How committed is SU? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How committed is SU?

Why would dino be the best recruiter possible? That makes no sense. Our ceiling for a class is like 12th-13th in the ACC no matter what?
First I’m not really in the mood to defend Dino right now, because I’m just as angry and frustrated as you are. But I do think that because of the last two decades our program has a disadvantage in recruiting in general. I’ve heard others say that Dino helps our recruiting, idk if that’s true but I’m assuming it is.

Who knows

I think they're trying, but between
  • G-Rob hire
  • Donors not pitching in to help Marrone/program
  • Conference realignment to a small extent
  • Shafer hire
  • Dino hire(?)
It's a huge hole to dig out of, and has lead to this losing perception which is hurting fan support/recruiting.

Agreed - a lot of that is an administration that was awful and no longer here but when you're explaining you're losing...

10th would probably be the ceiling, IMO. People need to get out more, everybody praying for miracles. It’s been 20 years people. I wonder if there are army fans wondering why they can’t compete for national championships anymore. I’m kidding of course but the stupidity sometimes is mind blowing

Developmental program. Nothing wrong with that. The 315 isn't pumping out talent.

If you want to fire Dino you better be okay with the wheels reaaally falling off for a year or two.

The “mass exodus” doesn’t happen if you keep Dino, it happens if you let him go. And if our recruiting is bad now that first class we put together between the end of the season and early signing day is going to be even worse.

So I’ll listen to fire Dino arguments but you completely lose me if you don’t seriously consider that things get considerably worse before they get better under a new staff.

Do you have actual names of who to bring in though, as in people who would willingly take the job and are better than him?

A zillion years ago when Al Golden, Jersey guy, was recruiting well at UVa and Temple it would've been a guy like that. Didn't wow em at Miami and now is LB coach for the Bengals. Not a lot of guys like that.

They had a first and goal to win and completely fubar-ed it every way possible and worse than our games this year. But since you're not a UNC fan like you are an SU fan it's easy to say that stuff happens.
They had a first and goal to win and completely fubar-ed it every way possible and worse than our games this year. But since you're not a UNC fan like you are an SU fan it's easy to say that stuff happens.
Pitts a good team they.came back from 23 7 to send the game to ot. Let's see Dino does in two weeks against Pitt. If your point is Mack Brown loses weird games he sure does. But he's a much better coach than Dino.

Why would dino be the best recruiter possible? That makes no sense. Our ceiling for a class is like 12th-13th in the ACC no matter what?
Our last two classes were 10th and 13th.

Don't think we can ever out-recruit others in the ACC. That means, we need great tactical coaches. X's and O's guys that can maximize our talent to win games. Honestly though, I'm very disappointed in the level of recruiting. I mean, we are an ACC program for Pete's sake.

Pitts a good team they.came back from 23 7 to send the game to ot. Let's see Dino does in two weeks against Pitt. If your point is Mack Brown loses weird games he sure does. But he's a much better coach than Dino.

He got blown out against GT, put up 10 and lost to common opponent VT, lost by 10 to FSU at home. Top ACC talent.

Either he's awful or Dino's not getting enough credit for coaching up his recruits.

Mack Brown looked like he was 100 years old and in complete misery in the game against Pitt. I wonder how much longer he stays in the game,

If you want to fire Dino you better be okay with the wheels reaaally falling off for a year or two.

The “mass exodus” doesn’t happen if you keep Dino, it happens if you let him go. And if our recruiting is bad now that first class we put together between the end of the season and early signing day is going to be even worse.

So I’ll listen to fire Dino arguments but you completely lose me if you don’t seriously consider that things get considerably worse before they get better under a new staff.

good post, and the season isn’t over. Brain trust writing off the next 2 already

‘yep he’s back. They still have a shot at a bowl game. the fandom swings are crazy and I get it. But we could very well win one of the next 2
^^^Right here, I agree...I mean really folks. Stuff happens. Upgrades to the dome, AD paid Dino when EVERY person on this board pretty much wanted him extended, upgrades elsewhere per 007 previously. It's been a rollercoaster, I get it... we all want program success. People keep kvetching about the same damn things. Again if you want Dino out so bad please take a snapshot of your donation to buying him out, otherwise give it a rest. 2 games to go...bad day today, rebound next week and get 6. We have played everyone but Ville tough...shake it off and move on.

Last edited:
He got blown out against GT, put up 10 and lost to common opponent VT, lost by 10 to FSU at home. Top ACC talent.

Either he's awful or Dino's not getting enough credit for coaching up his recruits.
Macks gone to a bowl game every year at UNC including the Orange Bowl last year. We have played one ranked team this year talent isn't the problem.

Talent is part of the problem too, IMHO. I like Shrader a lot, but he’s not a good passer. Our OL is, at best, fine in some spots with holes in others. Our WRs are inconsistent. And this the side of the ball that Dino was supposed to be some kind of savant at. Our kicking game is lousy. We find some kids that are great talents, no doubt. But our talent is not in the top half of the conference, to put it mildly.
Wideout issue is pretty clear. Knew that going in before we lost Harris. Have plenty of guys who are good #3 options but you can’t just make up quality with quantity. I think Alford could be a really solid piece. Today the wideouts weren’t a glaring issue though, entire game was just bad. Speaking more broadly there.

Regarding overall talent though.. when was last time we had a syracuse player make plays during an NFL game on offense? We’ve had guys make rosters in the league and be contributors on defense in recent years. Any offense guys I can’t think of that played in the last 6 years? Not practice squad, legit game snaps on Sunday. I know it’s real competitive making a 53 man roster, but it’s still a useful measuring stick.

RB is a strange position in the league, but Tucker should be right there when it’s his time, health etc pending (please).

Isn't that Wildhack's job
Logically, doesn’t one have to be fair to Wildhack? How can he replace Dino with a better HC if there isn’t one willing to come here? The man isn’t a magician.

Macks gone to a bowl game every year at UNC including the Orange Bowl last year. We have played one ranked team this year talent isn't the problem.

So Dino is bringing in enough talent to compete in the ACC? Is he developing the guys? What is it.

Logically, doesn’t one have to be fair to Wildhack? How can he replace Dino with a better HC if there isn’t one willing to come here? The man isn’t a magician.
I refuse to believe we can't attract a quality coach to the ACC. If the fact is that Dino Babers is the best coach we can possibly get...we need to reassess our commitment to playing at this level.

So Dino is bringing in enough talent to compete in the ACC? Is he developing the guys? What is it.
What is your definition of competing? We were 2 and 10 last year. This year isn't over but this is a really bad Acc this year. I could coach Sean Tucker and Shrader how much has he been developed here and how much took place at Msu? Dino is supposed to be an offensive guy and our receivers are not acc caliber.

I refuse to believe we can't attract a quality coach to the ACC. If the fact is that Dino Babers is the best coach we can possibly get...we need to reassess our commitment to playing at this level.
We’re 5-5, seems like we’re right where we belong. Not withstanding today obviously. Let’s not forget that we took WF to overtime.

Do you have actual names of who to bring in though, as in people who would willingly take the job and are better than him?

Pretty sure there’s like 5 threads with pages of names.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom