How committed is SU? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How committed is SU?

I think they do want to win but almost no matter what at this point Dino is back for another year.

Even though today was awful, we have been very competitive in most of our games this year, and we have won a fair share of them. Real progress was made this year. Dino made a brave call in replacing DeVito at QB.

Our best WR, DeVito and 5 other guys have entered the portal during the season - most in the nation.

Let's see how we play these last 2 games. It would be great if they can find one more win.

We’re 5-5, seems like we’re right where we belong. Not withstanding today obviously. Let’s not forget that we took WF to overtime.
Issue for me is not the 5-5 record. It's the 1-3 games we threw away by (1) abysmal coaching decisions, (2) inept roster management (Shrader vs Devito). We pull out any one of those 3 games and we're not talking about any of this.
We are simply not equipped to throw games away by anything other than play on the field. When coaches continually make mistakes as reflected in inept, incompetent team play, they should be held accountable. And yes...I know Dino's not going anywhere, and there's still 2 games left.
Ask me how I feel after we blow out/get blown out next week...because either one can happen with this team.

Issue for me is not the 5-5 record. It's the 1-3 games we threw away by (1) abysmal coaching decisions, (2) inept roster management (Shrader vs Devito). We pull out any one of those 3 games and we're not talking about any of this.
We are simply not equipped to throw games away by anything other than play on the field. When coaches continually make mistakes as reflected in inept, incompetent team play, they should be held accountable. And yes...I know Dino's not going anywhere, and there's still 2 games left.
Ask me how I feel after we blow out/get blown out next week...because either one can happen with this team.
I can’t disagree with any of this. You’re not wrong.

Exactly. It is how we got to 5-5, when we could be 6-4 or 7-3. Though if we were 6-3 coming into this game and got the same result, how would we feel? I’d probably give you 1 stinker a year, but there is the evidence of what has been listed previously that hasn’t improved (lack of discipline, poor clock management, etc.) and quite frankly embarrasses my alma mater.

At this point, there is no good decision. Except to not make a decision.

I may be the only one, but I DO think it's time to weigh whether SU should even be playing P-5 football. Which, let's face it, means weighing whether we should play football at all since it makes no sense to move down a level.

I've been at best a casual follower of SU football since the end of the MacPherson/PP years. Meaning, I follow the team, but haven't been engaged. Just one person, I know. But I suspect that disinterest trumps anger for a lot of people. Which is kind-of a program's death knell.

Dino is a below-average coach. He is a horrible recruiter. And the University has fooled the fan base into thinking they have "no money" to fire anyone and 75% of the fan base falls for that nonsense so it creates a sense of "apathy" around the football program.

That's why nobody goes to the games anymore (in regards to what attendance used to be 20 years ago) and why nobody locally even cares about the football program.

And half the diehards on this message board just spew the company line of, "well we can't afford to fire him" or the "who else are we gonna get" and then they go in "spin" mode to justify the terrible job he has done.

Really?? Why? Because he left for an NFL gig?

IMO Marrone and Dino have the same flaws, both are terrible with in game management, use conservative playcalling, have undisciplined teams, and aren't very innovative.

At this point, there is no good decision. Except to not make a decision.

I may be the only one, but I DO think it's time to weigh whether SU should even be playing P-5 football. Which, let's face it, means weighing whether we should play football at all since it makes no sense to move down a level.

I've been at best a casual follower of SU football since the end of the MacPherson/PP years. Meaning, I follow the team, but haven't been engaged. Just one person, I know. But I suspect that disinterest trumps anger for a lot of people. Which is kind-of a program's death knell.
That’s nuts man…

Lance Leipold already starting to right the ship at Kansas?
Leading 21-14 @ Texas.

IMO Marrone and Dino have the same flaws, both are terrible with in game management, use conservative playcalling, have undisciplined teams, and aren't very innovative.
Yeah they both suck I guess….oy vey

That’s nuts man…
Didn't figure it would be popular. But 'That's nuts man...' isn't much of a response. It may well be nuts.

So, why is it nuts? I'm serious. I know all about the tradition, I revel in it. Is it just the TV money? Because I don't see much of a future for the program, regardless of who the AD and the coach are. The obstacles are almost impossible to overcome, IMO. We're approaching 'good money after bad' territory.

Last edited:
Yeah they both suck I guess

And I appreciate what Marrone did here, he got the team competitive quickly under tough circumstances. But I saw him in the NFL as a Bills fan and his flaws as a coach got exemplified.

We’re 5-5 and people are acting like we’re 0-10… the sky isn’t falling.
Agreed. if Every team went by these peoples standards every 500 and below team would drop the sport

again, nuts…

We’re not getting anyone better than Dino. He’s not a bad coach, but he does make bad mistakes. I just wish he would learn from his mistakes, for all of our sake.
Seriously. We are not getting any better than 1 winning season out of 6.

We’re not getting anyone better than Dino. He’s not a bad coach, but he does make bad mistakes. I just wish he would learn from his mistakes, for all of our sake.
Too much ego

Agreed. if Every team went by these peoples standards every 500 and below team would drop the sport

again, nuts…

Right. Because, this is an aberration, not a trend. Except, it's a pretty consistent trend. There are obvious reasons why it's a trend, and it's not just the coach or the AD.

This is not a hair-trigger reaction from me. Been thinking about this for some time. Which likely means that I've been wrong for a long time. But I don't think it's a 'no-brainer'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom