Hunter Dickinson | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Hunter Dickinson

I'll respond to comments about Judah and NIL since nothing is happening in this thread regarding Hunter. I would expect Judah has already received informal offers from teams, so he doesn't have to enter the portal unless he definitely wants to leave or drive up those offers. That would at least be my best guess based on what has been going on in this wild wild west we're living in now.

I'll respond to comments about Judah and NIL since nothing is happening in this thread regarding Hunter. I would expect Judah has already received informal offers from teams, so he doesn't have to enter the portal unless he definitely wants to leave or drive up those offers. That would at least be my best guess based on what has been going on in this wild wild west we're living in now.
If I were Judah, I’d enter the portal field offers and if he wants to come back make us match it.

5 mil for a second round pick? Dumb.
Why would they care where he gets drafted? They know what will help them and what won't. A lot better than some internet poster. They also know what the market rate is. I would also be surprised if it is as much as 5 million but I don't know what they market rate is. Neither does anyone else here.

How is it dumb? How much money does a national championship bring to a university? How much easier is it to get good players when a team has success?
Hunter Dickinson doesn’t guarantee a championship though, so it’s largely irrelevant how much money a championship could bring on its own. Even if he did make that much of a difference, you would still need to risk adjust the value of a player based on their likelihood of delivering that goal, I doubt it comes out to 5 million.

If I were Judah, I’d enter the portal field offers and if he wants to come back make us match it.

I would think it would be a surprise if that hasn't already happened to some degree.

Hunter Dickinson doesn’t guarantee a championship though, so it’s largely irrelevant how much money a championship could bring on its own. Even if he did make that much of a difference, you would still need to risk adjust the value of a player based on their likelihood of delivering that goal, I doubt it comes out to 5 million.
Doesn’t guarantee a championship, but we’d be closer to one with him than Carey, Patterson and Hima combined.

Melo signing with us didn’t guarantee one either, put us in the position to win it.

Doesn’t guarantee a championship, but we’d be closer to one with him than Carey, Patterson and Hima combined.

Melo signing with us didn’t guarantee one either, put us in the position to win it.
But probably didn't pay melo $5M (or $3M when adjusted for inflation)

People…stop believing everything you read on the internet
True or not, a conversation can be had about an outrageous value. If he doesn't get 5M, it only makes it even clearer he was never, and should never be, worth 5M

But probably didn't pay melo $5M (or $3M when adjusted for inflation)
And if we wouldn't pay him someone would’ve and where would we have been? NIT?

Sprinkle a bunch of 100k guys on a roster and see where we’re at, last year will look like a great year.

And if we wouldn't pay him someone would’ve and where would we have been? NIT?

Sprinkle a bunch of 100k guys on a roster and see where we’re at, last year will look like a great year.
The point is not that players have no worth. It is that they aren't worth exuberant amounts, especially if you're basing their value off the expectation of delivering a championship (a highly unlikely event). In a world where everyone has infinite money, yeah outbid who ever you have to get the best team together (like the NBA essentially) but we, and many other schools, do not have infinite money which means you need to risk adjust your valuations or else you will find yourself getting a negative return on your investment. If you think a championship is worth 30M, hunter would need to improve your chances pretty drastically to command 5M of that 30M. Someone might pay that, and good for them, doesnt make it any less dumb (and melo is FAR better than hunter will ever be).

The point is not that players have no worth. It is that they aren't worth exuberant amounts, especially if you're basing their value off the expectation of delivering a championship (a highly unlikely event). In a world where everyone has infinite money, yeah outbid who ever you have to get the best team together (like the NBA essentially) but we, and many other schools, do not have infinite money which means you need to risk adjust your valuations or else you will find yourself getting a negative return on your investment. If you think a championship is worth 30M, hunter would need to improve your chances pretty drastically to command 5M of that 30M. Someone might pay that, and good for them, doesnt make it any less dumb (and melo is FAR better than hunter will ever be).
You don’t think Melo was worth 3 million to the university and the city?

It’s funny you used that number, that’s the exact amount he donated to the university for the Melo center.

Because you don’t think players are worth 3 mil, we wouldn’t have a title, we wouldn’t have the Melo center, and we probably wouldn’t have gotten a lot of recruits.

Why are some of our fans on here encouraging, even practically begging Judah to enter the portal? Good grief. “If I was Judah….” Well, guess what? You’re not. He’s focused on preparing for the draft combine right now.

You don’t think Melo was worth 3 million to the university and the city?

It’s funny you used that number, that’s the exact amount he donated to the university for the Melo center.

Because you don’t think players are worth 3 mil, we wouldn’t have a title, we wouldn’t have the Melo center, and we probably wouldn’t have gotten a lot of recruits.
I think melo is NOW worth $3M, because he delivered what we desired, but that doesn't mean he was worth it in 2002. Now that you know the results of your investment, of course anyone would make that investment, because there is no risk and the goods are in hand. If someone offered me the chance to go back in time and invest 10K in Netflix in 2002 I would do it in a heart beat, but if you asked me to invest 10K today, I am not sure I would take that advice because the future is inherently unclear and it is unlikely I will see a 2000% return in 20 years.

Next year is an unknown, could hunter be an all American that drops 30 and 15 a game a lead a team to a championship? It's possible, but it is also entirely possible that he blows his knee out in game 2 and never sees the floor again. Are you so confident in his ability to deliver that you would be willing to commit all that capital to him just because he might get you over the finish line? That's ballsy.

I think melo is NOW worth $3M, because he delivered what we desired, but that doesn't mean he was worth it in 2002. Now that you know the results of your investment, of course anyone would make that investment, because there is no risk and the goods are in hand. If someone offered me the chance to go back in time and invest 10K in Netflix in 2002 I would do it in a heart beat, but if you asked me to invest 10K today, I am not sure I would take that advice because the future is inherently unclear.

Next year is an unknown, could hunter be an all American that drops 30 and 15 a game a lead a team to a championship? It's possible, but it is also entirely possible that he blows his knee out in game 2 and never sees the floor again. Are you so confident in his ability to deliver that you would be willing to commit all that capital to him just because he might get you over the finish line? That's ballsy.
So you don’t want to compete with other schools for players? You realize that’s a death sentence for the program right? It’s a hell of a lot more ballsy sitting back and not opening the wallet.

There is risk involved in signing anyone, in any sport. What if Aaron Judge blows his knee out?

This is what people don't get. In this new environment, we will have to overpay for someone of the quality needed to get us in the championship conversation. Pro teams do it all the time and now college teams will be doing it too.

If you believe a center like Dickinson is the missing piece (Kansas and Kentucky do) then you will pay above "market value". You could argue we have too many missing pieces so that type of $ doesn't make sense for us but that doesn't mean it's dumb.

Cuse

So you don’t want to compete with other schools for players? You realize that’s a death sentence for the program right? It’s a hell of a lot more ballsy sitting back and not opening the wallet.

There is risk involved in signing anyone, in any sport. What if Aaron Judge blows his knee out?
What are you even talking about? Not once have I said they shouldn't invest in players.

If you go back and read what I said there are two major parameters that need to be accepted for this discussion to be based in reality:

1) Syracuse does not have infinite money (a major difference from your pro sport example)
2) We do not know the outcome of any given players college career

If those realistic parameters are kept in mind then my argument is this:
- I believe that Syracuse should compete for the best players possible, but they should not over-invest. $5M (at this point in time) for a player who likely provides limited future value (unlikely to deliver a championship, unlikely to go to the NBA, unlikely to be an all star, unlikely to sign a max contract) is not worth the risk. It makes more sense to invest in a "lesser" player who gives you more potential "bang for your buck." If Hunter is asking for $5M and Cisse is asking for $800K, who do you take in that scenario assuming my above parameters are true? Note that there is no guarantee that 5M will be in the pot again next year.

Last edited:
This is what people don't get. In this new environment, we will have to overpay for someone of the quality needed to get us in the championship conversation. Pro teams do it all the time and now college teams will be doing it too.

If you believe a center like Dickinson is the missing piece (Kansas and Kentucky do) then you will pay above "market value". You could argue we have too many missing pieces so that type of $ doesn't make sense for us but that doesn't mean it's dumb.

Cuse
Do not agree at all. UK and Duke were buying blue chip prospects who were only going to college because they couldn't be drafted by NBA teams. That got them fewer championships than UConn. Top-25 teams, sure, but UVA, Nova, Michigan, Baylor, etc. were doing just as well without getting 4-5 of the top-15 recruits every season.

Talent isn't as good in college ball. Most of the players are clustered around the tiers below the top echelon. This is the first couple of seasons that NIL has made it possible to buy players pretty openly and so far, what I've seen, is that every one is excited about being able to add talent to their team for just cash. So they're going a little crazy. We'll see how it is in a few years when fans get tired of another disappointing season for the $3m they spent on transfer guys for a season.

What are you even talking about? Not once have I said they shouldn't invest in players.

If you go back and read what I said there are two major parameters that need to be accepted for this discussion to be based in reality:

1) Syracuse does not have infinite money (a major difference from your pro sport example)
2) We do not know the outcome of any given players college career

If those realistic parameters are kept in mind then my argument is this:
- I believe that Syracuse should compete for the best players possible, but they should not over-invest. $5M (at this point in time) for a player who likely provides limited future value (unlikely to deliver a championship, unlikely to go to the NBA, unlikely to be an all star, unlikely to sign a max contract) is not worth the risk. It makes more sense to invest in a "lesser" player who gives you more potential "bang for your buck." If Hunter is asking for $5M and Cisse is asking for $800K, who do you take in that scenario assuming my above parameters are true? Note that there is no guarantee that 5M will be in the pot again next year.
Baseball doesn’t have a salary cap, small market teams at least have arbitration to control a player for years, and has the ability to trade players. How many players stick around the small markets when their value goes up? Not many.

College sports is pretty much baseball without arbitration and trading. If we’re not going to compete in NIL we’ll lose anybody that comes in after the first year whether it to the draft or another basketball team every single year, I don’t get how you can’t comprehend this.

Does West Virginia have infinite money? They big boy’ed us for a player that “wasn’t worth it”.

You get what you pay for, you want to shop at Price Rite, we need to be shopping at Wegmans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom