Houston Pregame Analysis | Syracusefan.com

Houston Pregame Analysis

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
Just looking at Houston's roster and year statistics. I'm coming away with a bit of a head scratcher. Perhaps those who watched them play can shed some light.

They play with a small team, two forwards and three guards is their most common lineup. But they have only five guys who play 20mpg and four are guards. Mostly they're big guards, three of them are listed at 6'5"and only Sasser (31.3mpg) is small. They don't play a center and their two forwards with the most minutes are both beefy 6'8" types. Yet they managed to dominate a big Rutgers team on the boards. As a team, Houston ranks 9th in rebounding percentage nationally. Their guards get a lot of rebounds to make up for forwards lack of height. Short teams that rebound well can be... frustrating for Syracuse. Gorham (8.6rpg in 27 mpg) in particular gets almost half his rebounds on the offensive end.

Houston's leading scorer and second best rebounder is Quincy Grimes, averaging 18 and 6 in ~33 mpg. Grimes is the straw that stirs the drink. He and Sasser are their volume shooters, both taking over 200 threes this year, averaging 37.4%... the rest of the team combined only took 279 all year, at a 34% rate. Teams that rely too heavily on one or two players to score can be contained by the zone.

They shoot 44% overall and attempt about 18ft/game, but are a stellar 5th overall in points per possession. Where is their efficiency coming from?

They earn a lot of their glowing record from defense. They rank 3rd nationally, allowing a terrific .86 points per possession... Syracuse is 143 and .984 respectively. They are very tough defensively and throw a lot of guys at you, defensively giving different looks and keeping good intensity. But they aren't elite at forcing turnovers and are bad at blocking shots. As a result of the lack of rim protection, Houston ranks 177 at opponent's 2pt shooting%, allowing a whopping 62.7% in opponents two point shots. Houston is elite at stopping 3 pointers, allowing less than 30% outside. They foul way too much, almost 25% of defensive possessions... Again, I suspect rim protection could be a problem, causing lots of fouls. Are they only deep because everybody is in foul trouble most games?

Where does their defensive efficiency come from? A foul ridden team that doesn't get turnovers and can't stop the two point shot shouldn't be elite defensively!

A real head scratcher.

I think this could be a great game for Guerrier. He has some trouble against bigger teams, but without a shot blocker, it could be his turn to carry the scoring and get to the line a lot. I expect a big game from Richmond as well.

On the other hand, we need to make sure we aren't taking too many bad threes, as their defensive strength goes up against our offensive strength. Buddy may have a hard time with a bunch of tall guards in his face all game, who are also big enough to stop the Buddy back down.

The x factor is going to be Griffin. Can he get to the basket enough and avoid the lousy three? Can he help on the boards more than the last few games?

Overall Houston is a deep, experienced, balanced team that doesn't seem to excel in any areas, but is solid top to bottom. As effective as they have been, it isn't surprising to see them a few point favorite.

EDIT: Stats from ESPN and

Last edited:
I was just going through stats and was going to make a post, I will piggyback off of you.

Houston is small, their starting line up goes 6-1, 6-5, 6-5, 6-7, and 6-8. As you stated they have two high volume shooters. Grimes is at 41.7% from 3 and the next closest that I saw was 36%.

What is interesting about the three point shooting is they rank 23rd in 3's attempted. Not exactly a great shooting team for the volume they put up. With that said, they rank 6th in rebounding averaging 14 offensive rebounds per game.

They shoot 74% as a team from the line. Some of their starting forwards are terrible free throw shooters.

Houston averages 77 ppg, same as WVU. Where they differ is Houston is #2 in ppg allowed just behind Loyola Chicago, who is a very good team. Let's be honest though, the schedules do not compare. WVU had the 14th toughest schedule, Houston is at #78.

If you look at Houston's schedule, there are some real head scratchers in there. Point blank, the schedule is weak. They are 2-1 against the field, beating Texas Tech and splitting with Wichita St. They beat a bad Tulsa team by 1 and lost to East Carolina by 9 in February. They also struggled with some bad Power 5 teams, such as South Carolina who was at the bottom of a so so SEC.

I believe Rutgers would have been an easy win for us. We are simply not the same team as the beginning of the year, and we did not have Buddy. I was shocked Houston struggled as much as they did.

The plan for Houston seems to be chuck up a shot and go get it. It could pose a problem if we do not rebound, but I just do not see it with how dialed in we are right now.

I think Houston is a slightly above average team in a bad conference. I think they have a lot of great athletes, but we have better basketball players and more size. I wanted Houston because their schedule is atrocious. If we can at least stay with them rebounding and Grimes and Sasser are not unconscious from three, we win this game going away.

We also do not know how Jarreau will be feeling. If he is not full strength, that is huge.

I was just going through stats and was going to make a post, I will piggyback off of you.

Houston is small, their starting line up goes 6-1, 6-5, 6-5, 6-7, and 6-8. As you stated they have two high volume shooters. Grimes is at 41.7% from 3 and the next closest that I saw was 36%.

What is interesting about the three point shooting is they rank 23rd in 3's attempted. Not exactly a great shooting team for the volume they put up. With that said, they rank 6th in rebounding averaging 14 offensive rebounds per game.

They shoot 74% as a team from the line. Some of their starting forwards are terrible free throw shooters.

Houston averages 77 ppg, same as WVU. Where they differ is Houston is #2 in ppg allowed just behind Loyola Chicago, who is a very good team. Let's be honest though, the schedules do not compare. WVU had the 14th toughest schedule, Houston is at #78.

If you look at Houston's schedule, there are some real head scratchers in there. Point blank, the schedule is weak. They are 2-1 against the field, beating Texas Tech and splitting with Wichita St. They beat a bad Tulsa team by 1 and lost to East Carolina by 9 in February. They also struggled with some bad Power 5 teams, such as South Carolina who was at the bottom of a so so SEC.

I believe Rutgers would have been an easy win for us. We are simply not the same team as the beginning of the year, and we did not have Buddy. I was shocked Houston struggled as much as they did.

The plan for Houston seems to be chuck up a shot and go get it. It could pose a problem if we do not rebound, but I just do not see it with how dialed in we are right now.

I think Houston is a slightly above average team in a bad conference. I think they have a lot of great athletes, but we have better basketball players and more size. I wanted Houston because their schedule is atrocious. If we can at least stay with them rebounding and Grimes and Sasser are not unconscious from three, we win this game going away.

We also do not know how Jarreau will be feeling. If he is not full strength, that is huge.

With the way the ACC performed both in the tournament and all season long, I didn't want to cast too many stones at their strength of schedule.

So who flashes to the FT line? A 6-7/8 guy? Or a 6-5 guard? Who is their pass/shoot/drive guy?

Good post. I definitely agree at the end - I think Buddy won’t get a lot of clean looks and won’t be able to back down the man guarding him. Sasser will be on Girard. This will need to be a
Q/AG/Marek game

With the way the ACC performed both in the tournament and all season long, I didn't want to cast too many stones at their strength of schedule.
That’s fine, but you still cant compare the schedules. A team like Notre Dame would finish at the top of the AAC. The conference is very weak. The ACC’s performance doesn’t change how bad the AAC is. The AAC got 2 bids and Wichita State got bounced by Drake in the play in game.

I would bet mostly Jarreau

He would probably make sense, he leads them in assists. But he also averages 2.3 turnovers a game and is not their first choice to shoot. He might not be the threat they need to force movement in the zone.

I think they put their big guy in there, Gorham is their best 2pt shooter, and will attract attention Jarreau will not. Plus, Gorham has the mass to make us pay for putting Dolezaj at center, either by pushing him under the basket for layups or pushing him under the basket for rebounds.

I don't see any way Dolezaj doesn't wind up pushed under the basket. Gorham could force us to put Edwards in quickly.

Quincy needs to have a monster game then the rest will fall into place. If he outplays Jearreau were in good shape. Buddy will outshoot Grimes.

We can't wait 8 mins for Kadary each half against a team like this.

I wouldn't expect Jarreau to guard Guerrier... The size difference won't be good. Either Gresham or White seem like bigger forwards guarding Guerrier, while Gorham and Dolezaj pretend to be centers.

There are a few things that stand out when u watch Houston play. They play with as much intensity as just about any team out there. Sampson uses his bench rather liberally and his players play all out when in there. This shows up in terms of effort on the glass (particularly the offensive glass). They usually have two frontcourt players in at all times whose primary focus is to set picks and grab offensive rebounds. The guy who stands out in that respect is Gorham. He's a poor man's Rodman in that he's relentless on the boards although he is a decent shooter.

I agree that Houston has played a weak schedule but they are able to overcome that by playing with some serious intensity. We will have to match that intensity or it will be very tough to win.

I wouldn't expect Jarreau to guard Guerrier... The size difference won't be good. Either Gresham or White seem like bigger forwards guarding Guerrier, while Gorham and Dolezaj pretend to be centers.
Jarreau is their best defender. I'd expect him to cover Buddy unless his hip is too much of a problem. Gorham on Quincy.

I like to play against teams that play a lot of players. Against our zone you need to figure out how to attack it. That’s hard to do if you keep changing players. I watch FSU and they keep subbing. Their offense looks pretty good, but then looks totally out of sorts. Half the time their best players aren’t on the floor. I would say thank you!

Rebounding is key. Their offense did not appear to be running any good offensive plays. Not sure if that was because they were losing and just jacking up shots. But the one thing I did notice is they attack the offensive boards with reckless abandonment. Guys where jumping and throwing their body’s towards the ball. WE BETTER COME OUT TO REBOUND!!!!! Because it will be a long night if we don’t attack the boards with 2 hands.

Watching the Rutgers game, they did get open shots. That has me optimistic. But Houston deffinetly have athletes that I believe can bother our guards. Buddy has been on a roll, but he needs help at some point. If Griffin doesn’t rebound he will be replaced quickly by braswel. Hopefully griffin comes out aggressive and plays within himself. Because I think we might need him for another threat.

Just looking at Houston's roster and year statistics. I'm coming away with a bit of a head scratcher. Perhaps those who watched them play can shed some light.

They play with a small team, two forwards and three guards is their most common lineup. But they have only five guys who play 20mpg and four are guards. Mostly they're big guards, three of them are listed at 6'5"and only Sasser (31.3mpg) is small. They don't play a center and their two forwards with the most minutes are both beefy 6'8" types. Yet they managed to dominate a big Rutgers team on the boards. As a team, Houston ranks 9th in rebounding percentage nationally. Their guards get a lot of rebounds to make up for forwards lack of height. Short teams that rebound well can be... frustrating for Syracuse. Gorham (8.6rpg in 27 mpg) in particular gets almost half his rebounds on the offensive end.

Houston's leading scorer and second best rebounder is Quincy Grimes, averaging 18 and 6 in ~33 mpg. Grimes is the straw that stirs the drink. He and Sasser are their volume shooters, both taking over 200 threes this year, averaging 37.4%... the rest of the team combined only took 279 all year, at a 34% rate. Teams that rely too heavily on one or two players to score can be contained by the zone.

They shoot 44% overall and attempt about 18ft/game, but are a stellar 5th overall in points per possession. Where is their efficiency coming from?

They earn a lot of their glowing record from defense. They rank 3rd nationally, allowing a terrific .86 points per possession... Syracuse is 143 and .984 respectively. They are very tough defensively and throw a lot of guys at you, defensively giving different looks and keeping good intensity. But they aren't elite at forcing turnovers and are bad at blocking shots. As a result of the lack of rim protection, Houston ranks 177 at opponent's 2pt shooting%, allowing a whopping 62.7% in opponents two point shots. Houston is elite at stopping 3 pointers, allowing less than 30% outside. They foul way too much, almost 25% of defensive possessions... Again, I suspect rim protection could be a problem, causing lots of fouls. Are they only deep because everybody is in foul trouble most games?

Where does their defensive efficiency come from? A foul ridden team that doesn't get turnovers and can't stop the two point shot shouldn't be elite defensively!

A real head scratcher.

I think this could be a great game for Guerrier. He has some trouble against bigger teams, but without a shot blocker, it could be his turn to carry the scoring and get to the line a lot. I expect a big game from Richmond as well.

On the other hand, we need to make sure we aren't taking too many bad threes, as their defensive strength goes up against our offensive strength. Buddy may have a hard time with a bunch of tall guards in his face all game, who are also big enough to stop the Buddy back down.

The x factor is going to be Griffin. Can he get to the basket enough and avoid the lousy three? Can he help on the boards more than the last few games?

Overall Houston is a deep, experienced, balanced team that doesn't seem to excel in any areas, but is solid top to bottom. As effective as they have been, it isn't surprising to see them a few point favorite.

EDIT stats from ESPN and

They are uber athletic, quick and can run. Dont let their lack of height fool you. They are very strong on the boards. Louisville is the team in the ACC they are similar to. I think we need to go big on them.
Bras Q Gumby Edwards Buddy.

Last 10 minutes or so vs Rutgers Houston hit the boards hard.

They are the highest jumping team I have seen in a while...they JUMP...thats how they get the boards.

Cant leave grimes open for all the 3s like they left McNeil. For the life of me I did not understand when the forward near McNeil would collapse off of him to then let him swish a wide open 3 in the second half vs WVU.

I get the feeling that it will happen again with grimes and sasser. SU will be obsessed with collapsing on the glass and leave 3 point shooters wide open. My preference is to stay home on grimes and sasser etc.

jarreua is the straw that stirs the drink. He is the creator and he is very good. big and shifty...similar to kadary in a way...they play with a lot of intensity and know how pas up a good look for a great one. Dribble penetration will be something watch for...if their gaurds get past the first line of defense it will could be trouble.

Quincy needs to have a monster game then the rest will fall into place. If he outplays Jearreau were in good shape. Buddy will outshoot Grimes.

We can't wait 8 mins for Kadary each half against a team like this.
Sadly Only times he gets in earlier is if Joe isoffto an atrocious start.

39FD20D1-992A-45C2-ADDC-1731324D5283.jpeg

Houston had an early season win against Big12 TexTech which seems to really have bumped their power ratings up a lot. Similar to SDSU's early season win against UCLA. They also beat SEC USC early season, buy USC had their worst season in a long time. Their league is not strong and the one team that has been strong, Wichita, had a coaching change mid-season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom