Houston Pregame Analysis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Houston Pregame Analysis

I think Kadary will be key not only to handle the ball against their aggressive D, but also his length in helping to grab boards. Joe and Buddy have been better with long rebounds too recently.

On O - I still think Buddy gets shots. He has become very adept at knowing how he can score on his defender. Raf did a good job pointing that out in the WVU game.

Going to be a rock fight.

They are uber athletic, quick and can run. Dont let their lack of height fool you. They are very strong on the boards. Louisville is the team in the ACC they are similar to. I think we need to go big on them.
Bras Q Gumby Edwards Buddy.
I like the idea of Jesse glued to the paint to erase any slashers, everyone else running them off the line and crashing the boards for the misses. I'll take my chances forcing contested 2s and not letting them get comfortable for the trifecta. We will score plenty at all levels, so clogging up their dump and chase approach should keep them in come back mode.

I think we see little of Jesse Edwards in this game. They are heavily Guard oriented team and unless Marek gets into Foul Trouble (Capital F Capital T) we will stay 6-7 deep. Griffin and Brazwell are going to be key for us. If they have high production in terms of scoring this game we win. We need rebounding against this team and Jesse Edwards does not really help our cause in this case. However, we all have been wrong about every player on this roster at least once. LOL. Go CUSE.

They are going to pressure the ball and do everything they can to deny Buddy the ball.

Kadary needs to play a ton, this just isn't a match up that favors Joe, and they need to upsize. Q and and Marek have to get it done inside and Jesse has to play tall, but he isn't going to get pushed around. I just don't think this is a game where Buddy does or even can, get 25+.

60% of SU's shots have been from three so far in the tourney. They need to work inside.

They are going to pressure the ball and do everything they can to deny Buddy the ball.

Kadary needs to play a ton, this just isn't a match up that favors Joe, and they need to upsize. Q and and Marek have to get it done inside and Jesse has to play tall, but he isn't going to get pushed around. I just don't think this is a game where Buddy does or even can, get 25+.

60% of SU's shots have been from three so far in the tourney. They need to work inside.

As a team, we're going to have to pass the ball crisply. Will be interesting to see how we counter their on the ball pressure -- probably with the offense flowing through guys like Marek initiating things in half court offensive sets, to get the ball out of Joe's / Buddy's hands, and free them up to catch and shoot. And not just Marek -- Quincy, Griffin, Braswell, etc. all need to move the ball quickly and find the open man.

Make them pay for overplaying Buddy [and others]. Hoping Quincy has a big game -- this sets up as a favorable matchup for him.

Hey guys, Houston season-ticket holder and 40-year fan here. I'll fill you in on a few of your questions.

- Yes, the AAC was rubbish this year. Memphis was down, Cincinnati sucked, UConn is gone. UH was clearly the class of the league, but the loss to East Carolina was a head scratcher. It happens, I guess. Tulsa hit two FTs with one second left to beat them and a loss at Wichita State was nothing to be ashamed about. Beyond that, they rolled through the league.

- Houston had the preseason AAC Player of the Year in Caleb Mills, but he quit early in the season (and transferred to Florida State). Amazing job by Sampson to keep the team rolling without him. Sampson has built an incredible culture. Next man up.

- The non-conference schedule was weak. You're right. They obliterated Texas Tech, leading by 20 points midway through the second half. UH didn't score a basket the final 12 minutes and still won by 11 or so. Someone said above they struggled with South Carolina, but they beat them easily. They had Alabama on the schedule in December, but COVID got in the way. That would have been a good game.

- UH isn't big, you're right, but they rebound LIKE CRAZY. Sampson is great at teaching rebounding and 3-4 guys are crashing the boards with each shot. Justin Gorham is the best rebounder. He's relentless. They don't shoot well, but they get TONS of offensive rebounds and second-chance points. You saw some of that in the closing minutes against Rutgers (Mark putback, foul).

- Grimes and Jarreau are the scorers. Grimes was a 5-star from the Houston area who started at Kansas but then came home. Sampson helped him become the best player in the league. He's smooth. Plays very steady and is tough to stop when he gets hot. He's a 1st-round draft pick. Jarreau, meanwhile, is mad man. He's also a transfer (UMass). When he wants to score, he can get to the basket at will. He can take over a game. Jarreau has the tendency to make some reckless mistakes, but he's played under control much more as the season has progressed.

- The Cougars play relentless defense. That's a Sampson trademark. Jarreau was defensive player of the year in the AAC. They are tough on defense and will get in your face and stay in your face. They want the game to be a dogfight.

- Beyond Grimes and Jarreau, the scoring is streaky. If Sasser gets hot, he will score at will. Mark is a freshman who has made some huge shots and is improving, but gets rattled. Gorham scores on putbacks. Fabian White is a 2-year starter who was supposed to be out this year with an ACL but came back late in the season. He can shoot a bit and is good around the basket. Chaney, Gresham are role players.

- Kelvin Sampson took over a program that had been dead for 30 years. UH hadn't won an NCAA game since they went to the finals 1984 and Sampson was a last-second shot by Michigan from getting them to Sweet 16 in 2018. They got to Sweet 16 in 2019 and were poised for a long tournament run last year. Sampson got a new arena built, an awesome workout and training facility and there's now a waiting list for season tickets. It's nothing short of incredible what he's done.

- Look forward to a fun game!

JB said the post game presser after WVU that he thinks Q will break out with a monster game soon. He’s probably the one guy we have that will have the advantage in his matchup
Q had a huge 3 at the right time against WVU... Key shot... After the 2 atrocious free throws... I feel a big one coming from him...

Houston key player Jerreau caught a hip pointer vs Rutgers

Many Houston fans believe he is team leader on Court

I don’t believe hip pointers totally cure in one week

Especially if you physically wreck havoc on it playing BB

Houston key player Jerreau caught a hip pointer vs Rutgers

Many Houston fans believe he is team leader on Court

I don’t believe hip pointers totally cure in one week

Especially if you physically wreck havoc on it playing BB

Not definitive, but this tidbit from a quick internet search [first thing that came up] might offer some order of magnitude perspective...

Recovery time from a hip pointer is between one to three weeks,” said Chad Smith, M.D., orthopedic surgeon with Norton Orthopedic Institute and sports medicine physician with Norton Sports Health. “You'll want to stay off your feet and use crutches to get around to allow the injury to heal and speed recovery time.”Dec 6, 2019

Hey guys, Houston season-ticket holder and 40-year fan here. I'll fill you in on a few of your questions.

- Yes, the AAC was rubbish this year. Memphis was down, Cincinnati sucked, UConn is gone. UH was clearly the class of the league, but the loss to East Carolina was a head scratcher. It happens, I guess. Tulsa hit two FTs with one second left to beat them and a loss at Wichita State was nothing to be ashamed about. Beyond that, they rolled through the league.

- Houston had the preseason AAC Player of the Year in Caleb Mills, but he quit early in the season (and transferred to Florida State). Amazing job by Sampson to keep the team rolling without him. Sampson has built an incredible culture. Next man up.

- The non-conference schedule was weak. You're right. They obliterated Texas Tech, leading by 20 points midway through the second half. UH didn't score a basket the final 12 minutes and still won by 11 or so. Someone said above they struggled with South Carolina, but they beat them easily. They had Alabama on the schedule in December, but COVID got in the way. That would have been a good game.

- UH isn't big, you're right, but they rebound LIKE CRAZY. Sampson is great at teaching rebounding and 3-4 guys are crashing the boards with each shot. Justin Gorham is the best rebounder. He's relentless. They don't shoot well, but they get TONS of offensive rebounds and second-chance points. You saw some of that in the closing minutes against Rutgers (Mark putback, foul).

- Grimes and Jarreau are the scorers. Grimes was a 5-star from the Houston area who started at Kansas but then came home. Sampson helped him become the best player in the league. He's smooth. Plays very steady and is tough to stop when he gets hot. He's a 1st-round draft pick. Jarreau, meanwhile, is mad man. He's also a transfer (UMass). When he wants to score, he can get to the basket at will. He can take over a game. Jarreau has the tendency to make some reckless mistakes, but he's played under control much more as the season has progressed.

- The Cougars play relentless defense. That's a Sampson trademark. Jarreau was defensive player of the year in the AAC. They are tough on defense and will get in your face and stay in your face. They want the game to be a dogfight.

- Beyond Grimes and Jarreau, the scoring is streaky. If Sasser gets hot, he will score at will. Mark is a freshman who has made some huge shots and is improving, but gets rattled. Gorham scores on putbacks. Fabian White is a 2-year starter who was supposed to be out this year with an ACL but came back late in the season. He can shoot a bit and is good around the basket. Chaney, Gresham are role players.

- Kelvin Sampson took over a program that had been dead for 30 years. UH hadn't won an NCAA game since they went to the finals 1984 and Sampson was a last-second shot by Michigan from getting them to Sweet 16 in 2018. They got to Sweet 16 in 2019 and were poised for a long tournament run last year. Sampson got a new arena built, an awesome workout and training facility and there's now a waiting list for season tickets. It's nothing short of incredible what he's done.

- Look forward to a fun game!
"...relentless defense..." "...3-4 guys are crashing the boards with each shot."

Sounds like we're facing John Thompson Era Georgetown.

I was also under the impression that the last 3 teams we've faced played relentless man-to-man defense. Did I miss something?

"...relentless defense..." "...3-4 guys are crashing the boards with each shot."

I was also under the impression that the last 3 teams we've faced played relentless man-to-man defense. Did I miss something?
I don't get the snark. I never said UH was "John Thompson Era Georgetown." Houston is relentless on defense and 3-4 guys do crash the boards. UH is 2nd in nation in scoring defense and 3rd in nation in offensive rebounds. Those are facts.

Houston is likely to put Sasser or Gorham at the FT line based on watching them this year. Sasser has a good floater and really quick first step but is small. That said, he would be the guy. So far we have seen Matt Mitchell and the WVU backup big in those spots. Neither did all that well.

Unlike WVU where you have both McBride and McNeil who can get red hot from the top of the key, it really is all about Grimes for UH there. For Jerreau you just can't let him get set but he isn't the quick release elite shooter that Grimes is.

In terms of rebounding our Guards have done a much better job coming back to help out. Buddy leaks out and Joe helps the back line on the boards. He has gotten a lot of hustle rebounds as of late off tips. Will need more of that and will need Kadary. Kadary would likely draw the recovering Jerreau would could be beneficial too. QG should be licking his chops for this matchup

Just looking at Houston's roster and year statistics. I'm coming away with a bit of a head scratcher. Perhaps those who watched them play can shed some light.

They play with a small team, two forwards and three guards is their most common lineup. But they have only five guys who play 20mpg and four are guards. Mostly they're big guards, three of them are listed at 6'5"and only Sasser (31.3mpg) is small. They don't play a center and their two forwards with the most minutes are both beefy 6'8" types. Yet they managed to dominate a big Rutgers team on the boards. As a team, Houston ranks 9th in rebounding percentage nationally. Their guards get a lot of rebounds to make up for forwards lack of height. Short teams that rebound well can be... frustrating for Syracuse. Gorham (8.6rpg in 27 mpg) in particular gets almost half his rebounds on the offensive end.

Houston's leading scorer and second best rebounder is Quincy Grimes, averaging 18 and 6 in ~33 mpg. Grimes is the straw that stirs the drink. He and Sasser are their volume shooters, both taking over 200 threes this year, averaging 37.4%... the rest of the team combined only took 279 all year, at a 34% rate. Teams that rely too heavily on one or two players to score can be contained by the zone.

They shoot 44% overall and attempt about 18ft/game, but are a stellar 5th overall in points per possession. Where is their efficiency coming from?

They earn a lot of their glowing record from defense. They rank 3rd nationally, allowing a terrific .86 points per possession... Syracuse is 143 and .984 respectively. They are very tough defensively and throw a lot of guys at you, defensively giving different looks and keeping good intensity. But they aren't elite at forcing turnovers and are bad at blocking shots. As a result of the lack of rim protection, Houston ranks 177 at opponent's 2pt shooting%, allowing a whopping 62.7% in opponents two point shots. Houston is elite at stopping 3 pointers, allowing less than 30% outside. They foul way too much, almost 25% of defensive possessions... Again, I suspect rim protection could be a problem, causing lots of fouls. Are they only deep because everybody is in foul trouble most games?

Where does their defensive efficiency come from? A foul ridden team that doesn't get turnovers and can't stop the two point shot shouldn't be elite defensively!

A real head scratcher.

I think this could be a great game for Guerrier. He has some trouble against bigger teams, but without a shot blocker, it could be his turn to carry the scoring and get to the line a lot. I expect a big game from Richmond as well.

On the other hand, we need to make sure we aren't taking too many bad threes, as their defensive strength goes up against our offensive strength. Buddy may have a hard time with a bunch of tall guards in his face all game, who are also big enough to stop the Buddy back down.

The x factor is going to be Griffin. Can he get to the basket enough and avoid the lousy three? Can he help on the boards more than the last few games?

Overall Houston is a deep, experienced, balanced team that doesn't seem to excel in any areas, but is solid top to bottom. As effective as they have been, it isn't surprising to see them a few point favorite.

EDIT stats from ESPN and

I wouldn't expect Jarreau to guard Guerrier... The size difference won't be good. Either Gresham or White seem like bigger forwards guarding Guerrier, while Gorham and Dolezaj pretend to be centers.
I haven’t watched much of Houston this year but assuming they want to pressure us and have similar size throughout, I’m guessing they will switch 1-4 at least, which has been an issue for teams playing us, cause Buddy will get switched off on Sasser who he can shoot over... if they don’t switch we will use the screen game of which has been good in the tourney.. I think the concern with that is Houston trapping or blitzing Buddy or Joe... so I agree with others that said we may see more Kadary than usual in this game... I think he is stronger with ball.. rebounds down and provides a matchup issue for Sasser...We could see a a heavy amount of 5 guys on the perimeter and drive and kicks to shooters who help off.. that’s one of our greatest advantages with the zone.. takes away opponents driving lanes if we’re playing good... I like the matchup except for the OREB .. that scares me

Houston won’t over-commit defensively like WVU, from what I’ve seen. I think SDSU’s the better comparison, with Houston having superior rebounding sadly.

Quincy and Griff being active on the boards is a must. Hope Girard can continue too, 6 defensive rebounds vs WVU, just absolutely crucial to our win.

Jeez... he’s just giving us his perspective. Chill. Do you expect him to qualify everything? “Relentless defense but not the best ever” “crashing the boards but not the best rebounding team ever”

when Refs allow people to just run and jump over people and they do it alot its very hard to control the boards. Some games yesterday highlighted that. That was also how WVU plays. if fouls dont matter it can work to just throw it up and the days you make shots as well, you are tough to beat

I think we see little of Jesse Edwards in this game. They are heavily Guard oriented team and unless Marek gets into Foul Trouble (Capital F Capital T) we will stay 6-7 deep. Griffin and Brazwell are going to be key for us. If they have high production in terms of scoring this game we win. We need rebounding against this team and Jesse Edwards does not really help our cause in this case. However, we all have been wrong about every player on this roster at least once. LOL. Go CUSE.
actually I think jesse would help a lot on the boards...he will tower over the houston players for the most part. That advantage could be key. I agree that we probably wont see much of him...I just it isn't while marek and co are getting abused on the glass.

when Refs allow people to just run and jump over people and they do it alot its very hard to control the boards. Some games yesterday highlighted that. That was also how WVU plays. if fouls dont matter it can work to just throw it up and the days you make shots as well, you are tough to beat
at the same time if you jump over someone from behind without touching them it should absolutely not be a foul but they call that often on QG and Marek.

actually I think jesse would help a lot on the boards...he will tower over the houston players for the most part. That advantage could be key. I agree that we probably wont see much of him...I just it isn't while marek and co are getting abused on the glass.

I think we WILL see a lot of Jesse -- probably about 15 minutes, and the full utilization of his fouls -- to help counter their offensive rebounding and to provide a shot blocking presence that Marek lacks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a lot of first half run.

at the same time if you jump over someone from behind without touching them it should absolutely not be a foul but they call that often on QG and Marek.
refs seem to ignore jumping on top of people but they like to call it when the guy behind jumps for a ball and the inside guy seeing it go over his head jumps back into someone..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom