How committed is SU? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

How committed is SU?

If you want to fire Dino you better be okay with the wheels reaaally falling off for a year or two.

The “mass exodus” doesn’t happen if you keep Dino, it happens if you let him go. And if our recruiting is bad now that first class we put together between the end of the season and early signing day is going to be even worse.

So I’ll listen to fire Dino arguments but you completely lose me if you don’t seriously consider that things get considerably worse before they get better under a new staff.
Thats not true.

everybody has a right to their opinion, but Doug Marrone was 1000X better coach then Dino has been.

He has 1 more winning season at SU then Dino has.

Better coach? Possibly, but certainly not by 1000x

everybody has a right to their opinion, but Doug Marrone was 1000X better coach then Dino has been.
That's not saying much. I dropped my seasons tickets because of Moron. Not a college coach at all. Buffalo did us a huge favor

Right. Because, this is an aberration, not a trend. Except, it's a pretty consistent trend. There are obvious reasons why it's a trend, and it's not just the coach or the AD.

This is not a hair-trigger reaction from me. Been thinking about this for some time. Which likely means that I've been wrong for a long time. But I don't think it's a 'no-brainer'.
So again, the solution is to drop down a level, give up mega ACC bucks, for what purpose???

Let me preface my post by saying this is NOT about whether Dino should be retained or cut loose. Rather, it is about the whole "best we can get" narrative.

I agree with what you are saying. Furthermore, it isn't about whether or not some think he is the best we can get. It all comes down to "does this guy's performance merit what we are paying him?" End of story.

Also, if...and I emphasize "if"... Dino turns out to be a guy who can only rarely have a winning season, then a smart AD says "the next guy may not do better, but we know that this guy isn't the answer and we need to stop paying him." To do otherwise would be exceedingly dumb business.

In the past 72 years...ie beginning with Ben...we have had eight coaches. Dino is basically tied with Frank Maloney for 5th of those eight in winning percentage, slightly ahead of Shafer, and GRob bringing up the rear. If...and again, I emphasize "if"...in the end, Dino flames out at SU I am pretty sure that it is possible to get someone who can do better than that.
If Dino wasn't so Charasmatic nobody would be defending him. He runs a clean program,the kids seem to like him but the results are terrible, his team isnt well prepared and his in game coaching, clock management, and decision making is weak and has cost us games. He has no east coast ties and been through multiple coordinators. Other than the 1-10 disaster and all but every other season a disaster he is a heck of a coach.

Issue for me is not the 5-5 record. It's the 1-3 games we threw away by (1) abysmal coaching decisions, (2) inept roster management (Shrader vs Devito). We pull out any one of those 3 games and we're not talking about any of this.
We are simply not equipped to throw games away by anything other than play on the field. When coaches continually make mistakes as reflected in inept, incompetent team play, they should be held accountable. And yes...I know Dino's not going anywhere, and there's still 2 games left.
Ask me how I feel after we blow out/get blown out next week...because either one can happen with this team.
Well said.

I stand with 1000x, he left Syracuse got two NFL Jobs, led the Jaguars to the playoffs, ohhh and got picked up by Nick Saban at Alabama. Dino would be lucky to coach Ithaca college when we finally get rid of him.

He has a .388 record in the NFL which balances out talent among teams unlike college. Getting an NFL job isn't a huge accomplishment with how many coaches get recycled every year.

So again, the solution is to drop down a level, give up mega ACC bucks, for what purpose???
Hello? I said that dropping down a level makes no sense either.

The only argument that seems to be carrying water is 'the mega ACC bucks'. Maybe that's it.

Wallow in (at best) mediocrity in exchange for 'mega ACC bucks'. If so, then there's no need for all these threads about what's wrong with SU football. It's a quid pro quo. Mediocre football in exchange for mega ACC bucks. Game. Set. Match. Save everybody's mental health.

Nick Saban is paying him to be the OL coach, not the HC.
He has extensive experience as not only an offensive line coach, but also as a head coach at Syracuse and in the NFL with Buffalo and Jacksonville. Doug has an excellent track record for recruiting and developing players. I'm excited about his ability to help our players reach their full potential."Jan 25, 2021 That's the Alabama Head Coach, who just happens to be the best college coach of all time saying Doug Marrone is the guy he wants to have help his players reach their full potential... as for Dino Babers?

Hello? I said that dropping down a level makes no sense either.

The only argument that seems to be carrying water is 'the mega ACC bucks'. Maybe that's it.

Wallow in (at best) mediocrity in exchange for 'mega ACC bucks'. If so, then there's no need for all these threads about what's wrong with SU football. It's a quid pro quo. Mediocre football in exchange for mega ACC bucks. Game. Set. Match. Save everybody's mental health.
Then stop posting on these threads to save your own mental health

enjoy the symphony instead, it’s relaxing

755,000 this season and $900,000 in 2022. more then most D1 non power 5 coaches is the answer

Considering Alabama spends more on football than a lot of other schools do, it's the same % equivalent for what an average program budget pays their OL coach.

He has 1 more winning season at SU then Dino has.

Better coach? Possibly, but certainly not by 1000x

Your discounting/dislike for Marrone has been well documented.

However, implying that Marrone had only one more winning season than Dino, therefore, in the same realm of coach is somewhat foolish. The program was in the abyss after GRob. What Marrone did in being competitive, win games, right the ship, etc. and no longer being the laughing stock on national TV sporting shows, was nothing short of miraculous. Dino’s also been here longer, so there’s that too.

Not to mention, the infrastructure, etc. that Marrone had to work with from the administration/athletic department/powers that be, isn’t close to being in the same stratosphere of what Dino has been graciously afforded.

Night & Day!

IMO Marrone and Dino have the same flaws, both are terrible with in game management, use conservative playcalling, have undisciplined teams, and aren't very innovative.
Marrone is a much better coach he was a few plays away from having the Jacksonville jaguars in the sb.

Your discounting/dislike for Marrone has been well documented.

However, implying that Marrone had only one more winning season than Dino, therefore, in the same realm of coach is somewhat foolish. The program was in the abyss after GRob, what Marrone did in being competitive, win games, right the ship, etc. and no longer the laughing stock on national TV sporting shows, was nothing short of miraculous.

Not to mention, the infrastructure, etc. that Marrone had to work with from the administration/athletic department/powers that be, isn’t close to being in the same stratosphere of what Dino has been graciously afforded.

Night & Day!

Is the program not still in the abyss? Marrone had to sell that G-Rob's tenure was a fluke, Dino has to sell that G-Rob/Shafer/Marrone's tenure were flukes.

Now, Dino has been given more resources than any of those coaches had and he absolutely deserves blame for the current state of the program. But Dino is also coaching in a tougher conference.

I'm totally fine with moving on from Dino at this point, there's enough evidence that points that he's not the guy. I just don't see the logic in hiring a coach that has similar flaws to him. It's a Rutgers move and we're better than Rutgers ;)

Is the program not still in the abyss? Marrone had to sell that G-Rob's tenure was a fluke, Dino has to sell that G-Rob/Shafer/Marrone's tenure were flukes.

Now, Dino has been given more resources than any of those coaches had and he absolutely deserves blame for the current state of the program. But Dino is also coaching in a tougher conference.

I'm totally fine with moving on from Dino at this point, there's enough evidence that points that he's not the guy. I just don't see the logic in hiring a coach that has similar flaws to him. It's a Rutgers move and we're better than Rutgers ;)
For a flawed guy he gets hired a lot. The Bills wanted him so did the jags. As did Saban. Ask Tom Coughlin about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom