question how long the horse wants to go as well. I will be betting with both hands the day the debut him on the turf. Englehart being a finger lakes guy is a dirt first guy if he was trained by Chad Brown doubt he ever even sees the dirt.
Not sure how they are keeping these tracks open but it won't be for long. The draw for the Florida Derby was earlier today. Tiz the Law. Big favorite coming out of the lucky 7 hole. Favorite number/favorite color. Would like to see him continue to run real strong.

I
Not sure how they are keeping these tracks open but it won't be for long. The draw for the Florida Derby was earlier today. Tiz the Law. Big favorite coming out of the lucky 7 hole. Favorite number/favorite color. Would like to see him continue to run real strong.

Gulfstream Championship meet ends Sunday, I think they will most likely be done Sunday but you never know. The horses all still need to be taken care of and still need people to do it. To race at an empty track takes probably another 20-25 people who aren't training the horses everyday already. ( gate crew, outriders, etc)

the main issue they say now is that you have to keep the animals training and fed. if people have to be around them whether they are running or night its not a hugely different amount of people.. the tracks are on minimal staff already. the tracks that shut down are mostly the ones that didnt have onsite training. even then hard to see it continuing on.

the main issue they say now is that you have to keep the animals training and fed. if people have to be around them whether they are running or night its not a hugely different amount of people.. the tracks are on minimal staff already. the tracks that shut down are mostly the ones that didnt have onsite training. even then hard to see it continuing on.

Gulfstream horses come from 4 different training areas Gulfstream, Gulfstream West ( Old Calder) Payson Park, and Palm Meadows. I think New York may be shut down until Belmont starts up in late April. Belmont is where 95% of the running horses at Aqueduct are coming in from. This gives them time to set up new protocol and wont be shipping even a few miles. saratoga training track usually opens up in mid April as well, so who knows but some trainers train up there and ship down to Belmont

Oaklawn you just never know

Last edited:
Gulfstream horses come from 4 different training areas Gulfstream, Gulfstream West ( Old Calder) Payson Park, and Palm Meadows. I think New York may be shut down until Belmont starts up in late April. Belmont is where 95% of the running horses at Aqueduct are coming in from. This gives them time to set up new protocol and wont be shipping even a few miles. saratoga training track usually opens up in mid April as well, so who knows but some trainers train up there and ship down to Belmont

Oaklawn you just never know
Castellano tests positive in Florida. The faster they close NY and not let anyone in or out the faster life will get back to normal.

NY is closed? Do you mean the State, City?
Find a way to keep people in their house for two weeks. City, State, Country. People are spreading germs left and right. I love Castellano but he travelled from NYC to Florida while infected. No one should think they are above this.

Find a way to keep people in their house for two weeks. City, State, Country. People are spreading germs left and right. I love Castellano but he travelled from NYC to Florida while infected. No one should think they are above this.

Agreed

I think NBC Sports Network will have it. If not, you can watch it through the NYRA Now or NYRA Bets apps.
FS1 will have Florida Derby card today 1:30-7:00pm

Really have to fight the urge to open a TVG account
I like the NYRA Bets app where you can bet every track in the world. They usually run a $200 incentive for new signups. Bet $200 or more your first day and win or lose they reimburse you $200. Today would be a good day. Gulfstream has the mandatory Pick 6 payout for races 9-14. Could be more than 5 million and probably the last chance to bet for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom