How Does This Happen? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How Does This Happen?

Does anyone think that Boeheim's best years are ahead of him? This is the toughest thing to overcome.

Who knows? Only time will tell. If you had asked that question 10 years ago people might have said no. He then ripped off 5 of the best years of his career with 4 or 5 sweet 16 trips. 2 consecutive Elite 8 trips for the first time in his career and a final four.

You just don't know.

I agree that we need a big 2018, but we need something for this year, or we will become Bc.

A couple mediocre years (one in which we made the freakin final four) and one potentially bad year(assuming the worst for next year) does not make us "BC". BC has never gone to a final four even in their best years, their down years are significantly worse than ours, their average years are significantly worse than ours, etc. BC wouldn't even be in the running for recruits like Tucker and Green. I may be forgetting someone but I can't remember them getting a stud recruit since Chris Herron almost 25 years ago, who was local.

Last edited:
Who knows? Only time will tell. If you had asked that question 10 years ago people might have said no. He then ripped off 5 of the best years of his career with 4 or 5 sweet 16 trips. 2 consecutive Elite 8 trips for the first time in his career and a final four.

You just don't know.

Well ten years ago today we had Green, Flynn, Jardine and Jackson coming in.

So it wouldn't have been unreasonable to think things were going to be good down the road.

You just don't know.

I wouldn't bet against him but I believe that this perception of Boeheim's best days being behind him is what they are most struggling against on the recruiting front. K is nearly as old and coming off another medical issue this past season but he also has the better resume, no NCAA black marks (right or wrong), and at least sustained regular season success every year that keeps them in the headlines for months at a time.

A couple mediocre years (one in which we made the freakin final four) and one potentially bad year(assuming the worst for next year) does not make us "BC". BC has never gone to a final four even in their best years, their down years are significantly worse than ours, their average years are significantly worse than ours, etc. BC wouldn't even be in the running for recruits like Tucker and Green. I may be forgetting someone but I can't remember them getting a stud recruit since Chris Herron almost 25 years ago, who was local.

Reggie Jackson is the only one I can remember.

What were the star ratings/rankings for Warrick, Pace, Forth and Edelin? I'm guessing Edelin was the highest rated of the bunch.

Does anyone think that Boeheim's best years are ahead of him? This is the toughest thing to overcome.

When he was lame duck he started to sit back and let Hop and the other assistants move to the forefront. Not going to see that again and that will pay off

When he was lame duck he started to sit back and let Hop and the other assistants move to the forefront. Not going to see that again and that will pay off

I'd like to believe that but how do we know that? And you're assuming that this is all that's necessary to right the ship. If we now have a new and improved Boeheim, it doesn't seem to have made a difference thus far. Hopefully it will in the future but by then other things like a sustained downward trend in W-L records might blunt any impact he has.

I agree with all of that, but this year has the potential to be really bad.

We'll be starting a ACC POY candidate at guard and another potential future first round pick at forward. We also have two more slots to fill for 2017, and there's a lot that can still happen. Nobody here knew who Marek was 2 weeks ago, and now people are saying we have to land him. Let's see who we get first

Maybe you're right, but it's still too early to write us off for next year

The problem is that acc poy guy is going to be the focal point of every opponent and they will do whatever it takes to stop him, I like TT, but he is a black hole on defense right now, he needs to improve on that end a lot, and we don't have a pg, we still need two more players to be decent.

What were the star ratings/rankings for Warrick, Pace, Forth and Edelin? I'm guessing Edelin was the highest rated of the bunch.

Edelin was a 4 star I believe, Warrick was barely rated at all, I don't believe he was even a 3 star, Forth was a top 150 guy I believe, I honestly don't remember where Pace was.

Hey guys remember that recruiting class made up of unheralded guys we brought in seventeen years ago? We're due!

Just feels like momentum is going in the wrong direction, and has been ever since Ennis/Grant left.

We had to beg, borrow and steal to get Battle to come, and he's basically the only guy that's a consensus top recruit that we've gotten the last two years. White and Gillon were 5th year, band aid guys who were decent but ultimately will be a blip on the screen.

I think Brissett and Sidibe are nice, four-year players and are going to help build the program's depth back up to where it should be, but they're not even Top 100 guys. Let alone Top 50. You can argue Brissett should be and I'd agree, but this class gets a C- as compared to what it could have/should have been.

Probation, no NCAA's two of the last three years, scholarship reduction. Trending downward. Need a big 2018 and to at least make the NCAA Tournament this year. Hope they can pull it off. Won't be easy.

Didn't Duke just beg borrow and steal to get Jordan Tucker

Didn't Duke just beg borrow and steal to get Jordan Tucker

No. They offered. We had offered Battle many months before. Not apples to apples.

Last edited:
I agree with all of that, but this year has the potential to be really bad.
Even if it is, that doesn't make us BC. It just makes it a bad year. UNC, Duke, UCLA, Indiana have all had them. We are one of the few programs who have not had a season like that in my sports fandom lifetime.

Even if it is, that doesn't make us BC. It just makes it a bad year. UNC, Duke, UCLA, Indiana have all had them. We are one of the few programs who have not had a season like that in my sports fandom lifetime.

I am strictly talking about next year.

Don't know, but Edelin was definitely the stud in that class. Mark Konecny was also in that class and was considered a strong prospect, but that flamed out quickly. I don't think he lasted past Thanksgiving.

I believe Pace's ratings dropped a bit due to an injury? That's how I remember it, could be wrong though.

Warrick was the backup plan to Hodge, but he started getting some hype later on and it became clear he had a chance to develop into something because of that athleticism.

People were around here were pretty excited about that class.

We had offered Battle many months before. Not apples to apples.
Not according to Tucker. He said he was Duke's Plan B for Knox all along and that's why he waited.

Don't know, but Edelin was definitely the stud in that class. Mark Konecny was also in that class and was considered a strong prospect, but that flamed out quickly. I don't think he lasted past Thanksgiving.

I believe Pace's ratings dropped a bit due to an injury? That's how I remember it, could be wrong though.

Warrick was the backup plan to Hodge, but he started getting some hype later on and it became clear he had a chance to develop into something because of that athleticism.

People were around here were pretty excited about that class.
I left out Konecny because he didn't last (fallout from the Edelin fiasco, right?), but I think much of the excitement was due to him and Edelin, along with the potential of Warrick.

miserly luv company in threads like this
(well really all over the board in every thread of late)

I left out Konecny because he didn't last (fallout from the Edelin fiasco, right?), but I think much of the excitement was due to him and Edelin, along with the potential of Warrick.

I think many were excited about Forth and actually thought he'd be better than he actually was.

And I know Pace was well regarded too. I think he turned out about like people realistically hoped...not a star, but a good, solid player. I think most people around here thought all 5 would be good players for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom