How do the pro scouts view Battle. | Syracusefan.com

How do the pro scouts view Battle.

SBU72

All Conference
A good, talented player worthy of draft consideration?
A 20 ppg scorer because he is the best player on a mediocure team?
Is he streaky or inconsistent?

good questions.
I'd guess that if it was based only on his game performances he wouldn't sniff the 1st round - but I think he'll be one of those guys whose workouts/measurements will help him alot

It is an interesting question. His shooting form is a bit odd. He's got a hitch that may concern scouts, because it slows down his release a bit. As we've been saying since last night, he needs to do more to be efficient with the ball, including finding open teammates when he's doubled.

Always hard to determine what they think about his defense because of our system.

I'd love to hear from folks who know scout types.

he is tough to defend yet several teams in a row have made it a struggle on him and they dont have the best players.. to me he needs to learn some postup to take advantage of when smaller guys are on him. when teams play zone our total lack of shooting means they over play him. still he had a ton of good looks the last 2 games and only 1 half of solid shooting.. if he does the SB game second half like last night we win that by 15 too.

Is he sniffing any of the 2018 mock drafts? I didn't see him at all on NBADraft.net, and he was late 1st round on another one I saw. I don't pay for ESPN Insider, so I can't see where they have him. I know everyone is saying to enjoy him this year, but is it really a sure thing that he's gone? Obviously depends on how much noise we make in ACC play, but it doesn't seem like he's on too many radars as of now.

My NBA scout friend had not seen us so far this season as of the last time I spoke with him, which was only a week or so back.

Generically, he always says about Cuse players that the D is almost impossible to evaluate due to our exclusive use of the Zone. Evaluating the D is especially important for the guys who are more borderline in terms of either the first round or their being drafted at all.

Just two cents of my personal opinion, I think Ty needs to get that hitch out of his three point stroke and improve his long range consistency. In order to do that he will need to do work over the off-season and he should return for one more year to show scouts what he has accomplished.

I just can't see him in the first round with that flaw in his stroke. He is a solid athlete, but not an elite athlete in NBA terms.

So you have to ask, why would any NBA team draft a player with a flawed stroke, average (in NBA terms) athleticism, and unknown defensive abilities in the first round ?

So he will probably have to decide, does he want to go in the draft as most likely a second round pick, maybe even end up undrafted, or will he work on correcting his flaws & comeback for one more season, and then get drafted in the first round (if the flaws are fixed) ???

My NBA scout friend had not seen us so far this season as of the last time I spoke with him, which was only a week or so back.

Generically, he always says about Cuse players that the D is almost impossible to evaluate due to our exclusive use of the Zone. Evaluating the D is especially important for the guys who are more borderline in terms of either the first round or their being drafted at all.

Just two cents of my personal opinion, I think Ty needs to get that hitch out of his three point stroke and improve his long range consistency. In order to do that he will need to do work over the off-season and he should return for one more year to show scouts what he has accomplished.

I just can't see him in the first round with that flaw in his stroke. He is a solid athlete, but not an elite athlete in NBA terms.

So you have to ask, why would any NBA team draft a player with a flawed stroke, average (in NBA terms) athleticism, and unknown defensive abilities in the first round ?

So he will probably have to decide, does he want to go in the draft as most likely a second round pick, maybe even end up undrafted, or will he work on correcting his flaws & comeback for one more season, and then get drafted in the first round (if the flaws are fixed) ???
will all depend on how he grades out when he goes thru process in April/May

There is no way I see him coming back for one more year. If he did, we would be terrific.

There is no way I see him coming back for one more year. If he did, we would be terrific.
yeah I think it will come down to - even if there is stuff he needs to improve upon he can do that improvement in the league/G-league while earning $

yeah I think it will come down to - even if there is stuff he needs to improve upon he can do that improvement in the league/G-league while earning $

I think he can become an elite shooter at the next level because of quickness and ability to make space for his shot.

I do not presume to know his family's financial circumstances, but unless those circumstances are really dire, why would he leave for G-league $$$ IF the family concludes he will not get drafted in the first round this season, but that one more season of development would get him there ???

A good, talented player worthy of draft consideration?
A 20 ppg scorer because he is the best player on a mediocure team?
Is he streaky or inconsistent?
This is going to sound odd given how much more he is scoring this season, but he hasn't improved a lot since last season. His FG and 3P %s are down as are his assists per game.

But more important than stats, he is not finishing well on the fast break, he remains one dimensional driving (can only go one way) and can only hit 3s when he is open. Though he showed an ability to hit step back jumpers early that has petered away. He isn't making 3s off the bounce and isn't recognizing double teams and passing 0ut to the open man. Sometimes he gets frustrated at his imitations and forces awful shots.

I think he is going to be a good defender and he has the potential to be a fine NBA player but he has work to do. Learning how to be 'the man' is not easy. Perhaps his best attribute is his willingness to take big shots in crunch time when he tends to be at his best. That is a big deal in my book and makes up for a lot of other things.

He has a chance to wow the scouts playing conference games. Let's see what happens the next couple of months.

He is going to test the waters...beyond that it will depend on what his inner circle is telling him.

Don’t know why but I could see Tyus coming back. Just a feeling I have...no other insight.

Would at least help his stock if he looked for his open teammates around him as he’s nearly always doubled/tripled while penetrating. Instead he often throws up a low percentage shot.

Would rather a 15/5/4 battle than a 20 ppg iso player

I think he can become an elite shooter at the next level because of quickness and ability to make space for his shot.

I'll have to disagree here. I don't think he will ever be an elite shooter at any level. Adequate - yes. Elite - no.

He’s quite pigeon-toed isn’t he? I haven’t seen many players (maybe not since ‘Nique) move/walk around like Tyus does on any level college or pro. Not sure if that is an issue for Tyus with the scouts. I would think his mechanics are.

He’s quicker than Mali and can score in more ways. Mali a much more pure and better looking stroke. I can see Tyus being pretty decent in the pros though when space is less clogged. I can’t get a feel of if/when he will be drafted but it Mali can then Tyus sure can.

They like Oshae better.

Tyus could be a first rounder based on combine but he will need a run of some sort (ACC or ncaa) to show he’s the man.

If we make the NCAAs that means battle played his way into the 1st round.

Based on everyone else’s knowledge, I’m about 95% convinced there’s no shot of him coming back.

That being said, if he continues to struggle the way he has the last couple weeks, I don’t think it would be very wise to enter and he’d likely be a 2nd rounder (IMO).

Then again, what do I know.

I will say unrelated to his decision is the seeming tendency of Syracuse players to leave early.

Ennis made a smart decision based on hype and his stock not getting any higher. Lydon and McCullough both went first round so tough to fault them, either.

Jerami Grant has made himself into a fine role player in the league and is in his fourth season in the NBA. He’s doing fine.

As much as I would have loved to have seen all these guys stay longer, all four probably made the best decision they could have. Just wish we could pull a Duke or UNC and keep a Grayson Allen or Justin Jackson-type player for longer than expected.

Based on everyone else’s knowledge, I’m about 95% convinced there’s no shot of him coming back.

That being said, if he continues to struggle the way he has the last couple weeks, I don’t think it would be very wise to enter and he’d likely be a 2nd rounder (IMO).

Then again, what do I know.

I will say unrelated to his decision is the seeming tendency of Syracuse players to leave early.

Ennis made a smart decision based on hype and his stock not getting any higher. Lydon and McCullough both went first round so tough to fault them, either.

Jerami Grant has made himself into a fine role player in the league and is in his fourth season in the NBA. He’s doing fine.

As much as I would have loved to have seen all these guys stay longer, all four probably made the best decision they could have. Just wish we could pull a Duke or UNC and keep a Grayson Allen or Justin Jackson-type player for longer than expected.

Or an MSU for that matter. They get top level players that seem to stay; Draymond Green and Valentine come to mind, there have been others too. Maybe I'm an outlier in my thinking, but I'd much rather be a 'Nova program today than SU; getting solid 3-4 years guys and being ranked consistently top 5, top 10, deep tourney runs, etc. I hate how we have missed the tourney the past 2 out of 3 seasons, perennial .500 team in our league which has yet to even win a one ACC tourney game. That FF run to Houston was incredible, but we were a 10 seed where most of us thought we were out after losing to a mediocre at best Pitt team 3 times that year.

He has a negative assist to turnover ratio, his shooting numbers aren't great, and he has below athleticism for a 2 in the NBA.

But it only takes one GM to believe in him.

I'm not entirely sure he gets much better than he is.

He's a great college player and I love him on our team and is scoring some points, but everything else isn't NBA material. I think Mali was a much bigger prospect and he was late first round.

what i dont get is why the SU kids seem to leave and get drafted when there are about 20 other kids who look the same playing all over who never get a sniff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom